Mage Animation Updates

We previously announced that we recruited an Animations Lead. Patch 0.7.8 will feature some updated animations for the Mage, and today we’ve prepared some examples to show you!

This post is about animations (e.g. the Mage ‘pulling’), not skill effects (e.g. the actual meteor). However, as animations are seen in the context of skill effects, the previews show both. Where the skill effect occurs close to the character, we zoomed in to better show the animation.

The effect of Ice Barrage was cut for brevity.

Focus

Glacier

Ice Barrage

Meteor

[Removed two clips of an animation which had bugged timing when the clips were recorded.]

Static Orb

19 Likes

Ice Barrage look amazing

2 Likes

Wow those animations look a lot better, great job!

1 Like

Even though i do care more about game elements such as looting, crafting, endgame, replayability, build diversity and so on, i really appreciate your work on animations and visual effects in the beta aswell! Since you guys already created such a great foundation with all the core elements every arpg should have, you also bring in more players that criticized the overall look and gameplay during alpha and beta. I think you are doing such a great job and i really think that LE will become the true and only competitor to PoE!

6 Likes

everyone’s had a major update on the animations. However, I did not like the animation of METEORO, I see that it has changed little, even more in the impact to the ground, without any crater or any real impact. But please guys, it was just a constructive critic.

Look nice =D

Yea. That’s the one that caught my eyes. Not quite sure what to make of everything else though. But it’s probably just me not being able to pick things out through these clips.

Can’t wait to see how things feel in 7.8 :heart_eyes:

Glacier cast animation looks fantastic!

1 Like

omg Glacier animation looks great! cant wait!

When’s the 0.7.8 patch coming?

However, I did not like the animation of METEORO, I see that it has changed little, even more in the impact to the ground, without any crater or any real impact.

Agreed, they all look pretty great except the meteor one.

I think adding a little fire effect around the hand/arm when the mage is pulling down would help maybe. :slight_smile:

Also, I feel like the meteor animation is too short or too small for such a large spell, which is something the glacier animation reflects better.
I think the reversed glacier animation would work pretty well for meteor (i.e. slamming his arm forward from the back to the front).

3 Likes

Agree.
All other improvements are much more obvious.
I also think that Glacier animation would be perfect for Meteor.

Anyway. Good work and good luck with future improvements, devs :slight_smile:

Looking good

As positive feedback, I’d say the animation for the Meteor skill is too simple for how powerful and devastating it should be… But the other ones look so cool, especially Ice Barrage ^^
Great job, team!! º3º

Looks good except for the meteor:

Character animation.
It’s too fast and doesn’t complement the skill animation. I have no clue what kind of gesture he makes. It could be done in a simpler way: just let him point his index finger to the direction on the ground where the rock should be dropped. It’s a small gesture with a powerful afterwards skill animation .

Overall more badass, particulary focus, i’m agree too that meteor animation is not that good , too short and the character seem to cast it effortlessly. Need to be more relevant.

I really like the focus animation with the wand floating there and spinning, I hope that happens with other weapon types as well. The idea of incorporating the weapon with the animation is interesting and I would like to see that happen in various ways with other classes/skills as well. For meteor, maybe the mage could raise one of their hands and then bring it back down again in sync with the meteorite hitting the ground?

1 Like

This is a nice idea. But I see one problem with it. There is a delay between casting and the hit. After casting you are able to move so you don’t have to stand still an wait for the impact. This is important because otherwise you would be very vulnerable. Then running and pointing at the impact location would look kind of weird, I think :laughing:

1 Like

I mean…that would be badass to be honest…especially when adding a moonwalk while pointing and doing a dab at the meteors impact. Ok that was too much, i know :smiley:

3 Likes

Ok, that would really be cool. Even cooler with suits armor models and hats :laughing:

2 Likes