The AFK timer is currently too strict

this right here " the devs really didn’t foresee this problem?" is the biggest issue the devs for this game has they can’t implement anything that works correctly it’s like they don’t test things enough and just releases it for us paid BETA testers and it’s getting old

3 Likes

I like this because everyone can take it in a way that agrees with their viewpoint, top tier post

5 Likes

It mindfucked me, and still does. Agreed, its a good one.

1 Like

I’m curious what constitutes action in the game. I keep getting kicked while I’m looking through my bags. I tend to be a bit of a hoarder with bag space so that can definitely take longer than ten minutes. :wink:

3 Likes

Welcome!

This is annoying, and I am right there with ya. If 10 minutes isnt debatable, for the love of god, at least make cursor actions count. Hoping its just a bug.

3 Likes

Please stop with the kicking while I am cleaning up my inventory. twice in a row now. Yes, I get it, I should move, but this task does not require moving.

1 Like

One day after 0.9.1 patch dropped, I already saw this post and read a few comments. Then the hotfix came but no mention about this which is kind of a bummer (or was there? Am I blind?).

I have recruited 2 of my friends to try this game by the start of June which is just a few days from now as of writing this. I think newbies are most likely to stop and read stuff to understand how the game works. Especially when working on loot filter and crafting or just plain storage organizing. I’m just afraid the kicking might leave a bad impression to them which I hope won’t happen. I haven’t opened the game since last month so I’m not sure how bad this AFK issue currently is but judging the comments here, it just sounds ridiculous.

But either way, I also think the AFK timer should be:

1. Longer.
  2. Has an indicator/notification 1minute or 30seconds before being actually kicked.
  3. Should NOT consider clicking while standing in place as “AFK”

All these I’ve listed which has also been mentioned by the previous posts here. Finally a chance to play with friends but I just can’t help but get excited and worried at the same time.

3 Likes

I have to keep my game window open behind the forum window so I can keep switching back and moving so I do not get kicked out while I post my issue. I have been kicked while respecing skills and passives. I have been kicked while moving inventory between chests. I have been kicked while reading the chat and asking questions. I have been kicked just by looking through the menus and trying to learn the mechanics and inner workings of skill synergies. Apparently I am just too slow to be allowed to stay logged in and enjoy this game.

4 Likes

Fear not, you are in good company!

2 Likes

I agree with this. There needs to be better activity detection. I was just editing my filter which does take some time if you want to take care with it and booted. You can’t even see the warnings because the window is on top of the chat box.

1 Like

Yip, 20 mins anywhere sounds better.
Imma old and git logged out jest doin a bio…

1 Like

I agree as well, way too short.

1 Like

I agree with this post, but I’m of the full opinion that an AFK kick timer is an anachronism that is not justifiable in modern games. While I don’t know EHG’s specific reason(s), all arguments that I’m aware of for choosing to add one are not strong enough.

LE has been server authoritative for a long time without needing this nonsense. It shouldn’t just be lengthened or have more actions added to count as “active”, it should be put straight into the garbage bin.

3 Likes

An afk timer isn’t ready to be rolled out if it only counts character movement when deciding whether or not a player is afk. It’s confusing that it was released when it should have been obvious that the afk timer in its current form would disappoint and anger a lot of players.

Beyond the overly narrow scope of things considered as signifying that a player is active, ten minutes is too short.

3 Likes

Just take it back off it was nice with out it…
And only been playing solo…

In the chat an interesting idea came up:
NO AFK timer at all except:
– In Party (10 mins ok)
– in Town (15 mins ok)

do any other ARPGs even have an autokick like this? Apparently poe doesn’t. Why is this even necessary at all? Is this like some kind of anchoring thing again to try and save on server fees?

2 Likes

I’m not sure I agree with you on this point. IF they are going to do an AFK timer to kick the player, then I think it needs to be done before 1.0 when the game if officially launched. To wait until then or after is definitely not ideal, they need to find out if it works right and if the player base has issues with it.

I’m not saying I think they should have an AFK timer or not, but if they do it needs:

1. to be tested prior to 1.0
  2. to definitely be longer

No modern games I am aware of, PoE has a psuedo sysyem where your portals can disappear on you if you afk for a random amount of time, but seems to me to only affect early game. I have afk’d for a day and all my map portals were still there.

The zone resets after 15 mins for campaign zones & i though that was the case foe maps as well. Ctrl-clicking on the zone entrance will let you see how much longer the instance has before it’s shut down.

1 Like