Monolith start - Alternative leveling method

Hi all,

One feature I would absolutely love would be the ability to level up characters from 1 to 100 in the Monolith. This feature could be unlocked after completing the storyline on a character, as an alternative to story mode.

Pros:

• Gives options for leveling alts. Can’t even count how many times I’ve leveled a character through the PoE campaign; it gets incredibly boring after the nth time.
  • The node-based structure of the Monolith along with a hardcore character would make a great “roguelike” game mode.
  • As the Monolith gets new features in-terms of progression, new maps, etc - this will all automatically be available to starting characters

Some challenges (and solutions):

Passive points / idol slots normally obtained through quests could either be unlocked from:

• automatically unlocked upon reaching level milestones
  • OR randomly distributing them as nodes in the monolith, until all of the passives / idol slots are unlocked.

Selecting your mastery (thanks for the reminder @totote97):

• The option to select your mastery can be granted automatically at level 25.

Loot / Difficulty

• Loot drops/rarity can be scaled based on character level. Same with the difficulty (number of rare / magic monsters that spawn, their health, etc).

Thanks for reading, and let me know what you guys think. Also if you like this idea, please Vote and Like, so hopefully the devs take notice of it lol :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I find this interesting, in diablo 3 you can do something similar with rifts and really speed up the lvling grind so let the player focus on doing more interesting builds and also check out the endgame content.

Also they could let you try every class and mastery faster with that system too

I’m new to this game but I’ve played plenty of Grim Dawn, Diablo and a bit of PoE. This sounds like a terrific idea. Unless the campaign story is branching because of character class and/or choices it ends up being a chore after a couple of times through. I have yet to play the endgame here but from what I’ve seen they’ve put a lot of thought into it and allowing us to jump right in after we have completed the campaign at least once would be great.

3 Likes

lol, spanish player here and when i read terrific i was doing the automatic (and wrong) translation to terrifying :laughing:

I think that would be boring as hell. POE has gathered so much content over the years so there a system like that could work.

In LE i think you get bored real quick. Then when you are finally in “endgame” in terms of levels etc you still are doing the same content over and over that you already did for many hours.

I would love to see a different leveling system beside the campaign or as a different path halfway in the campaign or something to prevent boredom of leveling different characters.

1 Like

I think this is a good idea. Anyrhing is better than going through the campaign over and over again. If there is not Alternative to that then at least I wont have more than 1 character per League.

2 Likes

as a new player i have to say the campaign is so far the weakest point of last epoch.
i am 35 hours in. did the campaign 2.5 times and i already never want to do it again.

1 Like

I htink the story behind it isn`t bad but it lacks a lot to make it feel better, like NPCs voiceovers are missing, some cutscenes maybe, but for me personally it doesnt matter as no matter how good a story/campaign is, after the Xth time it will become boring. In POE it has kept me from playing leagues cause thinking of going through the campaign alone made my motivation go away entirely :smiley:

It’s an option. If you find this boring, don’t use the option.

I find redoing the story, I did not care about the first time, boring as hell. Funny you mention PoE, I had a cheat sheet open with all the quests / WPs to get when making a new char. Just so I can get into maps as fast as possible. And all the content from A1-10 (including the lab…) was just an obstical in the way to get to the maps.

the only alt leveling system ive heard that got me excited was a story that is integrated into the monolith, where each path you select has some small( or large) effect on the story and that actually makes the story interesting. Its is A LOT of work and i would see it as a 2.0 feature.

One con that you left out was the speed for alt leveling and campaign need to stay the same.

1 Like

I would love a alternative leveling method and also hate leveing campaigns over and over.
Just like you i rush to endgame in POE.
I just like the idea of doing it trough the monolith system from finish to start. Just like POE devs said, if you would only do Delve infinite you will become bored. Because of the short breaks you need to do to get sulphite etc you are out of the system and it keeps being fun.

I share that vision and opinion. Others might disagree.
Again i would love to have a different way of leveling after you finished the campaign once. I just want a different way then the OP is presenting.
I would prefer a not to in depth side story that builds on the campaign story.

Something like:
You finished Lagon’s fight… but he came back mad because you changed the Monolith of fade. Now you have to chase him down to bla bla bla.
Or something completely new since the story ended fine. With the portal system you got so many options and potential.

This “we know best how you want to have fun” - attidute of the PoE-Devs is the reason why I looked into Last Epoch :smiley: Here’s are fun ascendencies. But let’s lock them behind stupid lab and trials…
I did delve until I ran out of sulphide and then stopped PoE for the day, getting the sulphide I did with a friend so we can “share the pain”

Choices are important to me, having multiple ways of progressing is what makes it fun. As soon as I get the feeling that I “have to do xyz” the fun is gone.

Personally I think the resources should not be put into the Story, but more variations in the encounters in the monolith. The story is we can travel in time and space with the shard - done :wink: Most of the players will spend more time in the monolith then the story and who plays a ARPG for the story anyway?

1 Like

I can only fully agree with you.
Thats why i complained a lot about POE’s past system. Almost everything needs to be done in maps. Sulphite, fragments you name it. After that you can do content, then you burned for example the 100 or 300 fragment or sulphite and you have to go maps again which i find boring.

I asked for a system that lets you choose more freedomly to actually do what you like instead of grinding out xyz in maps etc and finally being able to do Delve or any other content for a longer time then an half hour or hour just to go back and farm multiple hours to do it again.

Now iam happy to see they finally changed the system for the better in my opinion.
There are way more ways to keep sulphite up so you can delve even longer for example.

I actually do like the story and i do like the story being there.
It gives me a sense of the world and immerses me into it to some degree.
it could have done better and shorter in my opinion but i really had some beatiful moments in the story which i absolutely love. Somewhere at the beginning you hear a big growl.
Then you see a big mammouth type creature walking under the bridge. When you dont pay attention to those kind of little things youll probably less immersed but i do love those moments.

SPOILER ALERT

Summary

Also the moment that the deer put up his sheeld and then got shot trough it. After that you see all the flower weed type things. It looked beatifull in my opinion. Also a system that unlocked a certain bridge was lovely to see.
There are plenty of those moments that i loved. So iam actually glad they have a story/campaign. But those moments i love once or twice. After that i know about it and just want to level my alts. With leagues its fine for me to do it again.
Just not with multiple characters over and over with the same system. It becomes boring just like eating pizza to many times while pizza is my favourite food.

In terms of immersion i think LE is missing some audio stuff in terms of music backround music and noises and Movie parts at really big/important moments.
If you dont read everything you would still sort of have a sense of understanding the main story line without to much details. I think even people who dislike stories and just want to rush could appreciate a few of those moments.

Anyways to stay on point i actually like te story. Its just to long to my taste.
So many times iam thinking, OMG iam still not at the end Pepehands.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.