+x Skill mods

Only when u got item with +X to skill, that gives a X points to skill tree.

Situation: we got skill lvl20 and chosed top way, mean upper nodes, leaving few at 1/4 or 2/3, just bc we need unlock next node.
When we wear item with +X to skill we get aditionak X skill points on that skill. So, we want increase upper nodes, that one with 1/4 or 2/3. We do it. And now when we take off item with +X to skill, in skill line we have lost not that last points what we spend, but bottom ones. Thaths really bad, bc u need no dlvl skill at as many points that item wieh +X will give u to make skill at correct way.

That my skill tree looks without +X item:
WS+0
That with +X ( exacly +2 ):
WS+2
And that when i take off item without respecs:
WS+0 +2 off

And that is a item with one i wearing:
Armor +2 WS

So, best option will be that thaths skill tree schould remember with one points was a over points.

This isn’t a bug. They’ve said before that the game will remove a skill point randomly, so as long as it’s not removing a point from a node that needs it to enable a subsequent node (from Souls of Rage in your example, or Spectral Putrescence).

This is feedback/a request.

Its a bug, bc then dont remove its randomly, but always same two :slight_smile:

Because that’s what the algorithm that has decided the points should be removed from. It’s the intended behaviour.

This is functioning as intended. I understand the request you have. However, in order to make the items less exploitable for free respecs, the nodes removed needs to be deterministic.

Recording the order in which nodes were placed and removing them in that order brings multiple new problems.

We will keep an eye on feedback regarding the system to see if steps need to be taken. So far, we are quite happy with it.

Note: I have moved this to the feedback and suggestions section.

4 Likes

I quess, that will be good option that “learned” skills lvls, stay, and the lvls from items are moved. Otherways, meabe one of method will be that when u have item with +2 to skill then that skill gets overcaped LVL that u can “exp” like normally lvl 1-20. That will be more uniqe, bc now when you wear item with +skill u alredy got that +lvl of skill. Other option is that, what i say in begining. Learned points [ 1-20 ] should be static, and over points from items, movable. Thx a lot.

We considered this approach too. Unfortunately it doesn’t work. If you invest your +skills from items in a node at skill level 10 which is a required node for points invested by leveling naturally later, those points can’t be removed as it would invalidate the tree by leaning a gap.

This means we can’t differentiate between points earned by +skill items and points earned by leveling.

1 Like

i dont see here any problems or exploits. Can you put more details on what you mean?

You can equip an item with +2, skill certain nodes, remove the item, re-equip, skill different nodes…

You could choose to skill some mechanically changing nodes as the last points in your skilltree.

For example you could skill Lightning blast convergence node with the last point from an +x item.

For mobs you take the item off, skill that point elsewhere, for bosses do the same and skill convergence to have more single target damage.

There is at least one problem, and I suspect multiple problems – he outlined one in the post above yours

i don’t understand what is written here

When skill points are removed you can only remove them from the edges of your skill tree. You can’t remove a point if that point is required to “support” a different node that you’ve taken & skill points from gear is no different.

if you remove last points allocated you will never come across this issue

1 Like

Sure thing, the biggest thing is the ability to quick change your build from an aoe build to a single target build by simply removing your gear and putting it back on.

This is a very oversimplified version of the problem but with +5 to individual skills being possible right out of the gate, we did find several abilities that has this issue. And if we can find several in the span of a few seconds of thinking about it, I’m sure all of you together will find a way to do it with just about every skill.

Let’s say that a tree has 2 nodes:

• 95% less single target damage
  • 200% more aoe damage

and

• 95% less aoe damage
  • 200% more single target damage

If you have a +1 to this skill item, you can have the first node all through the monolith clearing and then right before the boss, unequip it, re-equip it, replace the aoe node with the single target node and suddenly you have a boss killing build.

This creates a problem with build guides suddenly describing skill allocations where you have to use specific items in a really unintuitive way.

3 Likes

Honestly, I don’t understand the problem with memorizing skill upgrades sequence. I mean, all character data is stored, including skills state. So why not store a sequence? Stored sequence will allow to remove +xSkill items with expected de-level the very last leveled nodes.

And the algorithm is pretty simple as I see it.

• Lets say we have some skill: “CoolSkill”.

• “CoolSkill” has a lot of nodes to level.

• Each node has in-skill-unique case-sensitive one-symbol code. For example…

• Burn it! (more flat fire damage) - “A”.
    • Soul fire (more flat necrotic damage) - “B”.
    • Inevitability (more % damage & projectile speed) - “b”.
    • Hatred (all damage converted to necrotic) - “C”.
    • Death rain (more projectiles) - “4”.
    • etc.
  • Lets assume that player leveled Burn it (1 time) → Soul fire (1 time) → Inevitability (2 times) → Hatred (1 time) → Inevitability (2 more times) → Death rain (2 times) → Soul fire (4 more times) → Burn it (4 more times)

This path can be easily stored as a string: ABbbCbb44BBBBAAAA

So when player removes +xSkill item - just remove x nodes starting from right!
Player despecializes skill and removes some points randomly? Lets say, removed 2 points from “Soul fire” - so remove 2 “B”-s starting from right again!

And than we’ll get: ABbbCbb44BBAAAA

Did you even read what Mike_Weicker did described earlier in this thread?

It is not how to implement that, but about potential exploits arise from this method.
He even gave examples.

Putting so much effort in something, that already got ruled out with valid reasoning seems like a waste sadly :imp:

1 Like

Ooooops… I see it now, sorry :pleading_face:
Just falling asleep and was very inattentive :sleepy:

2 Likes

Could skills not just remember the number of points spent? So if you have 22 points in a skill and take off that +2 item, it removes the last 2 things you put into the skill. Then if you put the item back on, it remembers what you invested them in and automatically brings those back. If you spec out of some skill points and then try to put the item back on, it remembers the skill point order and just puts back the last points despecced. Basically, make it so the only way to “reset” the +skill would be to have it equipped and respec those points for the cost.

Just a thought.

I haven’t really found +skills to be that useful yet. Skills don’t seem that much more powerful with a few extra points in them.

1 Like

+X to skills is definitely very skill dependant.

There are skills setup where it’s not even worth the affix slot, but on the other hand there are skills where this can enable certain combination of key nodes or just simply taking one or 2 more points into more multipliers, which can be big.

1 Like