Community Designed Unique: Unique Effect

Hello Travelers, and welcome to the fourth round of voting for the Community Designed Unique event!

Last Week we polled for the Community’s decision regarding the item theme. It turned out to be an extremely close race. While they were all great thematic options for the Unique item, two options were constantly fighting for the top spot, often tied, other times one would pull ahead by a single percentage, then the places would reverse. Eventually, in the final hours, one choice emerged the victor.

In one corner was the theme of “Tri-Elemental”. Sporting one of the core themes of the Mage class itself, Tri-Elemental would focus around, this particular class theme as the item theme. There were a lot of great ideas for what kind of unique effects we might see out of a tri-elemental weapon: True displays of why the Elders of the College are so revered for their mastery of this art.

In the other corner, was The Lost Refuge (also known as Rat City). The Lost Refuge represents one of the final bastions of humanity against the ever-encroaching Void before the final End of Time. The valiancy, bravery, and dire straights of this area emboldened many community members with strong unique effect ideas to try to stem the tide of the void.

However, there could only be one top pick for the poll, and that winner was: The Lost Refuge! Even in a poll, the last remnants of humanity would not give up the fight to emerge victorious. Sadly, The Lost Refuge in Eterra was not as successful, though with the Community Designed Unique, we will be immortalizing their efforts within Last Epoch!

Over the last several weeks, we’ve had you all submitting your ideas for unique effects, and adding likes to those unique effects so we can compile a list to be voted on. We’ve reviewed this list, and have picked out the ones to which the community provided the greatest response, as well as ones we enjoyed the most. With the options below, we’ve provided some brief outlines regarding them - though keep in mind the exact effects may be adjusted for balance, and complementary affixes will be selected by our design team to ensure the item fits into the game balance. Scroll below to find the unique effects, and decide: Which Unique Effect will this unique Mage-focused Spear from The Lost Refuge have?

Unique Item Effect
  • Cast Meteor on Critical Hit with Mana Strike
    (this effect has a 1 second cooldown, expends Meteor’s Mana cost)
  • Cast Elemental Nova on Melee Critical Hit
    (this effect has a 1 second cooldown, expends Elemental Nova’s Mana cost)
    +(Item to have complementary scaling stats per level)
  • Firebrand is converted to Void damage
    +Fireball is converted to Void damage.
    +Chance to cast Fireball on Firebrand Hit
    (expends Fireball’s Mana cost)
    +Fireball has a +X% chance to pierce targets
  • Firebrand is converted to Void damage
    +Firebrand deals X% more Void Damage
    +When a hit leaves you below endurance threshold, gain X% increased attack speed for 4 seconds
  • Volcanic Orb is converted to Void damage
    +Directly Casting Volcanic Orb grants a stack of Corrupted Heraldry
    +Chance to gain a stack of Corrupted Heraldry when hit by Volcanic Orb Shrapnel
    +Gain X% movement speed, X% increased mana regen, and +X spell void damage per stack of Corrupted Heraldry
    +All stacks of Corrupted Heraldry are lost upon using a movement skill

0 voters

Next week’s poll will be for the Item’s 2D art! We’re going to have our designers come up with 3 options for everyone to pick between. I know for myself it’s going to be really hard to pick out just one from the amazing art they tend to produce. For the future polls, make sure to start getting your ideas in for the Item’s Name, and/or Flavour Text for the May 13th Poll!

Again, as with every Friday, you can catch us live on Twitch 2022-04-22T20:00:00Z to ask questions about the poll, the game in general, or just hang out!

April 8th - Community Designed Unique Kick Off
April 15th - Community Designed Unique: Item Type
April 22nd - Community Designed Unique: Item Theme
April 29th - Community Designed Unique: Unique Effect
May 6th - Community Designed Unique: Item Art
May 13th - Community Designed Unique: Item Name and Flavour Text
May 27th - Community Designed Unique: Reveal!

11 Likes

Adding auto proc Elemental Nova to a crit spellblade… what could go wrong…

just put it on a Dragonslayer Glaive please… pretty please…

4 Likes

That one & the one that gives attack speed when a hit leaves you below your endurance threshold are about the only ones I wouldn’t want. There’s already some uniques that support Ele Nova, but none for Meteor (ignoring the set, obviously) or Volcanic Orb.

1 Like

Void volcanic orb yes please!!!

1 Like

There is Eye of Orexia for volcanic orb

I just want something for my spellblade and thats the only choice I can see that would make sense… :frowning: and I never really liked Meteor… and I am a sucker for anything that has level based scaling…

Meteor all day. Already have a build ready to go for it. Come on boys!

Meteor and void volcanic orb are both neat, I voted for mana strike meteor, the combo is just too natural. You get to spend the mana on meteor while getting it back with mana strike. Sorcs spells do increased damage for each point of mana cost, You can probably afford to amp the mana cost since you will have infinite mana from mana strike.

Meteor storm will finally be able to be spammed in all its glory!

I voted for Void Volcanic Orb, but in the end all Void conversions look amazing.

I really hope the item will get a huge amount of flat void spell damage (not adaptive spell damage), so it will be easier to scale with other items and skills using Dark Shroud of Cinders and Sacrifial Embrace. So you can throw in some “regular mage skills” that just get a huge amount of flat void damage

It does say flat void spell damage…

You could probably even use the -VO speed idols to turn it into a skill that buffs you (& you sit on it getting hit by loads of shrapnel) rather than damages mobs to buff your other spells.

And nothing in the post is final, thus I empasized that I want flat spell void damage over anything else, to make it more compatible with other already existing items.

Is there an option for none of the above, to me all of these options are terrible, when you see them in a list they sound cool, but I don’t think you guys are really thinking this through.

2 Likes

Hmm, it seems like most of these are void scaling rather than tri-elemental… and it won’t be compatible with the (full) existing tri-elemental+void set we have from Gaspar. Interested to see how this gets pulled off.

Regardless… Long live Rat City!

So sad to see all the unique effects pigeon hold you to playing mage exclusively. I was hoping for them to make it sorta an obvious good choice for mage but leave specific skill unique affixes out so as to not make you feel bad from using it with another class (which would miss out on all those affixes).

2 Likes

Suggestion for name and flavourtext for next weeks poll:

Name: Victorious Downfall
Flavourtext: “This weapon was used in the final battle of the Lost Refuge. The battle was lost that day, but the deeds done that night, can still be felt, when holding this weapon”

2 Likes

Name suggestion: “Ducks Vengeance”
Text : "forged from a single feather of a primordial Duck which has been corrupted by the void after thousands of years. This weapon is sure to bring death to the wielders enemies and many more. How many lives is a victory worth? "

1 Like

I really like the Cast on Crit ideas, but my boy Volcanic Orb desperately needs support.

Shockingly, a Mage Spear is going to make you play Mage :scream: :scream: :scream:

That particular unique effect would convert both Firebrand, and Fireball to void, chance to cast Fireball on Firebrand hit, and provide Fireball a chance to pierce

1 Like

I am a bit sad about how boring all these choices are. I like when uniques heavily suggest something but don’t outright force it. Every single one of these names one (or more) mage skills that you have to use. and gives very little choice in how you use it.

Things that would have been more interesting would be things like “your melee fire attacks are converted to void. If using a fire skill that was converted to void that costs 0 mana, deal…”

3 Likes