Very poor performance

The game was playable in the starting area but once I got to the void is became almost unplayable. The framerate is very low and even when it was playable I was getting sub 25fps with stuttering when the game loaded assets. the further I got into the game during my first 1-2 hour play session it got worse.

It occasionally starts running better after I stutter around the map and seemingly load the extra textures.

System details below.

Ubuntu 20.04 (stock and updated)
Mate window manager 1.24.0
Native Linux client installed from Steam

GTX960 running 440.64 proprietary
Temps reach 62c max on GPU
GPU Utilization between 25 and 95%

Intel 3930k
CPU utilization 75% to 100% on 1 core
Govenor set to performance
CPU temps never over 70c (rated to ~94c before it would go into protect mode and slow the clock)
Looks to be only using one core but jumps a lot from core to core

16gig RAM
Uses between 9 and 11 gigabytes of RAM!!

Textures set to very low
Medium brightness
Maximized Window
Resolution set to 1920x1080 but tried lower resolutions and this had no percieable impact.
Vertical Sync on and off (no difference)
Antialiasing off
Shadow quality very low
Grass density off
Reflections very low
Ambient Occlusion very low
Screen Space Reflections very low
Terrain Quality very low
Bloom off

I have tried just about every combo I could think of and used some suggested settings I found posted in other threads. I can play other games on near full quality at 1920x1080 with no issues and even windows games using proton through Steam or installed with wine seem to blow this game out of the water when it comes to performance.

The game looks like it will be amazing but I cant play it like this and I just spent $35 on it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Could you upload your log file?

Linux
File name: Player.log

Player.log (70.4 KB)

I just want to add the same kind of feeling about the game.
I would say my computer is a bit higher rated then TNT533:
Manjaro 4.19
i7-6700K
Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
16 GB Ram

Paste from Steam info:

I get around 17 fps in the menu and in game from 16-24 fps.

Player.log:
Player.log (71.0 KB)

I tested running with Proton 5.0.7 and it seems to be the same.
In the first menu, I have 60 fps from Steam over layer counter but once I login with my user the fps goes down to circa 17.
In Linux it has 17 fps from the very start.

Tested also running the game in Linux on the lowest graphic setting, gave me something like 25 fps

This seems to be a general problem in linux (at least ubuntu). Hopefully things will get better after we get an update from 0.7.6c.

I switched to standard Ubuntu using Gnome instead of Ubuntu Mate and I am seeing some minor improvements. I have to have the settings turned down as far as possible to get decent framerates. On vanilla Ubuntu the game does indeed perform better.

This morning I was playing for a few hours and the game eventually took over all 16 gig of RAM in my system and froze my entire OS. The swap filled and it was showing sitting at 15.4 of 15.8 used and I TPed back to town and it was done.

You guys really need to limit the amount of RAM the game can use so it makes sure to leave enough for the OS. I can see this happening on a system with 4 or even 8 gig of installed memory but not on a system with 16.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.