Community Designed Unique: Unique Effect

Elemental nova on crit is really cool.

Meteor on mana strike crit! Woo! :smiley:

These are exactly my toughts. I will just copy paste a comment I made on this on reddit:

"While I know they want the unique to be intended, but not limited to mage, I believe associating a class specific skill to it makes it somewhat of a “feel bad” feeling using the item with other classes as you lose entirely on that part of the item.

I think what they should do is to make the unique modifiers on the item very “obvious” (to put it some way) that it would work with mage class in specific, but keep room for creative uses for other classes (if any, but leave that to the player or for the future new items/skills interactions), like for example:

“-x% less lightning skills hit damage, +x Ward for each enemy you hit with a lightning skill”

This mod would enable mage (a ward defensively-oriented class) have reliable ward generation but also let Rogue for example consider ward generation using Detonating Arrow or Shurikens."

When we were reviewing the submissions for the unique effects, we certainly discussed if we wanted to add additional options of our own that were more generic since the community submissions were more limited by particular skills. However for a few reasons, one of which was the integrity of it being a “Community Designed Unique”, we decided to only put forth suggestions submitted by community members. However we will continue to internally design more unique items which have stronger cross-class potential.

4 Likes

I wish i could vote for

Yes, I completly understand now.

I was wrong since I tought (and apparently all hosts Perry, Dread and McFluffin on today’s community podcast) that the options given were all from a selection on your end. We did not know that the options were from the suggestions the community made on the forums but thats my fault since rereading the original post it was clearly stated.

I completly understand the narrower choices now, given how they were suggested.

On top of that, Mage was specifically chosen by the community and making a generic unique that could be used by any class doesn’t really meet that.

1 Like

But they did state this on the original post:

“We want to start by defining a class focus for the item. The item won’t necessarily be restricted to use by this class, but instead be the “intended” use case…”

So as I wrote on a post above one way they could do it is add mods that make it “obvious” to be good for a mage but leave room for creative uses.

yeah, this what we all thought of, and didn’t think much about the plethora of other things that could be made for use with other classes. seems like a lot of people who don’t frequent the forums much, also had no idea that we were giving unique ideas, and anyone could have.

Why even vote for a spear if you don’t go for melee synergy? Might as well just make it a staff at this point if Volcanic Orb wins.

3 Likes

Gandalf’s staff(Spear)

100% inc light radius.
60% inc melee attack speed.
you cannot cast spells.
spell damage bonus to attack damage.
add spell damage apply to melee attack.

1 Like

Oh, but what about all those thousands of uniques that pigeon-hole you to play Acolyte?!
There are like 2 unique 2-handers useable by mages. Now count how many are useable by Acolyte.

As for the choices, I was extremely against anything related to Void spell damage.
I don’t have anything against void as damage type per se – it’s just that there are too few items that might support such a build on Mage.

But now that I see this Volcanic Orb effect, it might be not such a terrible thing!
Naturally, I voted for Meteor myself, because holy crap this is Awesome!
But if Volcanic Orb wins, I won’t be too upset.

Just curious, will it be technically possible at some point for all of the options to be a possible roll on the unique but when it drops a random one is chosen? I think I remember a question like this being asked a while back but not sure if anything has changed internally

1 Like

Really enjoying this event. Voted for volcanic orb ofcourse, not because it’s a little spin on my own suggestion but because I feel it actually offers a change in playstyle by discouraging teleport.

Suggestion-time!

Forgotten Hope

Kinda generic but I like simple names, and I feel like it references the story of the refuge without being too on the nose. With that being said, names are HARD.

I think it would be fun if the flavor text somehow referenced that it is a community item, and/or the process.

“At no point in the grueling weeks of the Voids siege did the community of the Lost Refuge lose their Hope”

Hey, the current leader is a spear that needs you to directly cast a spell with no melee support and actively discourages you from using a movement skill? What could go wrong!

(Vote for meteor or ele nova folks. We don’t have to flub this up!)

7 Likes

Why bother choosing a spear to cast a spell??? This thing should be melee focused , people voting on this are clueless, sorry.

2 Likes

It’s a democracy, what were you expecting?

1 Like

I was expecting better options not this nonsense but ok

Okay, it is a spear. That we do not know what the base stats of are. These stats could offer melee support and create synergy with the adaptive spell damage of Firebrand.

There is also a two-handed sword in the game that supports an ability with no melee synergy (Please buff Battlemages Endeavour!), maybe we should change it because it is a melee weapon after all. It should definately only support melee. I realise they don’t work the same way at all but come on. Just because it’s a spear, it has to be this one thing?

I for one LOVE movement speed, and would happily trade it for teleport. It’s one of the most powerful stats and depending on numbers it could be a worthwhile trade. Maybe it’s not and the item won’t suitable for the highest end builds, and maybe that’s OK?

The final thing I’ll say about the item itself. We already HAVE things that proc on crit, we have abilities that chain other abilities. That doesn’t offer anything new. This could offer a new way to play mage, that doesn’t use teleport. And that’s just a flub? No, let’s get more of the same.

And the very last thing I’ll say is, is it really appropriate for someone who is a bit of a public figure in the community (participating in podcasts etc) to try and directly influence the poll by telling people what to vote?

1 Like

Insulting people who voted a certain way in a community poll is in such horribly poor taste. Come on dude, be better.