Unable to enter game during character select

Hi Devs,

I’ve run into an issue after returning to play the game. I am unable to log into any character new or old. I’ve looked into every forum post I could find regarding this issue and followed what steps I could. I’ve updated my drivers, verified local files, isolated the game as much as possible from other applications and the game continues to hang. The Windows Event Viewer logs show no information other than the application has hung and was closed. I’ve attached every file that should be relevant according to the posts I’ve viewed. Please let me know if more files are needed.

Thanks in advance.

Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta.txt (4.4 KB)
le_graphicsmanager.ini (475 Bytes)
Player-prev.log (9.3 KB)
Player.log (9.3 KB)
output_log.txt (19.9 KB)

Hi,

Welcome to the forums…

At a quick glance, your player.log & player-prev.log are not showing any specific errors but its obvious the game is hanging just after it tries to initialise. There are no indicators of savegame issues or anything that is usually an indicator of something not working when someone returns to the game after missing a few patches/long time…

Looking at your le_graphicsmanager.ini shows that you are trying to run the game on Ultra settings and from the player.log I can see you are only using a 1070Ti GPU. Based on the beta state of the game & the known fact that its unoptimised and has performance issues I wouldnt recommend running Ultra for anything less than a 30 series GPU (or at least 2080 level). I realise that your 1070 ti is close to a 3060 in performance (theoretically at least), but I still wouldnt recommended it purely for stability reasons - especially if all special graphics features are also maxed out.

So… As your logs are not showing any other indicators, AND you have said you have updated drivers (assuming CLEAN install - very important) and verified the game files, then the only logical guess is that you are experiencing the performance related instability… The only other possibility is that you could be running some other application that is affecting the Unity game engine directly (things like citrix/teamviewer etc) or indirectly (e.g. failed or outstanding Windows patches).

I recommend the following:

1. Reboot your machine to ensure a “clean slate” without any hung processes etc or issues.

2. With the game not running - delete the le_graphicsmanager.ini file to reset the system to the default Medium quality settings - a new settings file will be created on next run.

3. Start Steam & Run the Steam Game file verification.

4. Disable Steam Overlays for LE.

5. Do not run ANY other applications while testing LE… doesnt matter how irrelevant you think that they might be… just temporarily dont run them.

6. Attempt to start the game now…

If the game runs, then its more than likely a performance issue and you simply need to be conservative with your in-game settings vs the state of the game & your hardware.

If the game still does not run, then please include the new player.log (these cycle on each session so its important to copy them immediately after a problem,)… AND include the output of a dxdiag report (info on your hardware, drivers & system diagnostics).

Hi Vapourfire,

Thank your the quick reply. I’m surprised that it could be a performance related issue as I previous dropped the settings to medium brought up my system diagnostic tools and recreated error only to observe no spikes in GPU/CPU or harddrive. That said, after restarting my machine and deleting the ini file you suggested, I was able to log back into my characters.

Thanks again for your assistance.

1 Like

I have found that its less about about CPU/GPU usage during these moments - its more something to do with how the game is loading in the higher quality textures and the interaction between the CPU offloading to the GPU during these “transition periods” when the game starts or unloads & loads a new map while playing… The other special features like shadows, reflections etc all seem to complicate the issue too.

Deleteing the ini, basically forces the game to defaults and this would have reset the special features to lower than Ultra quality too… I have found that manually changing the default quality option drop down, doesnt always change the special features so there could have been other settings that exacerbated the issue when you tried Medium.

Glad its working…

The devs have committed to performance updates in their latest dev posts about the next patch in Sept (ish) so I am hoping things like this will become a thing of the past - generally performance related instability is imho, the most frequent cause of problems for new players right now…

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.