3 runes for endgame

These threads always bomb, maybe a dev might have a read though

Ive had the idea for these 3 runes which I have no proper names for but revolve around end game farming loop and can be used as currency for trading in future if that ever comes.

Rune of ‘Redemption’ - Restores half (or 40% depending) of the base Forging Potential to an item. Removes 1 affix randomly, Can target Exalted rolls removing them however will keep the items base FP, can be used with 0 FP but only under ‘xx’ FP - global drop in Empowered content

Rune of Rebirth? (is that already a thing?) - Restores your unique with LP rolls added back to standard unique with no LP - this is for failed ventures of rare uniques. these would be a rare global drop only appearing from Corruption 200

Rune of Empowerment - Adds a fixed 1-2LP to a unique, 85% for 1 15% for 2 (or 70/30), cannot go above 2, only drops from Corruption 300+ bosses at a certain improving rate per corruption

Lets be real the main end game progression for the average-above average player is 1-2LP uniques with good rolls, you might get lucky with 3-4 whatever

The idea (for me) would be; even in a trade/SSF setting, I would want many Runes of Redemption to constantly refine my items (it could still brick eventually) to potential perfection, using those items I could then transfer them onto items with LP/use them of course

If my ‘decent’ unique bricks or just isnt good enough I can farm the Rebirth rune to reset the unique at my cost back to its base 0LP form, then I can at my own cost use a Empowerment trying to get it back to 2LP (if the item hits 1LP you would need another Rebirth everytime) to return back to Redemption rune requirements for gear, back to Rebirth to try again and keep trying this process on the same unique base assuming I have the means to do so

In a trade setting these runes can be used as a sort of trade value/marker to set a price. Redemption runes would be cheap. Rebirth mid tier, Empowerment expensive I would assume, with a player driven economy people could almost formulate a price. These runes are designed to be consumed all the time, the idea is the player wants these runes to craft immediately or saving for a reset/LP chance or even god forbid trading them for other items if thats a thing

If a 2LP unique dropped naturally that would be a price of 7 Empowerment Runes + rarity of item (15% chance for 2LP via the rune) to sell to someone for example

Even ignoring trade, the loop is basically farm gear/runes > attempt to get 2LP > fail probably > reset the unique > try again > get it? > move onto another unique

Also I would think adds more diversity to the game knowing certain boss uniques can eventually get 2LP with enough investment instead of spamming that boss forever until a 2LP ever dropped

I’m probably not understanding the first idea well enough, but that rune seems like something that brings the craft system more back towards what it use to be, where you can just ruin an item.

The second rune I absoilutely love teh idea of, and I think that would be a great addition, as long as it was rare enough.

The third rune I don’t think is needed, mainly because if someone suggested making lp 1 and 2 less rare, i’d say it’s already pretty common, and all this rune does is make lp 1 and 2 less rare. But also make it way too common on the items that it shouldnt be that common on.

Second rune is great. Love the idea since it’s just restoring what you already had and fits the time mechanic.

First rune seems like you could potentially craft at infinitum so I’d be scared to add it even with proper balance.

Third rune would break the LP system I think, especially in combination with the second rune.

1 Like

It can ruin your item but you can also create non exalted high rolled rares as the base would retain the FP the exalted item has as all exalts have more FP to craft on, its a consumable resource aimed at making you re-use the same base as much as you could without tossing it away but you can also gamble on trying to get a reasonable Exalted / 3x T5 without using a rune of removal, also the big one can be used on 0FP cost

The main use it to infinitely reroll if possible a rare unique (Bastions/Ravenous/even Exsang) or annoying to obtain unique with LP such as Last Steps of the Living with 15% rolls or Titan Heart with a perfect 40% roll you want to infinitely reroll until you hit a nice 2LP conversion

Well you cant go above 2LP so any 3LP unique already has a better ‘base’ to work on but you will only get your one try to hit 3LP of something you want. If you manage to hit a 3LP with everything you want you almost beat the game anyway in that gear slot, with this sytem it just means the highest tier of gearing you could achieve is T7 (t7/t5 really) x 2LP unique with the unique of your choice

Absolutely, thats the whole point, you are gated by how many Runes you have thats why you will always want them and so will others, you might break your base occasionally but the point is to keep crafting as long as you can afford to by how much farming you have done or even trading them

But the overarching idea is you get excited when these runes drop, you will either want to immediately use/plan another LP craft/trade for something

This isnt meant to be like Rune of Creation where one drops and you dont care also the drop rates for example means you may have to do 250 monoliths to find one single Empowerment rune, you wont be blowing these on trash you will make calculated decisions where you will use them

edit: I had a further use for the Rebirth on rares as they will be more common and get saturated so an additional use such as ‘Removes all affixes from an item, Costs 0 FP’ but I havent fleshed it properly

I like the spirit of these. I think I’d change them a bit to fit the style of the crafting system and what separates it from other systems. For example, I understand the reasoning behind the first one and how it brings it a little closer to PoE crafting insofar as something can be crafted on infinitely until it’s perfect (aside from the Exalted affixes). While I’d like to have a risky Rune that can give me more FP, I’m not sure that I’d want the infinite loop part. Speaking of risky plays, instead of the rune that gives 1 or 2 lp I’d like something that has a chance to increase the LP on an item but with a higher chance of a serious downside. Example: A rune that only works on Uniques with LP and has a 30% chance to increase their LP value by 1, a 20% chance to do nothing, and a 50% chance to reduce the LP to zero. It’s a big risk but it has a big payoff.

Ive been playing Torchlight which unlike PoE does let you craft absolutely infinity if you have the mats and escalates in cost to almost extreme levels but you can craft 6xT1 affixes at a vendor assuming you have massive mats

The gameplay loop of TI is similair. Do maps > collect Embers (crafting mats like Essences/Fossils that give fixed variance of affixes) > reroll item until done

Torchlight everytime you craft gives you the option to do nothing/add an affix/add an affix while removing an affix, using this balancing you can craft over and over on the same base until you are done

The craft escalates in cost but does the same thing as PoE ie 1% chance for T1. At the final process if you desire you can add a special Ember which costs a lot and is really RNG heavy

The point is though only bosses have a really high ceiling there, you can crush maps with lesser gear but the devs balance the top bosses around having really insane but obtainable gear

Yep I’m actually fine with that kind of mechanic, although it does get tedious. But the biggest reason I question adding it to the LE crafting system is because I think not being able to infinitely loop a craft is one of the things that sets it apart from other systems and opens up some creative ways to offer crafting options that might not be realistic in an infinite crafting environment.

Well the idea as well is to craft a really good item to intend to transfer to a LP unique which you then lose 50% of the affixes anyway… so the primary aim for me is to keep reproducing decent gear to consume it,

Funny enough EHG is the first aRPG developer that showed me personally that having really good gear is fine if you balance around that, same as Torchlight. PoE on the other hand it can be quite hard to get REALLY good gear but if you do, you trivialize most of the game…

Also GGG have insanely high standard of player time input to get 5-6 affixes you want. very unreasonably requirements, mainly due to the fact gear can get just ruined unless you have vast amounts of currency to burn

And thats basically why they said they don’t want to have that kind of thing when its been bought up on the past. Ditto the “infinitely regain fp” rune.

2 Likes

Thats why you balance the drop rates accordingly

Example: You just did the whole Black Sun Timeline on Corruption 143, that took you 20 monoliths, in that run you found 2 Redemptions. That isnt gamebreaking to me to allow one single rare item to have its FP restored by 40% (numbers are just placeholder, I cant test anything and that could even be too high) twice and if its exalted you have 2 chances to lose the exalt affix. plus you WILL lose 2 potential T5 rolls

This really isnt any different from someone sitting there spamming Ascendance runes until they have none left. I remember when I last played I wanted that Cast on Crit Bow and I wanted it asap so I just spammed every Ascendance I had farmed over whatever time it took me to far them and I got it after maybe 7-8 rolls. I was brute forcing that with the tools available and was appreciated I could convert my other hard work into a Bow that was at the mercy of RNG otherwise

2 in 20 monos??? Dude when I was reading these i thought that one would be like, 1 in 200 monos lmfao

20 monos is like, an hour, maybe less.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.