Character respec and spell levels, please

I’m with @Zaodon on this point.

Respeccing a mastery sounds “good” in theory. Practically it’s really hard to get to the same power level you had before respec.

As a Paladin you will stack fire and physical damage. With that gear, you won’t get anywhere if you’d swap to Void Knight. You would need to invest a lot of time into new gear acquisition.

Maybe you have collected some VK gear along the way. But did you balance your defensive stats for the VK gear when leveling a Paladin. This sounds like a waste of time to me.

I respecced so many times within the same masteries and screwed the new build. If you’re going for a crit build with Warpath and switch to a crit build with Rive, it’s not hard. But going from a melee build to throwing or even spell focused build is a ton of work. If you do the switch in a level 85 timeline, you might have to go back to a lvl 65 timeline because you lack the propper gear and damage scaling.

Some content creator even has made a video about it if respec or releveling is easier.

And this is just with respeccing within a mastery.

The argument “but it’s the same class I already leveled” doesn’t have that much weight when you look at how different some masteries are.

• Druid (melee) vs. Shaman (caster) vs. Beastmaster (minions)
  • Necro (minions) vs. Lich (caster/melee)
  • Sorcerer (caster) vs. Spellblade (melee)
  • Bladedancer (melee/throwing) vs. Marksman (ranged)
  • Sentinel is different because the masteries support various overlapping playstyles but it has very different damage scaling and defensive strategies

Even within these very generic playstyles I listed there you can also choose between different ailments or crit builds. These scale completely different.

I don’t say it’s faster by all means to level a new character. Maybe our is untill level 65 or whatever. But this also depends on the players experience and how big his stash is.

Recently I participated in 2 community challenges. We got about 1 week to level a new character SSF with a predefined main skill. Winner is who reaches the highest arena wave after that week.

I tested both builds (Detonating Arrow Marksman and Fireball Sorcerer) before the event start with my already availible toons to get a feeling of how I want to build. Both times my new leveled character was a lot more powerful than my test toon by the end of that week.

Starting fresh feels like a relief to me sometimes, when I struggle with changing a build.

With all that text o don’t want to convince you. I just want to try to explain where I’m coming from.

1 Like

That’s something I experienced many times. For me, at the beginning, it sounded counter-intuitive. But yes, it works. When you start fresh with a specific goal in mind, absolutely all your actions can be oriented towards this goal and then, you’ll be far more effective.
To be fair, I should have known because I often had the same issue at work. Can’t get from one situation from another? Restart from scratch. Of course it does not work for everything, but it can be very reliable!

Our brain knows how to build better than how to change.

I will not respond to Neokortex he is offensive and he know it.

You can’t say it’s faster to make a new caracter and it will be stronger with the same amount of time. It’s just wrong. Yes If you respec a caracter it will not be as strong as before and it’s good. But don’t tell me it will be faster to farm gear going 1 to 90. You have a 90 with set and unique probably with good rare and exalted too. You 90 will not go as fast as before respec but it will go way faster to farm gear with him doing low echoe than you new one doing the story.

So I am not ok with resist. I want to respec masteries but not in a easy way.

Nobody told you that. I gave an example for lvl 65. This comparison gets worse the higher you set the max level you want to compare it. The leveling process is not linear but exponential and increases in time the higher you get. So it makes a huge difference. I could level 1 character from 1 to 40 in the same time I level from 70 to 83.

Believe it or not. I don’t care. I’ve no intention to lie or give false information to strengthening my arguments.

I’m done here, cya around.

I am pretty sure he is a troll when he starts arguing that marksman and bladedancer are the same class. Functionally one is a melee and the other is a ranged character. How can they be the same class? It is like arguing physicist and engineer are the same occupation just because they both learn math and physics as foundation.

On the matter of respeccing masteries, I understand the tedium of going through campaign again, but there should still be a level of commitment in building your character. Is there like a plan for alt levelling path for second toon onwards? I feel likethat can be a good compromise.

There’s a big topic about this here, if you have the time and incentive to dive deeper into it.

There’s no alternative leveling mode on the roadmap for 1.0 afaik. Maybe this is something that will be implemented in the future. Can’t remember an official statement, though.

1 Like

For a game like this, playing multiple characters gives it longevity and if a player enjoys LE, they will enjoy multiple characters.

Now I think there will be gripes here and there. Honestly, leveling more and more characters will eventually burn people out, it’s just normal. (All you players with 20+ characters at lv 70+ exempt! lol)

To counter this, and I think it’s been mentioned, uniques or such items that make leveling an alt… err… just a little bit more palatable once the burn out falls in might work. Like slight exp % increases, or maybe… umm… well, actually that’s all that comes to mind in regards to speeding up leveling an alt.

Other thoughts?

Just going to put a different spin on this from a casual’s perspective, as that is what i am nowadays a casual player of games.

As a casual player I love playing diablo 2, there are 3 respecs in the whole game, outside of using mods you are forced to reroll if you brick your character, i dont think its anti casual, i personally think its positive learning.

If you think LE is tough on respecs (which it really isnt, they have a good middle ground) D2r is out soon give it a go, i will be on hand to wipe away your tears. :joy:

1 Like

Thanks @XLVI_carpo . Will give it a go. I am pretty okay with leveling in the campaign since the journey and progression is part of the fun. But, I don’t know if I can say the same many years from now after many tens of campaign run (hopefully).

1 Like

This is a good point. I remember feeling the same season after season in PoE. When they added acts 6-10, it helped, but the burn out kept creeping back. I don’t play now, just can’t stomach the game itself anymore.

With how ingenuity flows at EHG HQ, I wouldn’t be surprised if they have stuff lined up for this specific issue, and imo, its an issue, just a tiny, tiny one.

And there it is, the main reason they make respecing easily less acessible. Unless you alredy played multiple characters and understood what each spell does, you won’t be able to easily understand how other specializations play nor what their specific spells do.

All of these inane counter points of “because it’s faster” are just nonsensical when the game developer is clearly trying to make a game be played for thousands of hours. If you like playing LE, good. If you want to have 1 character to play every class in the game, too fucking bad.

1 Like

My opinion is there should be a rare consumable drop from high tier bosses that allows a one off full respec thats untradeable

My opinion is that, once all Masteries are finally released, you need to have only 15 total characters to have every Mastery in the game. If you can’t play through the Campaign and Mono’s 15 times, you literally can’t play this game or any ARPG for that matter. I highly recommend Minesweeper or LOL or something.

I will do that, but in reality it’s a matter of choice.
I don’t think it’s good forcing people to play everything.

But the argument is that the OP wants to play everything, but just on 1 character. You can easily play everything on 15. Or, play only those Masteries you want to play, on less than 15 characters. Or, play 50 different types/builds of Paladin, with the very easy and relatively quick re-spec already in game.

Literally, all you can’t do in LE is respec Mastery or Base class.

1 Like

I’m not sure if the OP wants to respec the class or mastery, it’s not clear, because it’s about Marksman and Bladedancer.
But yes, some people would want to respec mastery, some even would respec the class. For those, Wolcen should also be a game to consider.

I agree. OP, find another game.

Edit: After some thought, I take back OP needing to find another game: I think they can still enjoy LE. Though OP is fighting a losing battle here, his perspective is solid. His grouping of the ‘definition’ of terms being tossed around here is what most people are disagreeing on, from my PoV.

That said, all the points and counter arguments that are listed below (and in the thread) likely won’t change anything.

and with THAT said, please continue as this is entertaining me. /salute Resist1990. Your name speaks for itself. :slight_smile:

PoE, D3, WoW, Wolcen, GW2 and every other single online RPG does it really easy.

PoE’s respec is much more drastic than LE’s, yet it still works. How doesn’t it hold weight? How about Wolcen, where you literally respec every time you equip a new weapon? Only people who haven’t played many aRPGs would say that.

You are making LE sound like this incomprehensibly difficult game, when in reality it’s very easy, compared to games like PoE and Wolcen.

What character do you create to play a Marksman?
What character do you create to play Bladedancer?
If they are both Rogue, then they are the same class. If they weren’t you would be right. In WoW survival hunter is mele, marskan hunter is range, they are the same class.
In PoE is much, much, much more drastic than just being mele or range, you literally have different skills and setups within the same ascendancy, let alone different ones, but it’s still the same class. Ocultist, Necromancer and Elementalist are the same class, for example.

This whole post proofs nothing but the fact that you don’t understand where others are coming from.

Every point you raise was stated before. I could just post quotes from this threat to address every point. But that would do nothing.

You can’t proof that something is objectively better, when it is a topic about flavour and feeling.

And of course, in WoW - a MMORPG, where leveling a character takes ages (at least it used to) theres no way that people would play more than 1-2 characters seriously. In my guild back in the days the 24/7 players had one main and some had a twink. Having to relevel a new character is something no sane game dev would ever apply to such a game. But it’s a completely different genre.

Also I don’t know how you can say that Wolcen has more complex character building than LE. Because the passive grid looks more complex? That’s a joke, right? You want to test, if people are still paying attention to this conversation, don’t you?

So when I say that from my experiences with LE it takes alot of time to change a build so I rather level a new one, what can I do with an argument like “PoE has free respec” (that, btw, is not ‘free’)?

This is getting tedious. Don’t try to convince people that your opinion is superior. Just accept that theres no black and white here.

3 Likes

That’s not totally true.
You have to care for the type of damage, all your affixes, review all your gear, etc.
But the truth is that, indeed, there is no class in Wolcen. You can play whatever your weapon permits you to play.