Newly bought game on Steam keeps crashing on start

Hi,

The game keeps crashing on start. All I see is the initial black “Last Epoch” splash screen with the logo.

Things tried:

1. update windows to latest
  2. update nvidia drivers to latest
  3. while updating nvidia, performed a clean install to reset all nvidia settings to default
  4. restarting my computer

After doing these, the game managed to get to login screen once. I changed the graphical settings to Ultra(probably a mistake). On login screen there was an authentication failure so I quit the game to create an account on your site.

After creating an account the game returned to crashing on start.

Things tried(each step includes redoing the previous steps):

1. I deleted C:\Users<user>\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games folder to reset settings
  2. I verified the game files on steam
  3. I uninstalled the game and reinstalled
  4. I disabled steam overlay

Initially the game started in a maybe 1024x768 window, but after changing my graphical settings ingame to borderless windowed 3840x2160 the game keeps starting in borderless windowed mode. Deleting the settings file or even the whole folder in LocalLow makes no difference so I must assume the data about screen resolution is stored somewhere else?

Attached are the files requested by support sticky.

Crash_2021-09-04_190209757.zip (32.9 KB)
Player.log (11.7 KB)
DxDiag.txt (51.3 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (483 Bytes)

Hey there, Welcome to the forums…

Sorry you are having hassles trying to play LE.

To confirm… you were able to load the game initially… but after making some graphical settings changes, it now crashes every time - is this correct?

The current beta game will not play at 3840x2160 on a 1080 without massive instability and issues like crashing. Those settings are currently the domain of 2080s & 3000 series or similar gpus… .depending obviously on other settings. Ultra graphics would pretty much bring your gpu to tears at that resolution.

The le_graphicsmanager.ini file still shows that its trying to run the game at 3840x2160…

Manually edit this file and make the following changes:
ScreenMode = ExclusiveFullScreen
Resolution = 1920x1080

Try that… and see what happens…

I will look through the other info in the meanwhile.

To confirm the chronology:

1. Game bought, keeps crashing
  2. Update windows and nvidia and restart
  3. Game gets to login screen once. I updated settings and exited the game.
  4. Game keeps crashing on splash screen, regardless of deleting all config data.

I updated the graphics settings ini file and saw no effect. Game does not go to exclusive fullscreen when starting. Splashscreen is still shown as a borderless 4k window.

Attached is the updated ini file.

le_graphicsmanager.ini (487 Bytes)

Another update, I found some registry keys related to last epoch from windows registry.

Key for the settings was: HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-4207360993-4192247613-1653953094-1000\Software\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch

After deleting those, the splash screen is back to a small window, just as it was after freshly installed. However, the game keeps generating the graphics settings ini with:
ScreenMode = MaximizedWindow
Resolution = 3840x2160

That is my native resolution.

The game keeps crashing still.

Thanks for confirming that you have never actually played the game.

The game is unlikely to start at the resolution you are using on a 1080… As you have updated drivers etc the only other thing I can suggest is that you temporarily change your windows resolution to 1080p and see if the game will start without trying to use a 4k res.

If it does work at this forced resolution then perhaps you can edit the settings again to all on very low & with the correct display mode and res and then go back to your higher resolution on the desktop and see if this makes any difference.

ps… You should not be editing (or needing to edit) registry entries for LE.

After changing system res to 1080p the game did generate a ini file with:
ScreenMode = MaximizedWindow
Resolution = 1920x1080

Sadly still crashes though.

ps… You should not be editing (or needing to edit) registry entries for LE.

The game was clearly remembering my resolution settings outside the ini file, as is evident from checking the registry keys stored. I deleted those to get back to a default state.

Ok… To confirm, your desktop resolution is 3840x2160 now, the game is set to play at 1920x1080 in a maximised window… It still crashes immediately before getting to the login screen or purple username stage…

Please can you include the latest log & setting file to refer to…

Re registry settings - Perhaps, but the chances of something else happening due to deleting registry keys without understanding their purpose is dangerous and could negate anything you attempt from now on… and deleting them didnt help anyway.

Looking at your Crash files, the game is crashing at an ntdll.dll level - so its not referring to specific gpu drivers or the game engine - but something else.

Please can you look at your event viewer and see what critical errors/warnings are happening around the time that Last Epoch is crashing… Normally some of this info is in the end of the dxdiag file but its not in yours.

Are you running anything else while you are testing LE? There are quite a few instances of third party applications causing problems with the Unity game engine - some are particularly obscure - like Teamviewer - so its very important that you do not run any other applications while testing LE… this includes things like graphical overlays, screen capture, streaming, macro apps etc… just temporarily dont run anything (including autostarted).

Important note that may or may not apply here - Other users with Windows 7 that have had issues (including constant crashing) that have not been able to be resolved without reinstalling Windows 7 - some have spent weeks with the EHG devs doing low level troubleshooting without any success - only to have a reinstall allow them to play the game first time without any issues. I am not saying this is the issue in your instance but it is important that you are aware of this.

EDIT: Did you do a safe mode GPU driver installation? or use something like DDU?

When my windows reso is 4k, game generates a config file with 4k and crashes.
When my windows reso is 1080p, game generates a config file with 1080p and crashes.
When editing the default medium level game ini file manually to exclusive fullscreen 1080p, game still crashes.

Event viewer shows nothing but the game process reporting an error(as expected) and windows error reporting service waking up and going back to sleep for each error(as expected).

Did you do a safe mode GPU driver installation (or use something like DDU)?
Sometimes drivers do not install correctly if you dont remove the older files first.

Please can you try:

and also for DirectX.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

For now I have given up and sliced 150GB off my SSD for a linux installation, and installed the game there.

I’ll try windows again after a few patches to the game.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.