Auto pickup shards

Exactly. If you’re taking the time to read them, you might as well just click on them to pick them up. Otherwise, if there’s 1 you want in a stack of 6… then you waste your time reading 6, and then clicking over to pick them up. Instead of just going to pick them up. It’s call efficiency, and the current process isn’t efficient in any manner, whatsoever. And doesn’t even require any thought…simply picking up every shard/rune/glyph that drops is the fastest/easiest/most efficient method.

If reading item drops is soooooooo engaging, do you turn off your item filter, so you can read every item, and explore the affixes on them? Yeah, didn’t think so.

5 Likes

The only way I would accept pickup shards is if they actually made them filterable and actually coloured them based on rarity instead of character class. Only then will I be excited at a shard drop, because I will KNOW it is what I was looking for the instant it drops.

Every single PoE loot filter distinguishes between chaos, divine and the really cheap transmutation orbs - and shards behave a lot like PoE currency, right down to being used for crafting and having different rarity drops.

I find that filter makes the drops more exciting because I can get a near perfect item and instantly know it is near perfect.

One of the stated problems that shards “solve” is to ensure that everybody gets some drops in their play sessions, even when using very strict filters.
They serve as a constant source of drops that everybody gets and can therefore be finely tuned without player interference.

They are not filterable on purpose, because if you could filter worthless shards out, there would be no constant stream of shards to pickup (since 99% of the shards are useless to any given build).

But that would be an argument for NOT having it require clicks. As it would be a constant source of income similar to gold.

Either they want shards to matter and for them to not be a constant source of value, but value similar to gear drop value when they do drop… or they want them to be constantly dropping, but be mostly interchangeable with each other to the point of each shard being mostly worthless.

They seem to be trying to go in both directions, but are wondering why people are annoyed

5 Likes

Let me ask you this: Do people read shards when they pick them up? Do they EVER inspect the shards they picked up in the inventory or do they just send them to forge? Does lowering shard frequency actually change if people pay attention to what shards drop or do they just automatically pick them up then send to forge afterwards? Can they even remember that they picked up shards a few seconds after doing so?

• Where did you get these numbers that you came with this answer?
  • How certain are you that EVERYONE reads them? (The fact there are a LOT of people suggesting auto pick up to be implemented already means a lot of people DOESN’T read them or straight up just doesn’t care what shard they click on and completely disagrees).
  • Even with fewer shard drop, I don’t think this is even enough to make someone read it.
  • Well OBVIOUSLY you’re gonna remember the shard you’re “looking” for. But for the majority of the shards? No, most likely.

If ever I need a shard, I filter it through equipment and use rune of removal or shattering. If I’m looking for one, I find it through equipment through loot filter. If I think I need something, I check my shard stash and search for what I’m missing there.

And what’s the point of reading them if the shards are all grouped up together and you pick them all at the same time anyways? What if I accidentally clicked the other common shard and the rare one ofc goes in my inventory too? When this happens I just leave it be, there’s no visual indicator for rare shard and I just click the “transfer” button and move on. If I pick up plenty of shards, I have no time to hover my mouse on each shard, 1 by 1 just to find that “rare” shard.

During combat, do you even have time to read the shard on ground especially when it’s chaotic and requires you to dodge more in higher corruptions? you’re most likely pick it up and maybe read later. But if there’s a lot, you’ll most likely just gonna press the transfer button.

If you’re so against this, at least maybe make this a toggle option in the settings for those people who read them. Or the other most-requested add a pickup/drop item hotkey just to make the game more enjoying. And fix the left click problem. What left click problem you ask? this one. And plenty of reason in that thread why this game needs this feature. I really hope you read them.

Part of the reason why I stop playing sometimes is not because I’m tired but rather my right hand hurts due to the excessive clicking this game has to offer. It’s too focused on left clicks when we could have some be done via keyboard.

A lot of people here have made valid points why it should be implemented. I know not everyone agrees but if the majority is asking for it and not just asking but some are complaining, maybe you and the team should reconsider.

And I should thank those people here in this thread that made a good reason and valid points for this topic, I’ve read most of them, though the devs just calls it “There isn’t anything novel in them”. I’m out of this conversation.

4 Likes

I don’t need to be sure that everyone does this, only that anyone does this to answer the questions like that. There are many different players who play many different ways and I’m not discounting any of those. Speaking in absolutes can be very dangerous when trying to prove a point.

Once again, I have continued to read every entry in this thread.

I agree that there are many valid points being made here. I never said that the points made here weren’t. We specifically held a very large in depth meeting about this topic because of the feedback that we have received. That was 2 weeks ago today, so still very recent.

The fact that nothing new has been presented in this topic doesn’t discount them as bad points but rather does mean that we have already discussed these exact points in excruciating detail and I don’t believe it would be a wise use of our time to have the same conversation again without the presence of new information.

Lots of people have very good, non-novel ideas every day. I don’t think that it is offensive to say that something isn’t novel. Clearly I was wrong as I’ve received a few DM’s now about how terrible that was to say.

6 Likes

Everyone wants to think they are a special unicorn.

I don’t need to be sure that everyone does this, only that anyone does this to answer the questions like that. There are many different players who play many different ways and I’m not discounting any of those. Speaking in absolutes can be very dangerous when trying to prove a point.

How are those who doesn’t read the shards (like me) any different for those “people who play differently”? They read it and I don’t, then that means I play different, right? Yes there are people who read them but for people who doesn’t read them? Isn’t it the opposite of what you said about discounting the ideas? That’s why there are other threads here too that suggests an alternative like toggle auto pick up or pick up item hotkey so you don’t have to completely remove it for those who want to read the shard they pick up. There are many good points in those thread because it benefits the other without hurting the other. And I wasn’t stating any absolutes in my previous reply. Those are merely from your answers ("Yes"es) and what seems to be the majority here suggests.

The fact that nothing new has been presented in this topic doesn’t discount them as bad points but rather does mean that we have already discussed these exact points in excruciating detail and I don’t believe it would be a wise use of our time to have the same conversation again without the presence of new information.

Then let me hear a “good” and a “novel” suggestion that can turn this around. I understand reading the same stuff over and over again can be really tiring, but isn’t that how suggestions work? I’m not saying the people suggesting it must be provided of what they want. But it’s about a game, a quality of life, something to make the game more enjoyable and less tiring on top of the hundreds of reasons why people are suggesting it in the first place. That’s why I said maybe you should reconsider or re-discuss it with the team. What is there even more to provide when most of us have already pointed it out and the devs just thinks those are not enough? That’s why topics like this keeps resurfacing. So, just be original and unique then?

I just want to clear this out too. I wasn’t being hostile or hurt of what you said that I quoted in my previous reply. I was just stating my opinion. I feel bad if you got DMs about it and I don’t think anyone should do that either. Anyway, that’s it. I will still await these features in the game. Maybe one day.

Everyone wants to think they are a special unicorn.

So if someone disagrees with something or someone suggests a way to improve the game, they surely think and feel they’re special?

1 Like

No, people who think they have some groundbreaking unique idea think they are special. The vast majority are just reiterating what has already been thought of and said.

1 Like

The devs forget that players are VERY GOOD at noticing that there is a problem. Just because people say something is wrong for the thousandth time doesn’t mean you should ignore them.

In fact it generally means you should be paying attention and maybe talk about it again.

As it stands the design decision of shards seem to conflict in every possible way, they want them to have “weight” yet they do not allow filtering or even highlight rare shards, they want them to be bulk currency so that the player has a constant reward, yet they force players to click on them - the idea of shards being different and the idea of shards being bulk currency is also opposing ideas. I just want them to make up their minds already about how to handle shards because it looks like they do not even know what they want for them - until they do there will something that feels off about them.

What are shards to the devs? Can they describe them in simple terms or are they going to give a vague non-answer?

6 Likes

An idea doesn’t have to be unique or special in any way to make something work or to make something improve. Just because I repeat other person’s idea doesn’t mean it’s unoriginal and must be ignored or be completely be thrown out of the window. It just simply mean I agree with them and I share the same view and sentiment.

So what’s this? Who ever can’t come up with a new or interesting ideas needs to shut up? It’s about ideas, ofc there will ALWAYS be people who share the same ones.

Edit: Here where we live have some problem with the subdivision’s fence. Means we’re vulnerable to outside elements. Our neighbor suggested to the office to fix the fence. My family must be unoriginal and special if we were also suggest the same.

2 Likes

Are you daft? Try to keep up. My comment was in regards to Mike saying he got DMs about people being upset/offended that he said their ideas weren’t novel. Obviously you must have been one of them. Get over yourself.

1 Like

Your proof? And maybe you should’ve replied directly on his comment to avoid confusion, it’s there for a reason.

And why did you even reply to this if it wasn’t for me? All I did was make a reply to this and now you’re accusing me?

Edit: It doesn’t matter whether it’s for me or for mike. I simply disagreed with your comment and made my statement about it. Seriously? Someone makes suggestions and they think they’re special? And also

https://puu.sh/JEEwj/c2958dc884.jpg

Here’s my “Sent” screenshot. Maybe next time stop accusing people of something they haven’t done without providing any proof.

1 Like

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that you were one of them. You weren’t. I know you know you weren’t. but yea.

No no no. Don’t misunderstand, I’m not saying you were implying I was one of them and I never felt that way to begin with. It’s just one dude got salty because he got a reply to his comment when I just clearly just disagreed and made a statement and started accusing me instead.

WTF? I don’t know if I should laugh or cry. Hopefully said persons never have interactions with the average german person who opposes their point in a discussion.

Saying soming isn’t not novel is in no was something people should make a fuzz about. You managed a topic like trading well after some issues in the beginning so why should something like shards turn out to be a big problem :smiley: .

I get it some people have different priorities but I don’t think these words are a reason to bother a dev ^^.

2 Likes

I know you know this already, but I think it should be publicly expressed by as many people as possible that anyone who said that to you is a being a bingbong and you should feel no shame in ignoring them.

Maybe in the sense that they are good at inventing problems, getting madder than makes any sense or reason to get about them, and then yelling excessively about them, sure.

1 Like

While this is true, it doesn’t invalidate what he said and implying that players only ever rage about imaginary shit is both ironic and derogatory point-scoring crap. But you do you mate…

1 Like

Just wanted to give my experience here, and why it’s annoying, and why it takes me out of the moment of playing the game. +1 in the camp that wants autopickup. +1 in the camp that wants a pet that does it for me.

It boils down to; i need to click exactly on the title to pick up an item and i need to wait until my char gets to where ever it is on the map that is close enough to the item for it to be picked up.

Especially if I’m playing a more mobile character, the act of doing those things takes me out of the moment and adds quite a bit of annoyance. Important to note that it wasn’t an annoyance initially, but by now it has reached the ‘nope’ stage. So the stuff that you think should add to my enjoyment/engagement? Yeah, that stuff, because the way it’s implemented, is actively decreasing my enjoyment.

I want the shards (always), but just the mechanics of actually going out of my way and having to slow down to pickup a shard takes me out of the game and reduces my enjoyment.

An aside: I also want the rare/less common shards that are a part of an item. Like +1 to a skill or a hybrid. I create a lot of different alts, I don’t enjoy messing with the filter (I actually kind of hate the idea of a filter, but I know I’m rare in that regard), so if you could add a way in the filter to directly* target items that include a shard that is less common (all the way to rare), I’d love that.

*Heavy showed me how to do this in an indirect way but I just don’t want to do it for every character (yes, I could probably create a base class filter that I use for each new alt and then rename… but I hate the filters even though they are brilliantly executed and work very well).

4 Likes

Hello, just want to tell my experience here because i really like this game BUT… Im quiting this game only because there is nothing like autopickup shards, its so anoying/sad clicking every single one of them after literally each kill like holy moly this is some 0 IQ stuff, especially when im killing everything with tele so its really speedrun and if i want FKING SHARD i need to slow down teleport back where i was pick it up and run back again like wow clap… Idk but it is so hard to add some microtransation to buy a fking pet that will collecting them or smthing ? Good thing is i had a dream where was autopickup so i hope that dream was my future. Howk

2 Likes