Crash Upon Changing Zones and Casting Chaos Bolts

I’ve been encountering a fairly consistent crash upon entering a new zone and casting Chaos Bolts for the first time. Generally the first zone I played would work just fine, but then the first cast in the second zone would immediately send the game to a less than 1fps crawl.

The log files appear to be too large to upload (30-60 megabytes) so I’m truncating the latter 540k lines, as they are just a repeat of the same error (albeit with more nested clone refs, example from near the end of the file):

Warlock 01.2 Chaos Bolts Secondary Missiles(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone)(Clone) failed to make extra projectiles.
UnityEngine.Logger:Log(LogType, Object)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
ExtraProjectiles:MakeExtraProjectiles()
AbilitySyncCreatedAction:Invoke()
SelfDestroyer:die()
DestroyAfterDuration:OnUpdateTick(Single)
ScoreChangedAction:Invoke(Single)
LE.CustomUpdate.UpdateSystemCallbackManager:InternalUpdate(List`1, Single)
LE.CustomUpdate.UpdateSystem:Update()

Sometimes, but not always, as the crash happens, a large number of the projectiles spawn and cover an area (I have a screenshot of this I can provide if needed, someone also posted an example of this on reddit that was relatively easy to find). I’ve verified the game files but that didn’t resolve anything.

Player.log (2.6 MB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (517 Bytes)
DxDiag.txt (124.4 KB)

1 Like

This exact thing is happening to me as well. I’ve run out of troubleshooting ideas at this point. Had to give up on my warlock for now. It also seemed to be occurring with Cthonic Fissure.

Same exact problem with me as well. This is only happening on Warlock as I went ahead and recreated the exact conditions where I was crashing with other characters in the same zones, and no issues.

I reinstalled, verified game files, tweaked every graphical setting including playing on very low everything.

Same problem with the Chaos Bolts, hopefully it will be fixed soon.

I discovered that if you have “THE BURN” node taken in Chaos Bolt skill tree, your game will just get stuck at 1 fps/crash when you use it. So do not take it until it’s fixed. Atleast in my case that was the reason of crashes/freezes.

proof: Watch Last Epoch 2024.02.22 - 18.33.57.03 | Streamable

2 Likes

Just tried this and can confirm that this is the solution. I removed “The Burn” and haven’t crashed since. Thanks! Hope they fix this soon.

I don’t think this is directly related to “THE BURN”. I was running Bleed Chaos Bolts all day, and this only started happening the second I switched to Fire/Ignite (both versions with THE BURN).
Removed the note now, and it is fixed when playing the ignite version.

It was happening to me with bleed Chaos Bolt with The Burn. Removing that node fixed the problem for me as well.

Initially tried going from Ultra to Very Low graphics, still crashed when entering zones and trying to cast Chaos Bolt.

Removing “The Burn” also worked for me.

It worked for me too, thank you!

Can confirm, still a bug, still linked with the node “the burn”.

Bump. Still happens, removing The Burn works.

Not sure if it will help debugging, but I managed to capture this image during the issue:
20240228003624_1.zip (442.5 KB)

OK but The Burn is the main reason i’m using Chaos Bolt…

Still experiencing this bug after the most recent patch, same errors in the log re: clone bolts.

Wow, well that was a wild ride finding out what was happening to me. I was leveling with Chaos Bolt and had allocated The Burn for quite a while. It seemingly started slowing down even if I only cast Chthonic Fissure, but I must have cast Chaos Bolt as well unknowingly.

The reason I had such difficulty finding out the cause was because of the above, it took a while until the bug happened and it happened as I entered the Darkling Pier. I thought it was related to some ability by the enemies. Also a pic of what I was shown when it first happened. https://imgur.com/a/8Ijv3AY (do note this sc is in the The Imperial Dreadnought zone).

So I was trying to google for some sort of explosion graphical bug, but found nothing. Also do note my FPS which is at 0. The game was chugging along and if I managed to switch zones it went back to normal. Specced out of The Burn and it works just fine now in the zones I had problems with before.

Still happening to me, too. Confirmed removing the skill “The Burn” made things go back to normal…

I really want that skill node, though.

1 Like

Still happening to me. An area where i can reproduce the crash every time is the boss in the echo of The Stolen Lance. As soon as i cast Chaos Bolts, instant crash.
When THE BURN node is unselected then the crashes stop.

Same issue with me and my warlock. Every 2 or 3 new zones (echos to be exact) that I start up slows my game down to less than 1fps as soon as I cast chaos bolts. I’m so glad I found this forum and discovered that I’m not the only one. I’m going to try removing “The Burn” from my chaos bolts skill tree and crossing my fingers that this is fixed. At least until the bug is addressed. Thank you all

Same issue there.
Could any dev acknowledge the issue?
The Burn is one of the most exciting node on this skill :frowning: