Mage Animation Updates

Let’s just wait until April 1st and see what they got for us :smiley:

I would like to do a small suggestion too, to add if not too problematic and on a later date when things are less chaotic for the team, the same effect of a magic glyph like the Ice Barrage, that looks cool for a mage class.

I also agree that the Meteor Impact don’t have the skill’s signature impact that it deserve.

Things look good since the 0.7.7 but do please focus on more optimization when possible.

Good luck with the work guys.

1 Like

But anyone who thought it looked weird would be dead from the meteor anyways. :smile:
In all seriousness I really think of any other motions the mage could do. Maybe the motion where you throw your arm out then retract it very quickly with your fist clinched. Usually used to indicate elation upon accomplishing something. Like ‘Yes, I did it!’, or the signal you give a semi-truck driver to get him to honk their horn. Only more deliberate, like the mage is pulling a rock down from orbit in space!

2 Likes

I am absolutely with you.

2 Likes

These look great, some subtle and big improvements. I agree that the meteor animation is far too quick and needs something to match the power of the spell. Could his arm raise and then come downward?

Most of the animations look cool. However meteor is another story. It actually looks bad and feels bad. But calling it “bad” and not telling you why or not giving opinions about possible improvement ideas would be pointless. So here I go :slight_smile:

Meteor is commonly accepted and expected to be a very impactful spell. Since in ARPGs the view range is very limited, if the meteor happens to land fast (which it does in this case) the player is not given enough time to appreciate the spell. Slowing it down a little bit and increasing the area just enough to compensate for that would go a long way.

Another point of improvement could be the direction of the meteor. Spells like meteor (or spells such Blizzard) should have a slight angle away from the spell caster. (It should not fall straight down) so that the caster can actually associate themselves with the spell (give the feeling that “player casts the spell” instead of “player happens to be around when a meteor was falling”. This might not be the realistic approach, but it would certainly allow the player to own the spell. Imagine 2 player on the middle left and middle right of the screen. If they both cast meteor they would not know whose meteor hit where (if the meteor fell straight down). However if each meteor’s point of origin were somewhere above the casting player and it fell with a slight angle… I think you get the idea here.

Finally, if possible, meteor should leave a ground effect after it falls. It can have actual in-game effects or only visual effects, doesn’t really matter. (maybe a damage over time pool or a crater to make sure that player acknowledges that a meteor fell to that area, not a random fire ball ^.^)

I hope this feedback is helpful to you. So far, from what I’ve played and seen, you’ve been doing a great job. Kudos for that!

3 Likes

totally agree

Seems good, I would like to try improve the idea, the after effect of the impact could release a shock wave that push the enemies back, from there, not sure if the skill itself will have a passive tree, could implement different after effects from impact for the shock wave or area where it lands, like some suggestions before, a damage over time effect and some others

Could also have a passive that decrease the size and damage but add more meteors. (I think someone suggested this too)

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.