This game will fail if they don't change the GB/CA meta

hmmm the way i see it, ca is for none ward bds that r afraid of getting one shotted
with super high ward, why would u want ca??? it’s not worth the 3 slots
although, with limited ward, people might want to grab it for extra protection i guess…

you want CA on high ward for consistancy and because you can stack both CA and dodge, so you have nothing else to put on suffixes.

i’m making a all-out defense ward build, this fits perfectly on that build
wanna go pro now! hahahaha

Just because some people don’t share your opinion doesn’t make them “defenders” or white knights. That’s the point os a discussion, to compare & contrast different points of view so that the devs can make more informed decisions on what they want to do with their game.

Fair enough, given I’m too lazy to scroll back up & check, have you given reasons why & what you think it could be replaced with (a link would be fine, you don’t need to type it all out again).

This is true, but the devs need good logical arguments covering a range of points, aesthetics, numbers, mechanics as well as options. Not just “it sucks & you’re an idiot for not agreeing with me” (which some people have gone with).

Edit: White Knighting for the sake of “it wasn’t invented here therefore it’s bad & change is bad” is also not overly helpful.

Besides, everyone knows the best thing for the game would be to an an MTX/skin/whatever that changes the Primalist’s wolves into giant ants and the bear/sabertooth into a giant snail.

1 Like

This is not 100% true. If a lot of people say it’s crap with no further reason mentioned it’s still feedback. Some people can’t pinpoint their problems with a mechanic as well as others. This topic seems to be frustrating at least because it pops up again and again.
Personaly I still think GB is dead weight because it’s almost mandatory and feels bad to use because of this. Sure I build it because it’s a great tool against taken dmg then again it always feels bad to waste slots on it.

Maybe there could be another poll for Pro GB (leave the mechanic like it is), Contra GB (remove it completely) and Pro GB (but rework it), like the devs did in this thread…

Even though it’s interesting to read different opinions for pro and contra i think this thread here got a little bit out of hand, don’t you think?

1 Like

I know what you mean, but a load of people saying something is crap isn’t as useful as saying it’s crap because the damage is too low or the cooldown is too high or the skill just looks crap.

That’s correct but if a lot of people say “mechanic X is crap!” you simply need to investigate no matter what and it looks like most people think GD is a useless stat because it’s mandatory and you are almost forced (with some exeprions that work without it) to use it. It’s always bad to have mechanics ingame that are a must have and reduce the freedom of players. So I still think “It’s crap because… reasons!!!11” is valid yet not informative.

I agree, it’s valid, but not particularly helpful.

Ok, So I may have been overacting bit on the whole GB/CA meta. I don’t think the game will fail, but it will suffer with this meta. GB right now is mandatory. So there is one stat on your 4 stat gear that has to be used. So that leaves you with 3, then you have to get your resists up. So that will most likely leave you with 2 to 1 slots left for your stat you want to go. Well most set pieces/ Uniques don’t have either of the stats, so you pretty much can’t use them. So that make most Uniques and set pieces not usable,. What I think needs to be done, is allow more than just 4 fixs’ on items, (maybe lower what you get for stats on them to balance out the whole more fixs’ on them) or Just make GB/CA/Some type of resist automacticlly roll on those pieces. You have so many stats we can play with, yet with 4 fixs’ on gear, and 2/3 pretty much mando, that leaves us with no really different stats to play with. I know it beta, lets just not try to go down, the the complete path GD did at first, where at end game, you had to have MAX Resist and over 10k HP, and it didn’t get you a lot of gear choices, until they started putting some of those required stats, on the set items and legendaries.

Hello,
I think it’s an important topic and I find some interesting argument from both “side”.
What is interesting is to get a reflexion on which affix we want and how many slot we’ve got.
This allow to create fun build and diversity, by doing defense or offense by plenty of different way, like skill tree or passive or affix (with specific affix to some item like idol).

GB is actually so good that you have to take it, so 4 slot. I think that it’s acceptable, like resist in other game. It is not fun, but it is a good way to balance the number of slot. I understand the mecanism.
As well, it’is mandatory to get some level of protections aprt from hight ward build.

Some ward/protection build exist and are very good (sentinel and spell blade) with idol.
This is interestong, far more than GB.

I think that GB work fine and is undrstandable as is it. But I don’t find it interesting.
I would prefer to make other option, and mix of option more interesting. Removing GB, wil allow slot to get mix of other affix. So you will be able to get more protection with diminush return, but if you’re build is based on it, why not. Or you will be able to get some ward, or dadge, or something else…

The necessity of GB come from the one shot problem. If the range of damage was less wild, GB could be removed. In the current state, I don’t think, it is a good idea.
I would reaaly like to remove it, and not fear one shot except from scripted skill.

Its not mandatory, you can easily craft a piece without it :slight_smile: You chose to put it on because you know/think you will push further into endgame with it! what would you put in a 4 prefix slots if you didnt chose GB? Hope its not something else defensive…

Hold on why we complaining so much about GB when its only 1 slot on four items when this sentence says you gotta use 2 slots on ALL pieces for resist defense??

Pretty sure every build i use has at LEAST 1 unique or set piece on it (and the devs want crafted items to be better than a whole set of uniques being BIS)

Hold up this is a double negative

Im not against you at all and i appreciate this post as its got a lot of people thinking and
i will agree i do feel like when it comes to gear it feels like were always gear more defensively than offensively which can be boring and repeatative, i think we should all just wait and see what else gets added to the game. Idols really added to the offensive part of the game(defense to if you want it for that) who knows what sockets/legendaries will do!

To break it down… with a 1h/shield there are 11 slots… thats 44 affixes. You only need 4 to get 100% GB. 22 suffixes which will almost always be used for resist/dodge/hp/maybe CA if you want it. 4 Prefix for 50% DR or 22 Suffix for (if your lucky) 75% DR. I mean… where does the problem really lay…

4 Prefix… yeah when I only calculate the best possible outcome there is no problem with anything. Just think about new People for a second. Or people who don’t have all crafting mats because they didn’t farmed since ages ^^.

I just don’t get the philosophy behind GB. When it comes to protections they said they want a different approach then again we got a “mandatory” % dmg reduction we need to cap. Wasn’t this something they tried to avoid? Using their own words? ^^

The most popular spots for Set GB is gloves/boots/belt/helm. Since these dont take away from jewerly spots that can use SET affixes. What would you put in the prefix slot on these 4 items slots instead if they were opened up because GB was removed? I already know i’d be putting vitality there so my protections are higher and i can push further… Is the problem really GB?

EDIT: we can use all 22 suffix slots on resist and not hit a cap because there isnt one, if they added a cap, say 75% and its take all 22 slots to get it, would this now be considered mandatory? capped or not we still try and get as much resistance as possible through gear/passives/ and skills, becuase there is no limit, Isnt this the real problem? Imagine having 22 more suffix slots for all that offense everyone wants :slight_smile:

I would probably argue that GB appears mandatory because it’s so much more effective/powerful than any other affix. I don’t think you’d get 50% damage reduction (dots notwithstanding) for just 4 t5 affix slots.

If you flip things round & DPS affixes are dominant/required (I’m thinking of D3), certain amounts of DPS affixes (crit chance & crit multi) are mandatory because they give the most bang for the buck to get you as far as possible.

As theorycrafting gets more mature, things like this will crop up. Certain numbers of specific affixes will be deemed mandatory (for certain builds) as they give they the most benefit for the limited resource we have (affix slots). Glancing Blow is the low hanging fruit because it’s so useful to all builds.

4 T5 Prefix Set Elemental will give you more than 50% DR (IncludingDotsExcludingArmorVoidPOisNecro)

But my point of this whole thing was… What are you really going to do with those 4 slots…

(Spoiler Below)

Defense… Myabe on gloves/belt add damage but almost an unnoticable amount. I just dont understand why its got so many so upset. Im way more upset and frustrated trying to balance 6 different armour and protections to 70% DR + in only 22 suffix slots.

1 Like

You’re preaching to the choir…

Kind of sounds like you answered your own question here. What could possibly be better to use in those 4 prefix slots other than GB? Currently there is nothing.

I’d personally only be worried about GB if it becomes a stat the dev’s balance damage around because everyone is supposed to have it. But if everyone has it, then why would we need it? And if it’s not a stat we need, then maybe there should be prefixes that can compete with it (which seems more to your original point). You also mention the bigger picture, which we can’t see yet. Maybe the implementation of all these mechanics we have now will be more clear to us after everything is implemented. If this is the case, then patience will be key.

Hopefully you do realize that the base game is already added. They won’t be adding more stats to compete with GB/CA. Honestly, this game has a stat issue badly. And it is what will hurt the game. It’s obvious by the amount of comments on this post that it is an issue with players. I’m not sure why they think they need to redevelop base ARPG mechanics. I’ve seen white mobs in this game hit harder and have more hp than rare mobs which completely ruins the flow of a game. Then you have builds where if you dont use ward/ca/gb, you cant get pass wave 100+. Or how about how HP stacking is pretty much useless in this game. HP in general is useless in this game. No ways to get mana back other than regen? Just really weird choices to make your game different.

This. Right now there are even builds that don’t need GB and they come even further ahead of builds that ALWAYS NEED 100% GB because if they don’t use it they’ll die. There could be a much more intresting stat there and GB could simply be gone for good a could be a rogue mechanic because it makes sense for a dodgy sterotype class. As I said in another thread or even this thread I realy want to see people who play Werebear or Void Knight for example with and without 100% GB to see the difference and the need to have this stat maxed at all times.

The devs stated they don’t want % cap protections because it’ll be mandatory and makes building gear a bigger problem because you always need to stack enough protection to reach the cap. No we have a madatory stat we need to max on classes to reach a said protection value. I’ll go so far to call it mandatory on most classes even when there are ways arround it but it suffers from the same mechanic because you need X ammount of GB like you need X ammount of resistences in other games… what the devs wanted to avoid. This is simply the direct opposit of their idea from the beginning.