My offline character progress isn't saving

I’m not really sure what’s going on, however, whenever I go back to playing after quitting and being told my progress is saved. My offline character will be level 1 and back at the start the prologue. I’ve made new characters, turned off cloud saving and validated my files. None of those solutions have fixed the issue. It’s starting to bum me out a little, replaying the first chapter over and over again.

Edit: The issue seems to have resolved itself. My characters are saving now. I’m going to assume it was something on my end. A manual save should be considered though.

Heya

Youll need to supply a log file (preferably multiple over several sessions) for the developers to investigate.

Just wanted to note that this is indeed still happening after the offline progression fixes. Created around 12 hardcore CF characters in last week, around half of my chars have had this issue once(!). Once the character data starts saving, its progress continues to be saved. However, it has been very often that, let’s say, the session where you rush to masteries just gets ignored and the character is level 1 when you logout.

As a side bonus, you cannot die when this happens - you get to 0 hp and any further damage gets ignored.

To counteract this, I’ve been logging out after I reach level 2 or 12 or whatever to check if I don’t need to start again. If you are no longer lvl 1 on character screen, this does not happen.

Can confirm, still happening. Levelled from 1-Masteries last night, logged in today and my character was level 1 :frowning: Offline only.

Also can confirm that at one point I noticed my character went to 0hp but wasn’t dead…

Can confirm this is still happening, fix didn’t fix it. Everything EME_OBS wrote is accurate, only I lost about 75% of the characters I started, well over a dozen in the last week or so. On Windows 10, Steam sync off, game files pass integrity check.

I have been having the same problem. I tried EME_OBS solution, and I still was losing progress even after making sure the character progress had been saved. Currently been having no issue, but this is what I did for a work around, not sure if all these steps are needed, but this is what I did.

Uninstalled the game, deleted any left over files, and restarted my computer. I have no save game files. Turned off cloud save on Steam. Not sure if these previous steps are necessary, but I had started with this.

Now this seems to be the linch pin in making this work, when on the game start screen, choose online character, then back into the character select screen/list, and choose offline at the top of that list. Then create a character, or select. After leveling to a character to level 2, and getting to the first camp I went back to the character select screen to check, and out of the 6 times I have tried it, every time my progress was saved. Did this after I reached the refuge, and progress was still being saved. I have not had a problem as long as I start in online mode when I load the game. The one time I did start the game in offline mode, I ran into the progression not saving problem.

I am cautiously optimistic that this is solving the issue, but until I spend more time proving this out.

Tried everything step by step, didn’t help unfortunately. Even tried a clean install on a different PC that never ran the game before.

What I’ve noticed is that the first character I create after launching the game always seems to save properly but additional characters don’t. Another thing that helps is to alt-tab and check the date modified column of your save file, it should update every minute or so. This way you don’t have to exit to menu to check and hope that it’s still working after you resume.

If you notice this occurring for one of your characters again, could you upload the player log from that play session? This will likely help us figure this out. Thanks!

Sure thing:

run 1.log (231.9 KB)
run 2.log (177.7 KB)

Pretty easy to reproduce so I made two sample logs. Let me know if you need anything else!

Sorry for following up so late, unfortunately the logs didn’t have any useful information for this issue.

If you’re still able to consistently reproduce this issue, I have some questions:
Is the bugged character Hardcore? Are they Character Found?
eme_obs reported that characters affected by this bug also don’t die upon reaching zero health. Does this occur for you?
You mentioned the first character created in a play session always works, while future characters don’t. Is that consistent? Are there any other discrepancies you notice between the first and future characters?
Another user reported the issue occurring when entering the game in offline mode (at the login screen, before choosing an offline character). Are you doing the same? If so, does the issue still occur if you enter the game in online mode before selecting an offline character?
Does the issue occur even if you exit game in the first area, The Forest Trail?
How are you exiting the game? For example is it via “Leave Game”, “Exit to Desktop”, or something else?

Some players have reported that the issue spontaneously stopped happening for them, so I want to check some unexpected causes:
Does the issue persist after restarting PC?
Does the issue persist after reinstalling the game?

Sorry for asking for so much, but any information you can provide will be very appreciated.

HC or SC doesn’t matter, happens to both. All characters were self found.

The not dying at 0 health bug happened to me multiple times but I am quite confident it is unrelated; haven’t experienced it for weeks now and when it did happen before I was usually on a character that was otherwise saving properly.

Normally I enter the game in offline mode. I tried entering via online and switching back and forth between online and offline characters a few times when it was mentioned as a possible solution but the bug persisted.

I tried exiting in the Forest Trail just now specifically to answer your question and it still happened. Leave game or exit to desktop also doesn’t make a difference.

I turn off my PC every night, have tried a clean install on a different ssd, deleted all residual files in the game folder and in local low, did steam file integrity checks and even installed on a different machine. None of these got rid of the issue.

I did another hour of testing today and I think I may have stumbled upon something; It seems the crux of the issue is deleting an already existing character and reusing that character slot for a new one.

Sorry in advance if I’m being too verbose here but I don’t know what little detail might matter and I want to walk you through what I did in my previous sessions and what changed today:

1. delete the save folder to start with a clean slate
  2. launch the game
  3. log in via offline
  4. create new offline character (rogue, self found, HC or SC, random name)
  5. kill all monsters in forest trail until I reach level 2
  6. run to next zone
  7. exit via leave game
  8. log back in via offline
  9. check if the character saved (first one does, consecutive ones don’t)
  10. delete old character
  11. repeat steps 4 through 10 three more times
  12. exit game
  13. start new session from step 1, changing only one variable at a time to see if it makes a difference (anything from killing more monsters, turning off chat, moving skills to different slots, not picking up any items, trying different classes, suiciding a couple of times, lingering in a zone for a few more minutes, etc…)

From here on what I refer to as a session is everything from step 1 to 12 and run means step 5 to 9.

Nothing I tried worked. Well today when I started I forgot step 1 so when I entered I had a lvl 70+ and a lvl 2 character already created on the roster. I deleted the lvl 2 one, made a new character, did a single run and unlike in my previous tests this one did NOT save even though it was the first character I created that session. Then I did another run without deleting anything and this was saved. Complete opposite of what was happening before.

Exited the game, deleted save folder, went back in and did six more runs with new characters, never deleting any of the old ones and this time all of them were saving my progress. Then I deleted the last created character, did another run, this one did NOT save.

I tried a few permutations of this last session with different numbers of characters, deleting and not deleting previous characters at various points into the session, deleting multiple times during a single session and it happened with 100% consistency: If I deleted a character the next run never saved, if I did not delete anything the next run always saved properly.

Hopefully this wasn’t too confusing and gets you closer to finding the bug.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your work! Not deleting offlane characters works for me to prevent this bug. As you did, I deleted my save folder, then created an offlane character and haven’t faced this bug so far.
I suppose the procedure of deleting an offlane character makes game save files broken so they can’t be read or updated by the game correctly?

Thank you so much for the help! Like you described, the issue is deleting an offline Character Found character causes the next offline character played to fail to save. We’ll work on a fix.

2 Likes

Glad to hear you were able to reproduce it!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.