Leveling system that doesn't involve campaign

Totally agree personally I take this beta to test, test and test again. But in order not to have to redo it and waste time when leaving … When leaving, I would not do the campaign 30 times (especially since it will probably be longer)
So in clear, I’m just going to avoid creating too many characters and that will limit my playing time.
So who if another way exists that I have the choice to skip the campaign, I would not hesitate to make rerolls and my playing time will surely be higher because I would always have the hype and the desire to see this what can this new character give.

1 Like

I just started to play the game yesterday, so I can’t say a lot about the story being boring or not yet. But I played Games like Diablo (2 and 3), Guild Wars (1 and 2), Elder Scrolls Online and PoE for almost 2 decades now, and I’m on board with the “having to repeat the whole thing over and over is boring” fraction. Even the greatest story gets boring after the 20st repetition. And if you create a new character, play through half of the game and realise then, that it’s just not the right thing for you, you face the fact that you have to do the same thing all over again, if you wanna try out another new build.
I really loved PoE (until recently), but after playing it for some years now it really felt like “Oh no, it’s leaguestart again… again playing the f*ing 10 acts until endgame… meeeeeh!”

2 Likes

I agree! That is why I Skipped this League and to me it is not dependent on whether the campaign is good or bad, its just the repetitiveness and simply the fact that as a Person with a family and Job dont have the time to Do it even if I wanted to play the campaign over and over again.

I also fully agree with what Arussa has said.

2 Likes

It is even obvious that it has nothing to do with the quality of the story of the ext lore. No matter how much we like something if you eat your soup every day, you will end up not being able to eat it. As good as she is.

So nothing prohibits a good campaign, nothing should prohibit the player who wishes to redo it, to redo it as much as he wishes.
But it shouldn’t be a requirement. Especially since in reality it is an artificial way to gain in life. While this is wrong, ARPG players play for the end game (they can enjoy the story but that’s not what is expected, a good story is a plus.) Forced the campaign won’t make it so no the more people are more interested in this one. Already a large part of the players do not limit reading a single line of text in several campaigns … Forced to redo it will not encourage them to read, they will be skip once more, be from the game because to have to start over and over again.
Very often for my part the campaign of an ARPG I consider it as the tutorial of the games, it familiarizes you with the mechanics gently … But no one remakes a tutorial 30 times as good as it is.

4 Likes

Hey,

The whole text is gonna be a imho so don’t be offended.

So, i feel like you’re all taking the campains, the acts whatever you call it, the wrong way. To me this is the best way to learn your characters, to test the way spells works together how the stats and tree affects the spells you want to play, what are the weaknesses and the strenght of the character you decided to play this time, etc… This is literally the perfect place to test all these things and it gate the possibilties to test everything behind a time consuming task and that’s a good thing.

Don’t make this game insanly casual friendly as D3 and others aRPGs please, we need aRPGs to be difficult, time consuming, unfair, this is what makes the game fun and durable. We need to feel like we’re chasing something at all time or it becomes boring.

I think the main problem is that people nowaday are just lazy and are just watching builds videos, guides and just want to get to the point where they can follow it blindly without having to go throught the whole process of thinking, testing and finding things themselves.

I’ve made 5 characters from scratch ATM, they’re all 90+ cleaning 100 content and i’m ready to run the campain 1 million time, who cares since it makes me understand a lot of thing about the new characters i’m creating.

The whole LE campain is like 3 - 5 hours, what is 5 hours in ARG genre…

TL;DR : Use the campain to get better at the game, create your builds instead of C/P and it’s not gonna be painful anymore.

3 Likes

Agreed. But a campaign is not the only way to do so.
I don’t want to copy an existing build. Or, to be more precise, sometimes I do and most of times I don’t. I want to level with my own build, my own ideas, my own experimentations, my own failure. And I don’t mind if it takes me 8 hours to get to level 50, I’m not in a hurry, this is a very enjoyable moment. But I’d like sometimes to do it another way. I’ve been playing for about three months now and I played the campaign around 30 times. Even if it is a very nice campaign, I’m getting bored of it. Temporarily bored, I’m sure, but bored though. And I want to level new heroes. I want to level them slowly, with my own experimentations. And I would like to chose the leveling method. I could spend 8 hours in the campaign, I could also spend 8 hours in another activity. I would like to be able to chose.

1 Like

I also do not necessarily agree with the reflection that this is a place to test things. It’s long linear and preconceived, we know which monster we’re going to see ext, you can’t test in the field if you build can be good for the arena, you never have the same density of mobs or other factor … So the best way to test an arena build is in arena. Like you want a build speed, for speed run certain monolyte, to get equipment quickly. The only way to test this is in monolyte.

In the countryside you do not test anything, you go up a personal very slowly in known areas, and without any surprise it is tiring and uninteresting (if you have already done it).
Why on almost all games test servers exist is not for nothing. You can take a character directly max level, take the equipment you want, and play it in the mode you want, and you see if it suits you and react the way you want ext. Afterwards if you like it you come back to the official and you assemble ext characters but you know what you will have. The countryside is not a place for her. It’s long and boring when you do it 30 times …

I think without any judgment, that if you don’t like the farmer like a Chinese, and you don’t have the spirit of competition, ARPGs are not for you, but rather classic RPGs. An ARPG is designed like this, the goal in most cases is the end game, the story very often is just because you have to put one, and give a “tutorial” area to the new player. But 90% of the game is bashing the flaw, finding ever stronger equipment to be able to make ever harder content.

After that I do not want to create a debate on this subject because precisely that is not the subject. But the competitive spirit in everything leads to cheating, it is the human spirit and you can’t help it.
I am a sports coach in life, I can assure that at my level of small coach I already see guys with syringes of product for performance. In the studies it is the same, the medical students take medoc / steroid to be awakened consented. In esport the same, sport too. And on ARPGs too! Diablo 3 the ladder is who botches the most. But on all the games of the genre, trade is never fair in these games, there is always the big player who has almost the monopoly of a resource that he sells at disproportionate prices (hello POE and other ) and unfortunately this game will not be an exception.
As long as there is competition, it will be the one who shuts the most, the one who spends more time on the game. It may seem unfair but no. It’s like that in all areas of competitive life you don’t become the best training only twice a week between your job and the hours for your family.

I think there should be another option as well, but I also think that people should have to play through the campaign for the story at least once. I would even go as far as saying that once on each class if they make the story different for each (beyond the opening segment).

3 Likes

So you are whinning about the story being boring then say the opposite 2 posts after that.

The most competitive format you get on an aRPG is racing, racing is being able to go fast from a point A to a point B, story is like a huge part of that format since you need to learn how to complete it as fast as possible and the most effective way as possible.

Then you say that to be able to play an aRPG you need to handle the farming properly, completing act and going through campain is literally… farming.

Following your thoughts the Campain is boring so farming is boring too.

It seems the game is not for you.

Mh seems unlucky. :thinking:

Absolutely not, it has nothing to do with it. The campaign offers no choice, it’s just a straight line, often solo and boring. The farme is factidious but can do this in a group (not yet here, but it will be the case one day) So boring alone or in several it is not the same.
What’s more, the countryside leaves you with no choice, no one forces you to farm. It is mainly his subject. Why make the campaign compulsory for each new character, when it is the same every time. After the rest is only a matter of choice, but personally to type me the adventure in diablo in solo and to piss me off, or speed run with friends of the faults in 3min my choice is quickly made. Both are boring to me, one you do it alone and it’s boring, the other you do it with several, you loot stuff (much more than in the countryside.) And you don’t feel you have to do it to do contrary to the countryside.

After just an apartment. Nobody forbids in what we offer those who want to do it as many times as they want, with as many characters as they want. The ones we are asking is that those who do not wish to start over is the choice. Not to forbid the other to do it.

My last post may have sounded aggressive to you, it wasn’t, just telling you that it would make the game unfair and some would go faster than others, and that going faster is not a requirement. I will just answer you that it is the game that is like her and if some people want to go much faster, great their face. you take the time you want, but don’t say it’s unfair in this case.
The goal is simply to leave the possibility to the person to do what they want, if you what you like it is to take your time and to campaign several times without worry. This is not what I like, I like competition and I don’t want to redo the campaign 50 times, we can make everyone happy by not making it compulsory for those who do not want to redo it .

I strongly agree. The story is important, the context is important. If you do the Monolith timelines without knowing the story, you lose the main meaning and idea. And I would also add that I would like sometimes to be able to replay the campaign with a grown up hero.
Yes, I feel currently I’m playing the campaign too often, but if it becomes more rare it can become a pleasure again. And playing it with a fully leveled hero can be a very different experience, where we focus on all side elements.

1 Like

I also support this idea, the campaign is important, and do it once too. Simply introduce the choice later to start over or not.

Not to pick anyone out specifically but if this is the problem, then its worth asking: is it better to come up with an alternative leveling system or more endgame for you to take your characters deeper so you spent less time as a % of time played in the story?

Also its worth asking here how long does it take everyone here complete the story?
I only measured about halfway through the story but that took 2hrs. Extrapolating that probably another 2 hours to finish, for a total of 4 hrs.

1 Like

So I personally have two answers, the first always a little the same, just why make this campaign compulsory for rerolls. It costs no one to leave the choice.

The second answer that may be off topic a bit, but I think there are some other real issues in the game right now. Some will still scream, but where is the Online (I’m not talking about the release of the game) But an ARPG is above all social games, we discuss we play in a group outside. Without Online it’s just terribly boring. And so we have nothing else to do than right to left testing. Because to type 10 hours of solo monolyte … No thank you. Just you need this online mode it should have been available, like I said ARPG without online is not an ARPG it’s just boring.

Just imagine more for someone non-English like me. There is almost no community no Fr discord (active I speak) because the games are not translated, and therefore a majority of French people do not come. Like I said I played diablo 3 a lot but the game is just fine in a group or at least with guilds a social format and a discord, otherwise but I get pissed off after two hours. And if people can push like crazy in the monolyte it’s for his, solo you do 10 hours of monolyte.
I defend that the game should not be released too quickly, but not that there is still no online, or even community systems like public chat channels for different ext languages ​​…

And no matter the content, it will be done by the players very very quickly, it is not the content that is missing, it is to be able to have fun in more than one, this game once you have finished the game. adventure and that you have done a little monolyte and arena well here there is nothing more to do except a new character (so a new campaign) and we go around in circles. Adding content will not change anything, we will finish it 100 times faster than it can create, just open the online, and make it a monolyte in a loop, discussed, do things together and we will find plenty of things to do even repetitive it’s more fun in a group.

Good questions.

I usually play the campaign in 6 to 8 hours. I take my time, I do almost all side quests, I don’t rush any zone or part.

And what I like most is test different builds. So I level my character, then I tune my build, I do the first timeline and a bit of arena (very few, I’m not a pusher), then I want to try another build, so I go for another hero. There a very few builds that I played for long, and I unlocked empowered monoliths with one only hero.

2 Likes

Lets look at the simplest solution: would you have more fun running arena until level 50? assuming it takes the same amount of time and all rewards are moved/attainable there.

I cant imagine doing that myself, I barely play arena as is.

1 Like

I think this is a really valid question. I understand people find the campaign tedious or boring after several run through, what I don’t understand is how an alternative system won’t be boring after the same number of runs.

I know d3 has the adventure mode, what is it about that system that is more appealing than running the campaign? I think Arussa mentioned being able to group is preferable, information like this is the beat feedback I think.

2 Likes

I will try to answer.
The campaign is an obligation and that changes a lot of things. But what he will change is above all the impression of moving forward and a little speed. Let me explain. In the countryside you will sometimes cross a long map where there are almost no enemies, you just have to be like me to explore all the nooks and crannies and you go over and over again from empty places. In the arena you do not have this problem you put your buttocks down and you beat mobs in a loop. Are not more intelligent, not necessarily boring. But more effectively yes. even if the level up to as fast. This is the moment when you take 2 hours of music in your ears, you cut your brain and you massacre with the shovel of the mob. This is the arena option which I find quite enjoyable in a way. In monolyte, well even if its going in circles too, the maps are different (not this impression of already seen as in campaign) They are random, and you have an objective to fulfill which changes each time ext. Once again I agree in the fact you only type mob, then in campaign in monolyte or arena what difference? Well there it is, the choice, the freedom and as said above each one has his style with these advantage and incoénant

2 Likes