This game will fail if they don't change the GB/CA meta

Ok, So I may have been overacting bit on the whole GB/CA meta. I don’t think the game will fail, but it will suffer with this meta. GB right now is mandatory. So there is one stat on your 4 stat gear that has to be used. So that leaves you with 3, then you have to get your resists up. So that will most likely leave you with 2 to 1 slots left for your stat you want to go. Well most set pieces/ Uniques don’t have either of the stats, so you pretty much can’t use them. So that make most Uniques and set pieces not usable,. What I think needs to be done, is allow more than just 4 fixs’ on items, (maybe lower what you get for stats on them to balance out the whole more fixs’ on them) or Just make GB/CA/Some type of resist automacticlly roll on those pieces. You have so many stats we can play with, yet with 4 fixs’ on gear, and 2/3 pretty much mando, that leaves us with no really different stats to play with. I know it beta, lets just not try to go down, the the complete path GD did at first, where at end game, you had to have MAX Resist and over 10k HP, and it didn’t get you a lot of gear choices, until they started putting some of those required stats, on the set items and legendaries.

Hello,
I think it’s an important topic and I find some interesting argument from both “side”.
What is interesting is to get a reflexion on which affix we want and how many slot we’ve got.
This allow to create fun build and diversity, by doing defense or offense by plenty of different way, like skill tree or passive or affix (with specific affix to some item like idol).

GB is actually so good that you have to take it, so 4 slot. I think that it’s acceptable, like resist in other game. It is not fun, but it is a good way to balance the number of slot. I understand the mecanism.
As well, it’is mandatory to get some level of protections aprt from hight ward build.

Some ward/protection build exist and are very good (sentinel and spell blade) with idol.
This is interestong, far more than GB.

I think that GB work fine and is undrstandable as is it. But I don’t find it interesting.
I would prefer to make other option, and mix of option more interesting. Removing GB, wil allow slot to get mix of other affix. So you will be able to get more protection with diminush return, but if you’re build is based on it, why not. Or you will be able to get some ward, or dadge, or something else…

The necessity of GB come from the one shot problem. If the range of damage was less wild, GB could be removed. In the current state, I don’t think, it is a good idea.
I would reaaly like to remove it, and not fear one shot except from scripted skill.

Its not mandatory, you can easily craft a piece without it :slight_smile: You chose to put it on because you know/think you will push further into endgame with it! what would you put in a 4 prefix slots if you didnt chose GB? Hope its not something else defensive…

Hold on why we complaining so much about GB when its only 1 slot on four items when this sentence says you gotta use 2 slots on ALL pieces for resist defense??

Pretty sure every build i use has at LEAST 1 unique or set piece on it (and the devs want crafted items to be better than a whole set of uniques being BIS)

Hold up this is a double negative

Im not against you at all and i appreciate this post as its got a lot of people thinking and
i will agree i do feel like when it comes to gear it feels like were always gear more defensively than offensively which can be boring and repeatative, i think we should all just wait and see what else gets added to the game. Idols really added to the offensive part of the game(defense to if you want it for that) who knows what sockets/legendaries will do!

To break it down… with a 1h/shield there are 11 slots… thats 44 affixes. You only need 4 to get 100% GB. 22 suffixes which will almost always be used for resist/dodge/hp/maybe CA if you want it. 4 Prefix for 50% DR or 22 Suffix for (if your lucky) 75% DR. I mean… where does the problem really lay…

4 Prefix… yeah when I only calculate the best possible outcome there is no problem with anything. Just think about new People for a second. Or people who don’t have all crafting mats because they didn’t farmed since ages ^^.

I just don’t get the philosophy behind GB. When it comes to protections they said they want a different approach then again we got a “mandatory” % dmg reduction we need to cap. Wasn’t this something they tried to avoid? Using their own words? ^^

The most popular spots for Set GB is gloves/boots/belt/helm. Since these dont take away from jewerly spots that can use SET affixes. What would you put in the prefix slot on these 4 items slots instead if they were opened up because GB was removed? I already know i’d be putting vitality there so my protections are higher and i can push further… Is the problem really GB?

EDIT: we can use all 22 suffix slots on resist and not hit a cap because there isnt one, if they added a cap, say 75% and its take all 22 slots to get it, would this now be considered mandatory? capped or not we still try and get as much resistance as possible through gear/passives/ and skills, becuase there is no limit, Isnt this the real problem? Imagine having 22 more suffix slots for all that offense everyone wants :slight_smile:

I would probably argue that GB appears mandatory because it’s so much more effective/powerful than any other affix. I don’t think you’d get 50% damage reduction (dots notwithstanding) for just 4 t5 affix slots.

If you flip things round & DPS affixes are dominant/required (I’m thinking of D3), certain amounts of DPS affixes (crit chance & crit multi) are mandatory because they give the most bang for the buck to get you as far as possible.

As theorycrafting gets more mature, things like this will crop up. Certain numbers of specific affixes will be deemed mandatory (for certain builds) as they give they the most benefit for the limited resource we have (affix slots). Glancing Blow is the low hanging fruit because it’s so useful to all builds.

4 T5 Prefix Set Elemental will give you more than 50% DR (IncludingDotsExcludingArmorVoidPOisNecro)

But my point of this whole thing was… What are you really going to do with those 4 slots…

(Spoiler Below)

Defense… Myabe on gloves/belt add damage but almost an unnoticable amount. I just dont understand why its got so many so upset. Im way more upset and frustrated trying to balance 6 different armour and protections to 70% DR + in only 22 suffix slots.

1 Like

You’re preaching to the choir…

Kind of sounds like you answered your own question here. What could possibly be better to use in those 4 prefix slots other than GB? Currently there is nothing.

I’d personally only be worried about GB if it becomes a stat the dev’s balance damage around because everyone is supposed to have it. But if everyone has it, then why would we need it? And if it’s not a stat we need, then maybe there should be prefixes that can compete with it (which seems more to your original point). You also mention the bigger picture, which we can’t see yet. Maybe the implementation of all these mechanics we have now will be more clear to us after everything is implemented. If this is the case, then patience will be key.

Hopefully you do realize that the base game is already added. They won’t be adding more stats to compete with GB/CA. Honestly, this game has a stat issue badly. And it is what will hurt the game. It’s obvious by the amount of comments on this post that it is an issue with players. I’m not sure why they think they need to redevelop base ARPG mechanics. I’ve seen white mobs in this game hit harder and have more hp than rare mobs which completely ruins the flow of a game. Then you have builds where if you dont use ward/ca/gb, you cant get pass wave 100+. Or how about how HP stacking is pretty much useless in this game. HP in general is useless in this game. No ways to get mana back other than regen? Just really weird choices to make your game different.

This. Right now there are even builds that don’t need GB and they come even further ahead of builds that ALWAYS NEED 100% GB because if they don’t use it they’ll die. There could be a much more intresting stat there and GB could simply be gone for good a could be a rogue mechanic because it makes sense for a dodgy sterotype class. As I said in another thread or even this thread I realy want to see people who play Werebear or Void Knight for example with and without 100% GB to see the difference and the need to have this stat maxed at all times.

The devs stated they don’t want % cap protections because it’ll be mandatory and makes building gear a bigger problem because you always need to stack enough protection to reach the cap. No we have a madatory stat we need to max on classes to reach a said protection value. I’ll go so far to call it mandatory on most classes even when there are ways arround it but it suffers from the same mechanic because you need X ammount of GB like you need X ammount of resistences in other games… what the devs wanted to avoid. This is simply the direct opposit of their idea from the beginning.

Would you please explain why you think so? A char with 100 hp and 100 (all) protections (50% damage mitigation) has the exact same survivability as a character with 200 hp and 0 (all) protections (0% mitigation). The first will take 50 damage from a hit that deals 100 damage. The second will take double the damage compared to the first. But both have 50% of their hp left and will die with the next 100 damage hit. No difference. Protections and hp are equally important.

“Mandatory” seems to be the new synonym for “bad”. All other protections are mandatory as well in LE not just in other games. Without any protections you can cap GB/CA/Dodge/Block, but you won’t come very far (except ward builds).

When you do a ward build the mandatory passives are ward retention and the mandatory stat is int.

When I wanna make a crit build it’s mandatory to take all crit notes on a skill and craft +critchance and multiplier on gear.

And when you want to survive you have to stack hp+protections.

Wanna do damage? Use a weapon. Stack damage. Mandatory.

This posts sums it up for me:

3 Likes

Yeah your nitpicking still don’t change anything about it ^^. The devs said they don’t want to use the good old % resistence stuff and try something new because it is to restricting if you want to change your gear. Now we have a % dmg reduction that is restricting in the same way. Sure sooner or later it’s only 4 slots needed but it’s simply bad by design from my point of view.

I think that if they did remove Glancing Blow, something else would become the new mandatory, that’s what metas are & they will always develop when some elements of the community wants to get the most effect out of their character.

So we know for a fact more types of ruins/shards are coming, what happens when one comes that competes with GB? I.E. 4 prefix slots gives 100% GB for 50% DR or 4 Prefix slots for 25 ward a second per item with this affix… I mean would you take 400 ward/s or 100%GB as a necro/lich/spellblade/sorcerer?? I stand by i think we should wait to see everything there is to offer before askign to remove 1 from the game…

1 Like

Thank god I am no game developer. When a game copies the mechanics of another game there come people “Meh, y copy crappy mechanic, boring, lazy!11”. When devs implemented new mechanics there come people “Meh, y reinvent the wheel? Game X does this, game Y does this. Y not do the same?!11”.

You just can’t make it right :sweat:

4 Likes

Yea, I don’t get the people saying to just do what every other ARPG has done. What would be the point in playing if it was just a carbon copy? I like the different systems. I just want GB and CA to be brought into line with the rest of protections/health/ward/dodge when it comes to scaling. I don’t think anything should have a static cap, let alone one at 100%.

Welcome to people.

How about, if Glancing Blow/Crit Avoidance gave increasing effect rather than increasing chance? That way you could have the maths such that 100% effect (ie, 50% damage taken for for glancing blow & 0% extra damage taken from crits) is difficult to obtain or you have to sacrifice a lot of affix slots to get it.

And here we go again :slight_smile:
Regularity of creating such topics proves that LE has real problems with its defense attributes. No matter which exactly!

• Ward is to strong.
  • Glancing blows are mandatory.
  • Critical avoidance is very specific.
  • Dodge is unreliable.
  • Protections… well, it’s pretty OK but why do we need this attribute with all above?
  • HP regeneration… Do all agree it’s nonexistent?

I wrote it before and can only repeat myself: those layers must be complementary with each other - not mutually exclusive, AND all those layers should gave a bit different roles.
Here, some examples, like I see it in general …

1. Maximum HP: Almost the same here - just increasing max HP. Buuuut… all other defenses reduces incoming damage which means that your recovery becomes more effective. So, lets give a character passive regeneration - 5% of max / second. Not 10 HP / sec, but 5%. It will guarantee that every character with any maximum HP will be fully recovered in 20 seconds. Also Max HP becomes a real defense layer, not just some number, protecting you from one-shots.

2. HP regeneration: well, because of previous change this one becomes more effective. Obviously any bonuses to regeneration should be greater than a benefit from increasing maximum HP. Anyway, +100% to regeneration makes your character able to recover in 10 seconds instead of 20.

3. Ward: Make retention constant ~15%, unaffected by INT, much lesser bonuses from any passives and nodes, some effect from uniques. INT should increase Ward-gain - not retention. It allows to grant ward to non-INT-characters - new buff mechanics. Ward gain should be less but ward should not decrease damage reduction from protections. No Lots-of-K-s ward anymore - just some HP-above-cap generation mechanics.

4. Dodge / Glancing blow: hm… how about uniting these mechanics ? And I’ve got a better idea then previous one - much simpler :slight_smile: . Every 1 dodge decreases chance to be hit by 1% and reduces damage received from direct hits by 1%. Normally expected max. amount equals 30-35% which means that overall incoming damage will be reduces by 51-58%. Every 5 points of dexterity increases dodge by 2%.

5. Critical avoidance -> Resilience: Reduces all taken damage over time and critical damage. I mean, why should we be able to get critical immunity? Damage reduction - yes, critical chance reduction - no. Against DoTs we currently have protections and really bad regeneration, so I think it would be a nice layer of defense. Reduction formula should be similar to current dodge with the cap near 70% I guess.

6. Protections / Armor: well, they are pretty OK, I think. But the fact its effectiveness lowers with HP growth… ehm… I don’t know :slight_smile: … How about to increase their effectiveness with every lost HP ? You have 100 health and 100 protection? - good, because all incoming damage decreases by 50%. But with 400 health damage reduction equals 20%. Why not increase it to 50% when health drops to 100 ?

P.S. Sorry for this wall. I was hoping I could be shorter this time :blush:

2 Likes

Because builds that effectivly loose health will be immortal at a certain point? I think everything else is good feedback.