Game allocates VRAM continuously until it crashes at launch

After launching the game using a fresh installation of the Steam or standalone client, allocates VRAM until it consumes all of the available GPU memory. This can be observed in task manager under the performance tab by selecting GPU 0. Once the game allocates all the available VRAM (4GB in my case) it then hangs on the splash screen. Clicking the splash screen causes the game to enter the not responding state and crash. Occasionally, when the game crashes it also causes other applications such as Discord, Steam and Firefox to stop responding.

I removed any files stored in AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games prior to reinstalling the game on Steam and with the standalone launcher, as well as between launching the different clients, to ensure that a new graphics config file (attached) was created each time the game is launched. Unhelpfully, when the game crashes it does not generate a crash report or create the Crashes directory.

le_graphicsmanager.INI (504 Bytes)
Player.log (16.8 KB)

This has been happening for me since v0.8.2. Similar issues have been reported in various threads in the tech support section since v0.8.3 and the most recent patch including here, here and here. It has also been reported on the Steam Discussions page here.

Hey there…

Your Player.log is showing D3d11 errors:
d3d11: failed to create 2D texture shader resource
d3d11: failed to create 2D texture id=3197 width=2048 height=2048 mips=12 dxgifmt=72

These usually happen if the game settings are too much for the GPU to handle and the game will crash… The log is indicating that the game is not even able to load the UI properly - this is particularly odd, as usually these errors happen when loading into maps, not loading into the game. This is not normal behaviour.

Sometimes this is a GPU driver issue, sometimes its corrupted install files… sometimes its just the settings… and yes… there may be a bug somewhere - thats always a possibility with a beta.

You havent included any info on your system (dxdiag report) so I cannot check what you are using generally like OS, Drivers, diagnostics etc. but I can see that you have a GTX 970 GPU…

I would recommend the following:

1. Make sure your GPU drivers are up to date and installed using a safe mode clean installation - not an upgrade - use DDU if you dont know how to do this manually… This will ensure that the drivers are correctly installed and old versions removed.

2. This might help, but edit your le_graphicsmanager.ini file with the following:

• Change all Medium to VeryLow
  • Add the following on its own line at the end of the file: MemoryAllocation = 2048
  1. Dont run any other applications while playing LE… nothing else… doesnt matter how irrelevant you might think it is… just dont run anything else. nothing but Steam (if you are using it) and disable steam overlays.

2. I cannot see what your default screen resolution on your desktop is… But if its not 1920x1080, please set it to that before trying LE

3. Double check that you do not have any driver level configuration changes in place - things like AA, vsync overrides etc… Try and make sure its all default.

Test and see if any of this makes a difference.

Side Note about performance once you get into the game: To put the games current beta and unoptimised performance into perspective, I use a 1060 (virtually identical in performance to the 970) and I play the game at 1080p, all settings on very low with special features disabled or at their lowest settings. I limit the framerate to 55-60fps… I use these settings because the game is the most stable for my hardware at these settings and I seldom even have an fps spike…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.