Leveling system that doesn't involve campaign

Please consider adding something similar to what Diablo 3 has - “adventure mode” where players can level by doing bounties / rifts rather than going through the campaign for each new character. This can be accessed by new characters as long as the account holder has beaten the campaign at least once.

Most players (maybe not most, but a significant amount) don’t care about stories in ARPG’s and I am one of those players. I would like to be able to level my new characters without having to go through the campaign every single time. Make it optional if players want to go through the campaign or the new way.

23 Likes

It seems to be a very long discussion.
I agree with you, but sincerely I found that playing the campaign many times is still fun. Far more fun than D3’s campaign, or Wolcen’s campaign for example.
But I still would like to have another leveling system.

6 Likes

This IS a good campaign, and I won’t mind replaying it. However there are at least 12 classes already, and I’ve got at least 4 build ideas for most of them, 2 I’ll find out when I do, so atm I’m going to have to clear the campaign another 40 times… I can agree that it might be ok to have a new game+ with a lot less dialogue and running around so people can get to testing the build a little quicker.

6 Likes

I doubt it is a good campaign in the current state. At least in comparion to other H&S games.
Lots of lengthy filler zones & forgettable narration.
Feels soo boring even if we consider the campaign is not done yet.
The campaign could be half the length and still be boring because in most zones is nothing to do anyways and they are plain transition/filler zones.

5 Likes

I’d say better than the campaign in Diablo 3 or Wolcen. Maybe not as good as Van Helsing trilogy, but far shorter which is nice, because in Van Helsing it was very good but too long.
I agree there are fillers, but I don’t forget it’s a beta, not finished, with several locations to be filled and several placeholders.

1 Like

I come back to this topic.
Currently, my main activity in the game (and my main pleasure) is to try its almost infinite possibilities. Which means I test many builds, build ideas, concepts, variations, etc. And I keep some of them that seem relatively viable or fun to play.
In order to do so, I need to be able to level new heroes. Of course I could use the campaign for this and I still will do, but I’d like to have an alternative. Sometimes level through the campaign, sometimes through a different activity. Having more than one leveling “tool” would be a very nice quality of life feature and would be a way not to get bored too soon with the campaign.

6 Likes

1 of the issues they would need to overcome, is how to distribute the extra skill pts you get along the way from doing side quests that reward them during campaign.

1 Like

Give them to the player at the character levels that the quests are given in the area levels. So if you would pick up a quest that gave a passive point in a lvl 10 zone, give it to the player at character level 10.

4 Likes

The alternative is to take some ideas from the GD forgotten Gods Merit system. In that scenario, once you’ve beaten the game on normal or elite you can buy a Merit from an NPC that unlocks the higher difficulty. It also unlocks all the rift gates and awards the quest points. In the case of LE, for example, it could provide access directly to Monoliths/Arena. The main issue is level and experience.

2 Likes

You’d think with all these choices AARPGs have, they’d also have leveling choices. It was one of the few things D3 did right and nobody else has caught on to. Those of us playing these types of games aren’t really here for the storyline, I haven’t read a single thing any NPC has said so far after completing the campaign several times.

5 Likes

I fully agree with OP and hope there will be a way to not play the entire campaign for every alt. Not only because it becomes boring and is meaningless, some people with jobs and a family like me simply dont have the time to do this over and over again, if the campaign is enjoyable or not doesnt matter. That is why I am skipping the new POE league because all this nonsense grind is a torture to me. The endgame is where arpgs become really good and fun and why do I have to overcome the same obstacles over and over again just to get there? I dont get it!

5 Likes

Wolcen did the same.

2 Likes

you can do campaign on totally new class/build in like one day, I see no issue with it, I enjoyed getting the new skills gradually instead of a pile automatically, not everything needs to be handed to players on a silver platter EDIT: AND I just did it on my second only char, and MELEE

I also want the skills to level gradually and I don’t mind the time required for it. But I’d like to have an alternate way to level (have a choice), because I’m starting to get bored with the campaign. I purchased the game around three months ago and I did the campaign around thirty times during that period. I know it’s very little compared to some other players, but I’d lile some diversity.
I agree with you: the skills should level gradually, at the same speed than in the campaign, with the same requirements and restrictions. But I’d like to have a choice for the leveling method.

It’s just for people who don’t want to hear the same voice lines and see the same cutscenes over and over again. This game doesn’t have a ton of waiting in the campaign, but there is still some. If you could have the option of basically a lower level arena that would be a decent side option for when you still want to make a character, but going through the same exact storyline once again just doesn’t appeal.

Again this one is short and sweet so it’s not a huge deal, but as a man who just farmed for 3 days trying to get exsanguinous I can tell you “eterra is dead, orobyss is free” has lost its luster on the 1048th listen.

I have the opposite and likely unconventional opinion which is that the problem is that most aRPG’s tend to have (to be a blunt) a really bad story (for one reason or another) and that D3 and LE to a lesser extent is one of those aRPG’s (shameless plug to my post about this is here LoE's Lore/Story/art design needs work when it comes to execution/delivery). And of course if the story is mediocre/repetitive then it does feel annoying/boring for players to play through it again and again.

To me, PoE is best the best example of an aRPG with an excellently executed story that also intertwines with the gameplay which means that it doesn’t feel like you are repeating the “boring” story over and over again. Even the concepts of maps in PoE has a story behind it (i.e. with Zana and the shaper) and how this flows from the main campaign is done really well. This is ontop of having vaal “rifts” or other alterations as you play the story makes things more interesting. Its not all bad for LE in this regard, the story itself does have glimmers of hope in terms of explanations for redoing the story (i.e. the many travellers dialog that happens when you beat Omen of Silence at the end of Ruined Era), I just hope this sections gets improved a lot as the game starts getting completed.

There is also the glaring problem which is that LE doesn’t have randomized maps and this makes repeating the campaign each time even more boring since you can just memorize the important parts of the map and just speedrun through it. I don’t know what the dev’s stance on randomized maps are but I do think this also makes a big difference.

In summary I think that creating an alternate levelling system that ignores the campaign is just a copout/bandaid for not having enough dynamic randomization during the game and/or a forgettable story.

With the way LE’s campaign is currently, I’d actually be annoyed if the maps were randomized. I want to get through the maps as quickly as possible because there’s nothing to see encounter, story, or lorewise. If all I get for deviating from the shortest path is just more of the same mobs I’ll be fighting anyway, I’ve got no interest in exploring the rest of a map.

2 Likes

You can still randomize the map while making sure that campaign objectives are in the same direction (i.e. North/South/East/West) + place on the map. This is what games like PoE do, the campaign objectives aren’t entirely random.

I share the opinion of many here, the campaign I can’t take it anymore … It is not necessarily a question of speed of exp, or level of spells. It’s just super tiring to redo the campaign 1000 times. My wife thinks I’m crazy every time I cry to YOU ​​SHALL BURN. I must stop the campaign … And as said not to mention additional mode, just direct access to the monolyte or the arena adept at your level, or you bash a bit like a moron. Would do very well.
After I am rather mitigated on the speed of exp, that we say what we want personally I was very happy on Diablo 3 to take some stuff exp ask the guild for a PL, and 5 min after lvl max … After all, I play them X times, I have the right, I don’t think I have to go back 10 hours to assemble a character of 0 when I don’t even know if I will like it. Or if my choices in passives will be the right ones, sometimes you would like to be able to keep your spell points, as you can with your level points. This would make it possible to test a knot and if it does not please go back without 4 hours of farme.
I know it’s always a controversial subject, but personally I’m not ashamed to say that I don’t like spending 10 hours on a construction that I won’t like.

3 Likes

I mean I hope they find a way to satisfy both parties so to say. Give the people who dont like going through the campaign over and over again a system to skip it somehow once they have finished it once and the people who enjoy it, can still play the campaign.
Many people say that this is intended to make people play the game longer and therefore buy more MTX for example but for me it is just the other way round, I would play more characters and then much longer cause I wouldnt have to level all alts through the campaign anymore.

1 Like