Offline Charecter got reset back to level 1 after a long session

Hello,

I just wanted to give a heads up that the offline progress wipe bug is happening again. Yesterday I created a new HC SF Mage level him to about level 30 and decided to log for the day (I played continuously for about 4+ hours in one sitting, no logouts), today when I logged back in the char is at lvl1 in the tutorial area.

EDIT: Just checked the AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\Saves folder and realized that the saves are stored as JSON files. Please use SQLite Home Page for local storage, I know it’s a tad harder to implement but using this and updating the stats as the player is getting them would go a long way to prevent issues like this, You could also do a periodic snapshot of character in sqlite so at least we get only a partial rollback. Once again thank you for the awesome game and keep up the good work.

Edit2: Just to clarify you can dump the JSON in an BLOB, don’t need to recreate the JSON schema as Tables :)))))

Thanks <3

Depending on if it was overwritten or not, there is usually a backup copy of the savegame in the same folder - if you are lucky you can swap them around. If not, well, you tried. If you are really lucky and use Steam Cloud saves, you can also see if there is a backup of your char on Steam (via their steam web interface, not the steam client).

As for SQLLite. Thats entirely up to the devs and probably indirectly the game engine used (Unity). It already changed in 0.9 so they are obviously working on this. I am however not entirely sure why SQLLite would make any difference to a bug in-game that isnt saving progress properly - if its a table update vs a file write, the bug is still there.

I haven’t programmed for devices in 5+ years but if I remember correctly usually file writes don’t guarantee the write to disk, the only way to do it is using an OS command that flushed the buffer to the disk, I remeber sqlite doing something to guarantee the write. I never worked with Windows but basically in Linux you need to fsync fsync(2) - Linux manual page to be 100% sure that the data was written.

Yeah. There are many ways to skin this particular cat and maybe using a db backend is a viable option vs text based savegames. Thats up to the devs. Right now it would be great if they found and fixed this particular issue either way.

True and real. Sadly this bug is a deal breaker for me: I play ARPGs as rogue-likes, Hardcore and Self-fund. Online play is to janky for it, tried it and died a couple of times due to elastic-banding so offline is the only way to do it. I’ll keep checking patch notes and when this issue is resolved I’ll give it another try.

1 Like

See - perhaps you could contribute your findings there too?

It has done this for two of my characters. First character was a hardcore character I died with. It was there, lvl 1 when I stared playing today which was strange but I did not think of it and deleted. My current character did not die and I exited while in the council chamber around level 25. When I restarted game it was level 1.

After some testing it seem to have stabilized after I turned off cloud sync, uninstalled the game and removed the Eleventhhour folder from local app data. Noticed there was some very old folders and backups of old characters there. Suspect this is an issue with old files doing something with the save mechanism.

In the other thread there is an update regarding deleted characters causing new characters not to save because the new char is in the “deleted” chars slot - or something like that. The devs have said that they have replicated the issue, but are still working on a fix.

Its likely that your removing the last epoch folder is exactly what stabalised this for you because you effectively removed the characterslots and “reset” things.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.