Unity crash error

error.log (54.8 KB)
Player.log (30.5 KB)
Game crashing randomly with unity error

Hi, Welcome to the forumsā€¦

From the logfiles you have provided there are three abnormal debug messages that I can see:

• NullReferenceException: WindowFocusManager.OnApplicationFocus (System.Boolean focus)

• Exception: SteamApi_Init returned false. Steam isnā€™t running, couldnā€™t find Steam,

• Failed to LoginWithLatestRefreshToken ErrorCode: InvalidRequest Message: Refresh token not found!

These seem to point to some sort of Window Focus issue, the Steam application not running and a potential issue with the Login processā€¦

You havent provided a dxdiag report so I cannot tell much more about your specific setup or what the diagnostic section (end of the dxdiag report) might be saying is happening.

Soā€¦ with such an arbitrary selection of abnormal errors, I would suggest a general purpose approach to the problem:

1. Verify the game files via Steam. This is an important first step to do whenever you have LE issues.

2. The Window Focus error could be GPU related and other than seeing that you are using a 2060 on 1080p with 75hz I dont know what settings you are using (le_graphicsmanager.ini) or if your GPU drivers are recent and okā€¦ I would therefore recommend that you do a safe mode, clean GPU driver installation - use something like DDU if you dont know how to do this yourselfā€¦ Note: just upgrading a driver doesnt always remove old driver files or replace files that may be corrupted. Also, make sure that you enable a maximum framerate limit (not vsync) in the LE game settingsā€¦ do not leave it unlimited and based on the info I can find about your system, there is no point in setting it faster than your monitor Hz - which looks to be 75fps (i.e. Hz). Also, because of this Focus error, are you alt-tabbing while the game is loading up or while its loading into a new area/map - this can potentially cause random issues for someā€¦

3. Because of the Steam error, I would make sure that your Steam application is updated and working properly. I would also try and make sure that something is not terminating Steam by mistake while you are playing as this is likely to cause instability in the game.

4. I see you are using 19044 version of Windows 10ā€¦ double check that there are no failed Windows Update patches or optional patches recommended for your hardwareā€¦ Iā€™d recommend doing a check to make sure that all device drivers and BIOS firmware are all up to date.

5. View Reliability History / Event viewer logs on your system and make sure that there are not any other messages being logged by Windows when LE is crashingā€¦ it could provide more information as to exactly what is happening - especially if there is something that happens just before LE crashes.

6. Temporarily do not run ANY other applications or services while testing LEā€¦ doesnt matter how irrelevant you might think it is, just temporarily do not run itā€¦ There are lots of obscure apps that can potentially cause problems with the Unity game engine so its best to just not use anything while testing LEā€¦ This includes things like Steam Overlay which LE doesnt use anyway.

DxDiag.txt (94.5 KB)
in event viewer i am getting
Faulting application name: Last Epoch.exe, version: 2019.4.23.19969, time stamp: 0x60519ea2
Faulting module name: UnityPlayer.dll, version: 2019.4.23.19969, time stamp: 0x6051a069
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000d4360e
Faulting process ID: 0x4724
Faulting application start time: 0x01d80ca01ed3c23d
Faulting application path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Last Epoch\Last Epoch.exe
Faulting module path: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Last Epoch\UnityPlayer.dll
Report ID: 7904771c-115f-4b1f-99d8-3d32227425f2
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

steam is working fine
my drivers are recently updated using ddu on safe mode
verifying game files was the first thing i did

See if this thread matches your experience and perhaps try some things on here. If nothing works, join the club and wait for a fix unfortunately.

Obviously the Last Epoch error is in the Event viewer, I meant checking if there is anything else being logged at the same time or just before the LE errorā€¦ Even just an info or warning log around the same moment could help figure out what is happening.

Steam is working fine - how do you know this? Did you attempt to do a Steam reinstallation? The game logged that the link to Steam isnt working - i.e. it couldnt find the SteamAPI so its likely that there was/is a problem between the Unity game engine and Steam. This is not a normal debug error - in fact, I dont recall seeing it before in anyones logs - so it is worth checking. Perhaps there is a Steam dll thats gotten messed upā€¦ Perhaps Steam Overlay is enabled and causing some sort of issueā€¦ Remember, just because other Steam games might be fine, doesnt mean there cannot be something wrongā€¦ LE automates login credentials via the Steam app and this has caused issues in the past when its failed.

GPU driverā€¦ Ok. I see that your screen is 60hzā€¦ So be sure to set the framerate max in-game to 60fps - your monitor cannot show it faster anyway.

Are you using Windows Gaming Mode or do you have Microsoft Gaming services running? The diagnostic section of the dxdiag shows quite a few Microsoft Store Gaming Services errorsā€¦ These kinds of things can indirectly cause problems so double check that the Windows Store is not trying to update something and disable Gaming mode while playing LE.

From the diagnostic section, I only see one Last Epoch crashā€¦ How often is this crashing happening? Remember this is a beta early access game so crashing should not be unexpectedā€¦

Because of the Steam related errors, I would also suggest trying out the Standalone player version available for download from the EHG Account page.

@GileonFletcher That thread is fairly long and may not have anything to do with this particular persons issues - i.e. the log is showing different errorsā€¦ I understand you are frustrated with your own personal experiences trying to play the game stably, but there are many different possible causes for errors and some can be resolved so assuming that everyone who posts about crashing has the same issue just confuses things and doesnt really offer constructive help.

The thread is long, but if Zack is having the same symptoms then odds are it is the same issue. You say the log is different, but the event viewer log and errors I see are identical to my own. You keep assuming itā€™s a user error (including on my original thread) and keep scaring people into thinking their computer hardware is failing. Instead of assuming itā€™s the user, get them to compare it to known issues in that thread. If it doesnā€™t match, sure itā€™s probably something else and perhaps the user.

What? User error? How is this user error and how is my advice suggesting its a user error? I am suggesting checking game files, GPU drivers and investigating if there is some other conflict happening and using certain settings that are known to be stableā€¦ At no time do I suggest that a user is specifically causing a crash by actively doing something.

Unity errors can be caused by a multitude of reasons - hence the error log and player log debug messages that provide a starting pointā€¦ The only time I have warned people about hardware are when there are specific errors in the info - like LiveKernel errors which are notorious for potentially indicating failing hardwareā€¦ Which is most definitely not the case in this thread.

Get your facts straight.

User error is poor wording, more closely to our previous discussion of ā€œmeā€ problems. You assume each of these crash posts with the same error logs are localized ā€œmeā€ errors instead of a larger issue. This doesnā€™t change the result: Zack should look at some of the previous discussion on the issue. If the symptoms, images, and logs match, then it is almost certainly the same larger issue, hence why I posted the thread.

Edit: Iā€™ve also been seeing about 3-4 Steam forum posts and 1 or so posts on the official forums per week describing the same issue. I donā€™t think itā€™s eventually going to impact a large portion of the playerbase, but the number definitely isnā€™t going down. The biggest concern I have is the silence on the issueā€¦ this isnā€™t something you exactly wait to patch until the next major content update.

i am only getting this error in event viewer nothing else
game is connected to steam and working fine and i disabled steam overlay
no gaming mode and microsoft gaming services are not running
i also limit fps to 60 in game and still crashed tried enabling and disabling vsync and crashing
always a unity window pops up and game crashes

Did you try the standalone version? That will remove Steam from being a possible cause.

Did you attempt to fix the errors with the Gaming service via Windows Store? (look at the end of your dxdiag report for the errors).

Did you check Windows Update for any failed or recommended updates.

Are there any GPU driver overrides active? I.e. do you have any special 3d profiles enabled? any settings that override whatever the game does?

Other possible thing could be a corrupted savegame/stash/filter fileā€¦
Look in: C:\Users[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch
Backup the files in ā€œFiltersā€ & ā€œSavesā€ - make sure you have a copy.
Delete all the files in the save & filter folderā€¦
Start the game againā€¦

Sometimes the game settings file can also get messed up - try deleting the le_graphicsmanager.ini file (and the .bak) - the game should then recreate a new default settings fileā€¦ its worth a tryā€¦

Is your GPU overclocked?

One additional question - you dont describe what you are doing in the game when the crashes happenā€¦ Are you doing something specific that causes the crash? Are you loading into a new area or map? Does it crash when you use a specific skill? Does it happen with a specific character you have created or ANY / NEW ones too?

gpu is not overclocked
game is new and crashed just after purchase with this error on start menu then it crashed on loading screen and then it crashed during gameplay roaming the map
i tried deleting files and it crashed again
there are no gpu overdrives or special 3d profiles i always keep them at default
windows up to date
i donā€™t know how to fix the errors with the Gaming service via Windows Store
i have not yet tried the standalone version but using steam should not give this error
i can play for 5-10 minutes before crashing

I used to have no problems with this game just a few months ago. I decided to try it again recently and got this unity crash error all over the place. Most of time it is before even the game loaded. A white box with Unity 2019.4.3 error whatever. Even if by some miracle the game loaded properly it crashed immidiately when i select a character and push play button. I cannot pass this point no matter what i do. I reinstalled the game , i removed the old nvidia drivers and installed the most recent one , i did integrity check , installed dxdiag again - it still crashes. Don`t have any problems with other games through steam or otherwise. I really hope someone can find a viable solution to this problem.

p.s excuse my poor english it is not my first lang :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.