Upcoming bug-fix to Ballista

This happened because the survey was carried out in conjunction with the discovery of outsized and damaging bugs to the game servers (warlock ward and infinite skill stacking).
Introducing a poll to decide whether to fix bugs in a game, especially when there are extreme and game-breaking bugs present, can be a risky move.
What you are saying right here confirms it, the votes in a poll could indeed be biased by the most recent discoveries or events in the game, this is a well known phenomenon and it’s called “Recency bias”.

Due to the outcome of the survey, I pretty much has guess this was the case. If it was mostly voted by people-who-loathed-meta-build-that-insisted-on-building-their-own-build, the outcome should be a big yes to BOTH fixing bug and nerfing OP builds. Users of exploding ballista has no hint from any media that hinted it is based on bug. The survey is just too vague that most people will not say no to “fixing bug”, while they have no idea it could be affecting themselves.
I said this already but: In law, if something was stolen and you knew it, while still buying it, you committed a crime. But if you are innocent and bought the item, you have every right to keep it or be compensated to the cost that you acquired it.
It is very wrong that innocent users have to pay up for developer’s error.

2 Likes

by now the whole point of this thread is that some people do want play the game in their own way despite the way the devs were intended to play their own game. these people don’t respect the devs’ intended way nor the results of the survey and so the community. they just want what they want and don’t give a damn about the rest of us.

1 Like

The change will not contribute positively to the game or address any significant issues, it wasn’t necessary because it’s going to fix an unknown bug that will de facto result in a mid-cycle game balance patch that was not even requested because nobody, before the announcement, was complaining about it and everyone was playing quietly, completely ignoring the performance of this specific build, not even all this apologists.

1 Like

It sucks that people feel like their time was wasted, but it really is not that serious. There are no victims here. This is just a minor blip in the power level of a build in a game we use to goof around in and have fun. Important to keep some perspective here.

That said, the main issue here seems to be that people did not view this particular bug as “broken” in the same way as the last couple of bugs that got fixed. No doubt EHG has someone watching all of this and will take that into account for their next round of potential fixes.

1 Like

Developers release version 1.0 when they are sure that the game will work as they intended. If they made a mistake, then don’t let them shift the blame and problem solving onto the players. The victim here is not the developers, but the players who believed and now regret the time spent.

3 Likes

What kind of logic is this? Oh boy tyvm you made my day that shit made laugh… like a lot.

I can understand your point of view but for many players the time invested in a game is very important and it’s worth of respect. While this issue can be seen as a minor thing for you it can be frustrating for those who invested time, efforts and expectations in the grind.

The bug wasn’t known so there was really no opinion about it and so no way to avoid the waste of time.

1 Like

According to Google and Wikipedia the area of a circle is taught in 7th grade in the USA and children are about 12 to 13 years old then.
I looked that up because I am under the impression that many posters here must be younger than that.
And that really puts things into perspective and explains why some here already have hundreds of hours in the game but do not get the difference between linear and quadratic scaling or what the difference between a bug fix and a balance nerf is.

Only those at that age actually could believe they were entitled to play a build “advertized” as overpowered or broken which actually is exactly that: broken due to an E R R O R.

On a side note: POE had the exactly same error (i.e. radius vs area) with Cyclone (POE’s Warpth) a couple of years ago and the Developers only noticed years after release.

2 Likes

Definitely do not want to downplay the way people might feel about this. Yes it is minor for me because I was not playing that build (due to the flashing more than anything :laughing:) but people’s time should be respected.

Yeah, that is a good way of reframing what I said. If this one had been “omg busted” in the way people talked about the last bugfixes, then I bet the response would be very different. Seems like a lot of people just took this ballista ability at face value though.

EHG is in a difficult position here. They committed to fixing performance enhancing bugs, but clearly a lot of what makes people consider a bug to be worthy of fixing is in whether it is obvious that there is a bug there in the first place.

Perhaps that’s why developers shouldn’t hire 13-year-old students to develop and test? Sarcasm, your message is shifting blame.

1 Like

It is really funny how after arguing a premise you immediately proceed to destroy it yourself in a few lines of text.

I would say that this is the right direction to look at the problem.

2 Likes

Ha ha, you could put it that way. They got the formula for the area right, though. The bug was scaling the radius, not the area. And these kind of errors happen all the time. Particularly when you are building a game and not a critical system lifes depend upon.
Yes, it is annoying but I personally have played games with much worse and much more bugs.

Sarcasm, perhaps, my apologies. However, the devs are fixing an error which is detrimental to the competitive aspect of the game (which I personally do not care about), while certain customers insist on a right to continue to exploit those errors. That’s childish.

1 Like

Mistakes are normal, and fixing them is also good. But the priorities of the developers are unclear. When they fix builds in the middle of the season, forcing people to drop characters or a game. At the same time, they do not fix the possibility of duplicating things, which spoils the game much more. And if the community could choose which is better to fix in the middle of the season, a build or a dup at an auction, what would it choose?
And the competitive aspect? Seriously?

As far as i know there are no prizes or awards in this game. Putting the competitive scene in the way is like throwing water to one’s own mill.

1 Like

My understanding is that fixing this particular bug is a matter of minutes, a low hanging fruit.
A_bug = pi * (r(1+inc))^2
A_fix = (1 + inc) * pi * r^2
Doing so they had to piss off a number of players which were, knowingly or not, playing a build which exploited that bug.
Duping on the other hand is probably very complex and also not easy to reproduce. If it was easy I am sure it would have been fixed already with a hotfix. On top of that they were probably ill-prepared because MG was introduced with release.
I agree, duping is more critical for most players because it depricates the market. I also have no doubt that duping is also more critical for EHG! I would assume they only have a small team of engineers capable of adressing these issues and that those are currently working their asses off.

1 Like

no you didn’t, or if you did you’re an idiot behaving like a 5-year-old having a tantrum

1 Like

This feels deceptive.

Trying to claim you are fixing a bug by trying to jump through some imaginary geometry hoops when everyone knows you are just targeting the strongest performing builds.

I’d think you’d be better off just saying we are nerfing ballista.

1 Like

I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am, but I don’t think “can only clear half a screen instead of an entire screen with a click of a button” isn’t the definition of “completely unplayable”. If it were the definition, then there wouldn’t be any other builds playable in LE. Which is quite clearly, and this is a technical term, bollocks.