This is getting ridiculus - getting legendaries

Go for higher LP items if you want a better guarantee. Youre choosing to take a bigger risk by getting the cheaper/more common item.

Completely agree with the OP, the LP drop rate is garbage for COF players. So tired of getting all 1 LP items. Good thing the new POE season is out.

I respect your statement, but I still do think that the legendary system as it is right now is one of the single best item system that was ever added into a loot based ARPG. I really don’t think anything about the system is “tedious” that is a word I personally never thought applies to the system.

But why is that? I think the problem is that the system is too simple and easy to understand.

It is not exactly the same but if you compare it with things like Path of Exile there are Influenced-Only affixes and Elevated Versions of these affixes.

New players also don’t have any expectations of getting a double influence item with 2 good influence mods and one of them being elevated. Those items are at the absolute top end.

Why? Because that system is a lot more convuluted and hard to grasp.
I LE putting 2 or 3 LP on a items is fundamentally the same, just that the number is 1 higher. It seems like it is more in reach. And then there is the chance of not getting what you want.

But ultimately player think that that 2 or 3 LP chase unique is something they can get and they are chasing it, until they realize, it is not that easy.

Maybe it is a mistake from the build guides as well, when they do put these top end things into the planner and people don’t even understand or read that that is absolute top end chase and no way necessary.

But that is the thing the 1 in 4 chance is a lot in people’s head. Because they think there is only one good outcome, while in reality there are potentially 4 outcomes that could all be good. I know there are certain situations where you need a very specific affix otherwise the unique will not be usable, but those are exceptions for the most part.

No exactly not. Especially for the non-rare uniques you can go with the approach of saying:“Ok I want this one specific affix otherwise the item is not good enough. The item is not rare and easily farm able multiple times. So I use a exalted item with 3 bad and the 1 desired Stat”
And then you would only use “good exalted items” if you get it with 2 or 3 LP

1 Like

It’s always a pleasure talking to you. For one, you think about things completely differently than I do, so it’s always interesting. For two, you are (it seems to me) very objective, unemotional and intellectually honest. I really do feel like you are open to other ideas and haven’t already made up your mind on any topic (except what your preferences are, which … correct? expected? sane. let’s just say sane). I know personally that I struggle to be like that, frequently I’ve made up my mind and it’s hard for anyone to change it.

Back to the topic. Put your last two points together;

So I get what your are saying, and I kind of agree that for non-near-endgame items that it’s not hard to find an exalted item with three decent stats and that is ‘good enough’ for what the person is trying to do.

But now take the case where you have a rare item that finally rolls with 1LP and it’s the only item you’ve found that has 1LP and it has decent stats. Now say that there are only two affixes that would really help that item.

Imo this is where the system is two … I don’t really want to use the word punishing here, but I can’t figure out what I mean. Let’s say, “disappointing”, because the user has to spend time getting a item with good rolls on those two affixes, and probably two more affixes that are, like “ok, I guess”. If you fail to get something decent in this scenario, I struggle to see how this doesn’t feel bad for most players.

I don’t know if EHG sees this as an issue, and if they do, I don’t know how they would fix it. But think the easiest case is just to add a little certainty into a game with an already massive amount of RNG - let each unique be slammed three times.

1 Like

Could see something like this, BUT the opportunity to slam the same unique multiple times would need to come with a massive cost. Something that is so rare that it really is not worth it for the most uniques.
Something along the rarity of a Rune of Creation.

Call it Rune of the Clairvoyant or whatever and it gives you chances to glimpse into the future when putting the item into the Eternity Cache.
And then if you don’t like the results you can “reroll the choose affix.
(The process is not irreversible and the chosen items stay the same and you can’t” cancel", only reroll the chosen affix.)

Also this should be something that even MG players would nee d to farm on their own and can’t buy.

Completely agree. The current LP slamming is boring and not fun. There must be a way to “un-slam” the LP, to be able to slam again, without bricking the item, see here - Slamming Exalts should not brick the Legendary item

The cost would be using another legendary item. Simple solution.

Bricking an item is part of the whole process and without this potential it becomes less exciting to get the perfect Legendary. I don’t think taking potential away promotes longevity for the game. That being said I do think some adjustments to improve the odds would be nice.

Would love to see a benefit for running higher tiers and slamming lower level uniques. Something something like:

A unique that is below level 75 has an increased chance to select higher tier affixes when using the eternity cache.

Still RNG and doesn’t break the LP mechanic but you can get a chance of a better outcome by doing it at a higher tier IMO.

1 Like

That would a) not be a massive cost and b) would add more tedium, because you just need to run another worthless dungeon run just to have another legendary.

So this would be a bad solution

The only thing terrible about the current system is the god awful dungeon runs. The fight with Julra is fine. But I fucking hate the dungeon layout and long load times reserved for dungeons. The road blocks are there to actively waste our time and while running it once or twice is bearable, I fucking can’t stand running it more than 3 times a day. Make dungeons hard, I’m fine with that. But one of the worst design choices any game devs ever implement are things that are put in purely to waste time (road blocks in dungeons, god awful long walks for towns before unlocking waypoint).

Let us speed run through the dungeons. Only have one map before the boss. Make it harder, I don’t care. Just don’t make it tedious.

4 Likes

And once again, the stupid nature of the LP/Legendary system is highlighted. Yes, he walked into a 25% success chance, because getting a better chance than that gets exponentially more frustrating…especially if you’re dealing with a rare or semi-rare Unique. But hey, I’ve been told infinitely nested levels of RNG is both fun and healthy for the game. As can be seen by all the posts, complaining about it, that are being complaining about.

The random blockades are truly annoying.

@DirePenguin
My hot take is EHG should change the baseline and get rid of LP0 uniques. The drop rate stays the same but theres more chances to roll higher LP uniques.

I dont mind running sanctum but it is very disheartening that each attempt of upgrade costs hours of farming. I’d like the RNG gamble more if i had access to more chances to spin the wheel.

3 Likes

Yes, RPGs feast off of RNG. OMG is that news to us? Perhaps guild wars 2 is a better game for you?

2 Likes

D2’s RNG was, ‘the thing drops’. The only way that RNG was combined with RNG was in runecrafting and that was, ‘the item with correct number of sockets drops, and the runes you need drop’. Actual runecrafting, D2 crafting, was deterministic. So you got through all the RNG up front, and the crafting was success (unless YOU screwed up).

Now we have LE, which is multiple levels of RNG upon RNG and some folks don’t like it. I don’t. But sure, it must be the fault of the folks who are finding it too much. The same folks that have played every version of Diablo, Grimdawn, Titan’s Quest and PoE. I personally have been playing them for decades. But you’ve opened my eyes, ARPGs must not be for me. I’ve been a fool!

If LE was simply an incredible joy to play at every single step along the way, I think the number of people complaining about this would be far less. But, while the skill systems are amongst the best in the business, everything else is largely, ‘meh’. A blend of ‘good enough’
and ‘not horrible’. So I play a char until I hit 75 and the itemization slows down. I create an alt or two until I can’t not see that I’m just doing the same thing with different pretty lights and I start to look around to see if there somethings else to play, and I come here and post about what I think could be improved. Until I don’t.

But sure, you end the conversation with, “perhaps this game isn’t for you”, as if that is something that is in anyway true or is something that the developers want players saying to each other.

5 Likes

It’s the same, uninspired, argument, every time.

But, you’re right. I’ve played plenty of aRPGs. GD, TQ, all the Diablos, all the TLs, etc etc. LE isn’t really revolutionary, so it needs something else. It’s fun. But, unfortunately, in smaller doses than most of the others. I can hop into GD right now, and play it for a month or so. LE wears me down after about a week.

Why? No end game. Monoliths? Basically just D3 GRs without a key, and comes with an effect. POE mapping is far more involved – sextants, scarabs, rolling modifiers, master mods, blight, etc. Then there’s the loot frustration. Yes, loot is frustrating. It’s not fun. Not compelling. Not engaging. And the draconian mindset around loot acquisition needing to be a full-time job just doesn’t help.

The builds can be fun. But it seems like everything is broken, to some extent… So who knows what there will be to play tomorrow. LE’s track record with balance hasn’t exactly been stellar.

Really, the game feels less polished, 2 months into v1.0, than it did prior to the MP patch of v0.9(?)

6 Likes

And you’re also looking at D2 in rose colored glasses. You’re right that RNG wasn’t layered like it is nowadays. However, it was also true that the gameplay loop, while acceptable back then, would be excoriated now. POE from what I can remember, can be fairly deterministic. Assuming you had a PhD in that game to understand the convoluted system. Or just buy the damn item from someone who does have a PhD in POE crafting.

If your problem is at level 75 then I don’t know what to tell you. Any content pre-empowered monoliths and even corruption 100-130 are fully doable with non-legendary items. Up to that point the crafting is fairly deterministic. You find the item and you craft. Upgrade or add a stat. Maybe glyph of chaos is random, but if you’re using that then you know it’s not going to hit. If your build is functional you can do any content before you start hitting high levels of corruption. That’s a straight up fact.

The legendary system is fine for a lot of us except for the stupid dungeon layout. I play regular dad hours so by no means am I a hardcore player with a lot of time on my hands. I’ve gotten lucky on some crafts and unlucky on others. I play COF and it’s not hard to find exalted items and unique items. The COF faction helps me target farm. I imagine MG you can just buy what you need by selling good drops.

I feel there is a massive disconnect between those who are fine with the legendary system and those who are not. And looking at some comments (quitting at level 75), it seems to be one of expectations and knowledge level. To use an example, I’m working on frostbite swarmblade druid. A BIS boot slot is Snowdrift with movement speed and hybrid health. I have about 6-7 1 LP Snowdrift boots and had one 2 LP. I would be perfectly content getting one with just movement speed or just hybrid health. I keep all exalted movement speed and hybrid health boots. I craft them to have decent affixes (add hybrid health or cooldown recovery or even resistances are fine if they’re on the boots already). And it’s not hard finding exalted boots with either hybrid health or movement speed. I have 6-7 chances to hit one of those. In theory I will get one to hit once every four tries. Even if I don’t hit, I can still do content because the majority of the power level of the item is within the unique.

Then we can move on to my quest to slam elemental damage over time into vipertail. This is actually fairly important since it’ll help massively increase my dps if I succeed. However, even if it doesn’t hit, I’m ok with just wearing a regular exalted belt until I hit the craft. Vipertail isn’t build enabling so I can wait. And I have multiple EDOT belts just waiting to be slammed.

My big chase right now is frostbite shackles, which I don’t even have 1 LP on. But I can target farm that by targeting Formosus. But I’m still blasting through corruption 100 and I’m pretty confident I can blast through even corruption 150 if I choose to push right now.

So then why do I hear people bitching about legendary items at level 75? Level 75 is when you’re still going through regular monoliths. It’s because people expect to have good legendary items early on or they expect you need one to do content. Which is flatly not true.

1 Like

Upgrade too long. Give me guaranteed 1LP slams!

Patch 1.x.1 - players can now choose up to 1 affix to be guaranteed to be slammed on an item with LP.

Upgrade too long. Give me guaranteed 2LP slams!

Patch 1.x.2 - players can now choose up to 2 affixes to be guaranteed to be slammed on an item with LP.

Upgrade too long. 3LP items are impossible to find!

Patch 1.x.3 - 3LP items are now only 2 times less common than 2LP.

Upgrade too long. Give me guaranteed 3LP slams!

Patch 1.x.4 - players can now choose up to 3 affixes to be guaranteed to be slammed on an item with LP.

[skipped all the patch notes that lead to quadriple-t7 items getting as common as a rare item]

Upgrade too long. 4LP items are impossible to find!

Patch 1.x.322 - 4LP items are now only 1.5 times less common than 3LP items

I just got all my 4-T7 legendaries, WTF GGG game too boring give us stuff to farm!

Patch 1.x.323 - introduced 5LP items.

[skipped all the patchnotes leading to everyone flying around at 120% increased MS in Awakened Eterra-blessed Ultra-Legendary gear with 10 T9 manually selected modifiers, shooting laser beams out of their mouths, and farming hordes of Orobysses]

3 Likes

@BroncoCollider - Do you ever actually add value in any of these forums or are you only here to gaslight?

Nearly all of your comments / replies are outright demeaning, offer no help, or anything remotely substantiative to the discussion.

Why are you so active on here if you’re just here to sh*t on people?

@Moxjet200

2 Likes

You know, I feel bad for people getting into video games, and particularly ARPGs, today. They see all this YT content of streamers playing 140 hours a week, they read posts of all the best builds and they want to have exactly the same experience.

The thing I’ve always enjoyed about ARPGs is the way they have a rogue-lite adjacency. When I played D2, offline, before YouTube I didn’t know SOJ drop rates, or what “good” Gold/hr looked like. I barely read anything about a game. I just took whatever RNG gods gave me and pivoted. Made new build ideas, tried new stuff out. When I get my first LP4 in LE, I don’t think I’ll be complaining it wasn’t the one I “needed” for my build, I’ll go start a new character around that item.

Just some food for thought from an old(-er) gamer. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

@Chaustrologic - Well said… I feel the same.

For CoF specifically, anything that would allow us to “spin the wheel” more and actually turn hours of farming (stashes full of loot) into actual progression is needed.

I think an LP crafting system could solve this without any adjustments to loot tables, drop rates, etc. 5 base uniques craft into a 1LP, 5 1LP’s craft into a 2LP, etc. Maybe cap at 3LP for balance?

I would be BEYOND ecstatic if I could avoid dozens more hours farming and turn my 25+ 0LP hearts into 5 1LP hearts and 15 1LP wands into a few 2LP.

1 Like