Crash after main screen is shown

Hi, I’ve just bought this game 2 weeks ago and I cannot make it work. Tried everything reported on this forum, and I have a VERY similar problem to this one below:

Of course tried also:

1. update windows 10 to latest
  2. update nvidia drivers to latest (was already in latest when I installed the game)
  3. while updating nvidia, performed a clean install to reset all nvidia settings to default
  4. restarting my computer

I own almost 200 games that work perfectly, but this one crashes as soon as the main screen is shown, displayed in a windowed screen, and when it should start, just goes back to desktop most of the times, and sometimes, my hole video driver crashes.

I attach some of the requested files, hope this help.

I’m currently using a 4K monitor on it’s native resolution.

le_graphicsmanager.ini (483 Bytes)
Player.log (19.0 KB)

C:/Users/YOURNAME/AppData/Local/Temp/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch/Crashes is empty cause my Temp folder is moved, but I found this crashes logs:

Crashes.zip (183.2 KB)

Thanks.

Hey there… Welcome to the forums…

Short answer: Trying to play LE in 4k using a 1070 GPU is probably not going to be possible. At least not in medium settings @ 60fps. It MIGHT work at VeryLow but that would probably be unlikely.

Long answer:
LE is in beta and has known performance related instability. The game has not been optimised yet and will cause instability issues.

The player.log is showing all the telltale error logs that happen when the game cannot play on the hardware at the current settings - errors like the below are repeated over and over until the game crashes…

D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (3840 x 2050 fmt 9 aa 1)
D3D shader create error for vertex shader [0x887a0005]
d3d11: failed to create buffer
d3d11: failed to create 2D texture id=7304 width=2048 height=2048 mips=12 dxgifmt=78
d3d11: failed to create Cube texture id=7318 s=512 mips=10 d3dfmt=95

I would recommend the following:

1. Reboot so that its a clean startup
  2. Do not run any other applications other than Steam & LE while testing - disable or terminate anything else that is running - just temporarily
  3. Run the Steam Game File Verification process to make sure your install is ok.
  4. Edit the le_graphicsmanager.ini file:
    • replace all Medium with VeryLow
    • change resolution to 1920x1080
  5. Attempt to launch the game now.

If it launches but it looks like LE is trying to default to 4k resolution, then do the same again but set your Windows Desktop resolution to 1080p - just temporarily and start the game again.

If it launches at 1080p settings, then this is the problem - you cannot run LE at 4k on your 1070. From my experience (and using a 1060 GPU myself)… I would suggest you stick to playing LE in 1080p… or maybe test 1440p… Definitely not higher res or quality settings.

If none of this works, then please post the most recent player.log/error.log, le_graphicsmanager and the output from a dxdiag report…

Thanks for the feedback. So far I was able to start the game doing:

• Resolution: 1920x1080
  • Quality: High
  • Shutdown MSI Afterburner (Seems to have a problem with the overlay provided by Rivaturner it seems). THIS IS A MUST SOLVE, can’t check my hardware state (temperature, etc) without this running…

It’s crazy how much power this game requieres, I can play Batman Arkhan Knight in 1440p 60 fps with my GTX1070 and can’t run this game at 1080 full ? Hope you can improve that in the future, that game looks promising.

Thanks.

Check for updates for MSI Afterburner because it has sometimes problems with games or some drivers. You can use another SW for monitoring without overlay like HWiNFO.

You can´t compare it with 6 years old game especialy from different genre.

Glad that the lower settings allow the game to play…

The game is generally unoptimised so its going to have issues, even on hardware that is more capable than yours… and because of its current development state, it cannot really be compared to any other games - especially wrt performance issues…

Be careful with High settings - Medium is usually the most stable for people who have had issues in the past… The best thing to do is check your GPU usage while standing in town doing nothing… try and keep this at about 60% - this leaves enough headroom for handling any increased demand from the game during busy moments/loading up and generally keeps the game stable… Juggle resolution/quality/framerate to achieve this… LE doesnt play nice if you let it max out your GPU.

As @killerek mentioned, best to check for MSI Afterburner updates etc - I use Afterburner every time I play LE to monitor GPU usage/temps especially when i am testing something specific so it definitely does work. Just be very sure not to enable Afterburners overclocking features as that would obviously be a potential cause of instability…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.