Gathering Storm and Tempest Strike Rework | Coming to Last Epoch, Feb 21st

Hello Travelers,

Welcome to the first blog post of the pre-patch blog posts leading up to launch! For all the new Travelers joining us for 1.0, pre-patch blog posts occur during the week before Patch Day, in which we talk about some of the prominent features coming with the latest update. We will have a post every day, culminating in the Patch Notes on February 19th. Of course, the three most prominent features coming in 1.0 are Item Factions, the Falconer, and the Warlock; however, these are certainly not the only features arriving with our release of 1.0!

Back in November, we talked about some of the updates coming with 1.0 (November Developer Blog). When covering Tempest Strike, we mentioned that the change to Tempest Strike’s mechanics left a gap in the Primalist class for a low cost, spammable generator. Without further ado, and to kick off these blog posts, let’s start by covering the new Primalist Skill - Gathering Storm, as well as some of the new Tempest Strike features coming February 21st.

Gathering Storm

Gathering Storm will become available to all Primalists at level 2, replacing Ice Thorns. Those who have been following our posts for a while may remember we intended to remove Ice Thorns but wanted to have a new skill to implement in its place.

“Strike at your enemy with a mighty lightning powered storm. When you use Gathering Storm and hit at least one enemy, you gain a Storm Stack. Every second you expend a Storm Stack to cause a Storm Bolt to strike a nearby enemy. This interval is reduced by 2% for every stack you currently have.”

With higher stack counts firing off Storm Bolts at greater rates, Gathering Storm is an ability that is about pressing the attack for greater reward. By the time you reach 50 Storm Stacks, there is zero delay between consuming stacks to generate Storm Bolts, so a greater stack count is always beneficial.

Gathering Storm costs zero mana by default, and inherently gains 4% increased damage per point of strength to the Melee Attack, while each point of Attunement grants it +1 spell damage for Storm Bolt.

In its tree, you will find various ways to generate, spend, and manage stacks and gain different effects from Storm Stacks. It’s also worth noting that old references to the “Lightning” ability in the Shaman Passive tree, and some of the other abilities, have been changed to Storm Bolt. All instances of Storm Bolt use Gathering Storm’s Storm Bolt - even when your Primal Wolves cast it. Meaning these additional Storm Bolt triggers synergize very well with Gathering Storm to create a quite frenetic storm of lightning.

Let’s take a look at some of the ways you can customize Gathering Storm through its skill tree.

Frostbringer

Frostbringer converts Gathering Storm and Storm Bolt’s Base Damage from Lightning to Cold, and converts Shock chance to Frostbite chance. This offers a great route for those looking for more crowd control through freeze, and damage over time with Frostbite.

Ranged Spell Conversion

With Lagonian Diplomacy and a Staff, Gathering Storm can be converted completely to a spell. Striking out with Storm Bolts directly, this node allows you to put complete focus into the spell aspects of Gathering Storm, though with an added mana cost.

Dual Wielding Support

What would a skill about pressing the attack be without some dual-wielding support? The Two Eyed Storm node grants your Storm Stacks the ability to strike two enemies for the price of one; so long as you have a weapon in each hand.

Whirlwind Tactics

For those that like to synergize their builds with Minions, you’ll also find support for this within Gathering Storm. One such node, Whirlwind Tactics, expends a number of Storm Stacks whenever you use a Companion ability.

Tempest Strike

As we covered in November’s Dev Blog, Tempest Strike has been reworked in functionality while keeping the same theme. Tempest Strike is now a powerful high-cost combo ability which triggers a Tempest with each strike, rather than a chance for a spell effect that it had previously.

While we talked a bit about how the skill was mechanically changing, at the time we were still making changes to the ability, and weren’t quite ready to show the tree for it. So today, as we are covering the new Primalist Skill, we also want to show everyone some of the new skill tree options coming to Tempest Strike.

Druid’s Call

Supporting transformations, Druids Call allows you an option to turn Tempest Strike into a melee triggered ability while transformed. I’m sure there’s many lightning Werebears out there who just had their ears perk up at the idea of adding another skill to the repertoire.

Tempest Sacrificing

In Tempest Strike’s tree you will find a number of nodes that allow you to sacrifice one of the Tempests in order to gain attack speed. Though do be aware, removing a Tempest does not remove the corresponding Strike. You’ll also find opportunities to synergize with other abilities for further spell combos, such as with the Ceaseless Typhoon node, which grants a chance to cast Tornado each time you trigger Wind Tempest in the combo.

Totem Support

With the Looming Gale node, you will convert Tempest Strike into a Tempest Totem which casts the three Tempests in sequence without the melee attack. This also converts the ability into a minion ability by changing it to a totem, allowing Tempest Strike to fit into other totem and minion builds.

Tempest Focus

Just want to keep it simple and add more Tempests? We’ve got you covered. Granting any of the strikes a chance to cast one of the tempests means you can lash out with multiple tempests on each strike. Pick a specific Tempest to focus on, or just trigger more of all of them, the choice is yours.

Closing

Thank you for joining us for this look at some of the updates coming to the Primalist with the new Gathering Storm ability, and reworked Tempest Strike ability. We look forward to seeing all the new Primalist, and in particular Shaman builds you all come up with.

We also want to take this opportunity to provide advanced notice concerning launch preparation. To get our servers set up for release, we will be taking the servers down 24 hours prior to launch.

Join us again tomorrow as we look at some of the new enemy models and animation updates we’ve made for 1.0 as we get ever closer to the release of Last Epoch!

51 Likes

Gathering Storm has got me wanting to play Primalist at launch now. That’s exactly the skill I wanted.

4 Likes

Pretty cool, looks like both skills will enable some new builds for primalist hopefully - would love to see some Shaman build diversity as a result of these skills.

I do wish that Gathering Storm had some Druid compatibility though - maybe there will be, but I guess we’ll have to wait and see the full Skill Tree!

2 Likes

So many “trigger” nodes, looks awesome!

1 Like

Man I’ve been wanting to try out some of the new subclasses, but Gathering Storm looks mega sweet!

1 Like

After almost a 1000 hours on shaman, this is worth it now

1 Like

This is the kind of Shaman we need.

1 Like

Making it hard to choose which class I want to play next week for 1.0, not that it’s a bad thing though.

1 Like

I have never played Primalist, but this makes me want to play it!

pretty awesome changes. im glad to see new skill gathering storm make more frostbite builds possible. im sad to see spriggan lose a skill synergy in ice thorns. werebear and swarmblade gaining another synergy just creates more of a gap amoung the transformation for build diversity. but cant wait to see what comes in future. keep up the great work EHG. im excited for 1.0

2 Likes

I was leaning warlock, but am now also wanting to play Primalist for launch as this skill looks amazing and is a refreshing changing.

New totem has me hyped, that alone makes me want to jump into 1.0 as shaman which I already was heavily leaning towards.

So you can have a tempest strike totem of each element, if you remove an element do you remove a totem?

1 Like

Looks great!
One question though… skills that had synergistic traits with ice thorns, such as the summon Grizzly, when changed to a caster… how do we scale that now? There were a few synergies with the old, but now removed spells. Have these changes been accounted for? Just curious :slight_smile:

What do those talents now work with? :slight_smile:

Cheers.

I’m very happy to see the dual-wielding using both weapons in their attacks. This is great, thanks for the update!

1 Like

skill tree or riot:D

1 Like

It does not - The totem node - “Looming Gale” replaces the ‘strike’ with a tempest totem. Removing a tempest does not remove the strike from the combo.

3 Likes

Hype :zap:

We’ve been planning the removal of Ice Thorns for a while - I believe we have already previously changed skill references, such as Primal Bear away from Ice Thorns? For instance, the Primal Bear has a subskill “Briar Thorns” instead of casting Ice Thorns. For affixes, they’re being replaced with Gathering Storm affixes.

1 Like

skills look awesome. So we can use Storm Totem together with the new Tempest strike totem?

Yes, they have separate totem count limits. Tempest Strike can have one of each Tempest, and Storm Totem can of course have its one totem.

1 Like