Unexpected behavior with interactions between 3 nodes in Bone Curse

The nodes in question are Cursed Limbs, Crimson Enlightenment, and Illusion of Pain (although Acute Infliction likely has the same issue).

Crimson Enlightenment works as expected when the player only has Illusion of Pain (or AI), when the hit count is depleted, Bone Curse ends and Rip Blood is cast. When Cursed Limbs is thrown into the mix it acquires some odd behavior if the player is the one hitting the target.

Minions that strike the cursed target deplete the hit count and trigger Rip Blood to cast as expected.
The player has to hit anywhere between 4-6 times to trigger the cast while Cursed Limbs is in effect, or sometimes it doesn’t trigger at all until Cursed Limbs runs out. It’s even more noticeable when AoEing groups as most of the time you get no Rip Blood triggers and sometimes you get several.

Cursed Limbs seems to be causing the players hits to randomly refresh the duration of bone curse without depleting the hit counter first (on a per-target basis) and ending it.

That’s not a bug, Cursed Limbs means that all of your hits reset the timer on Bone Curse hence you need to wait till Cursed Limbs ends before you can wait out the timer on Bone Curse for Rip Blood to then be cast.

Because minions don’t benefit from Cursed Limbs their one hit consumes Bone Curse & proc’s Rip Blood.

However, this is not how Crimson Englightenment / Illusion of Pain used to work in 0.7.9. Prior to 0.7.10 Crimson Enlightenment would only cast a Rip Blood if Bone Curse timed out rather than if all of it’s hits were consumed. If this is the new intended behaviour then it’s a massive buff for Bone Curse/Rip Blood since you would be able to curse the target, then hit it which would proc a Rip Blood which would then curse everything within range, then your next hit would consume the Bone Curse which then causes it to cast Rip Blood & everything in range then gets hit by the Rip Blood which consumes their Bone Curse casting Rip Blood, etc.

I’d imagine that it would cause cascades of Rip Blood if there was enough mob density.

Like I said, sometimes you do get that cascade, sometimes not, it’s inconsistent. I’ve had 2 enemies bounce it back and forth, I’ve had packs get vaporized by rip blood procs (though technically the damage is all from the critical bone curse hits), and I’ve had nothing happen too.

It’s especially noticeable with packs of enemies that leap at you, often it will chain while they’re mid-air but nothing if they’re on the ground.

It’s confusing. There is a bug somewhere in this.

I think the chaining is a tad absurd though. Probably needs to be made so the Rip Blood proc can only occur once per second per target or something.

I’ll record a clip of it in a bit.

Oh, also, as demonstrated here, the applications from Cursed Limbs don’t last for the whole 5s when this occurs. Technically Harton should have died to chains on the first use but it quit about 1.5-2 seconds after starting the chain.

Yeah, it should behave consistently but IMO, the bug is that rip blood is cast when bone curse is consumed by a hit rather than due to the duration expiring which is how it worked in 0.7.9.

I think I remember the devs saying it should only proc rip blood when the duration runs out.

I hope it doesn’t only proc when duration runs out, that’s an awful design, letting it proc from hits is pretty great, but maybe tone down the chaining so it can’t essentially go infinite. But being able to throw bone curse on a group, rip blood them, and have a big cascading nuke mess everything up is pretty cool.

If Crimson Enlightenment procs on Bone Curse being consumed that is too powerful since it would double or triple the number of procs of both Bone Curse & Rip Blood. It is already very powerful even without that.
@Hackaloken @EHG_Justin

Maybe, but it simply only throwing rip bloods after the duration expires with what an 8 second base duration… that’s so pointless, if things are still alive after 8 seconds and grouped up I’ve seriously failed. Maybe it does reduced damage on chains or procs or something but the it procs off consumed attacks is good gameplay even if the numbers need some tweaking to make it balanced.

I know.

They’d have to make the proc’d Rip Bloods not apply Bone Curse, would be one way to fix the problem (rather than nerfing either skill).

Thanks for the report! I haven’t been able to reproduce this issue unfortunately, even with the same Bone Curse tree. Is this a very rare occurrence? I did try for some time.

Once I can see the problem happen for myself I can work on isolating the issue. Given how many variables there are, I think the most helpful thing would be for you to upload your save file so I can try it locally.

You can just attach your Saves folder as a .zip (located in the same place as your log file) and tell me the name of the character - I can find it.

Thanks!

Having just tested it again with the Cursed Limbs, Crimson Englightenment & Illusion of Pain nodes casting Bone Curse not on a mob then attacking a mob (for Cursed Limbs to apply the Curse), I can’t see Rip Blood Proc anymore. Maybe I was confused with the double Splatter on Rip Blood.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.