The Issue With Bows (Rare Ones)

So, I realize this is long and fixing the problem I present is neither easy nor quick, but I wanted to mention it so that maybe the devs will see it and keep it in mind. I mean this to be purely constructive, as I love this game, and I think this is something that probably needs to be addressed at some point for it to be the best it can be.

Marksman flexibility in a bad spot right now, especially in terms of rare bows. It feels very pidgeonholed into uniques because there are 3 ‘good’ bow builds (as in notably better than the rest, Rain of Arrows, Flurry+Multishot, Detonating Arrow) and here’s why:

Issue number 1: Bleed. Bleed, as a mechanic, is weaker than poison (at least for marksman especially) due to the nature of dots scaling best off attacking as fast as possible and poison reducing resistance with each hit. %increased phys is not enough to help with that. Add in the fact that Acidfletch exists, and all of a sudden Rain of Arrows poison blows any bleed build out of the water. Even if you say “Well its only for rain of arrows” take a look at the arena ladder and tell me what skills you see. ROA, Multishot-flurry, and maybe a detonating arrow or two. This is because even if you want to use bleed or poison on another skill, while flurry could probably keep up (or maybe even exceed, but I doubt it) with the single target dps of Rain of Arrow Acidfletch on a boss with poison, you have no clear skill because if you go all in on poison damage Multishot won’t proc enough and will do minimal on hit damage. Plus, you will want to be able to attack for as long as possible to get stacks up, which you can’t do. Ok, use puncture to clear. Good luck, you need them to line up perfectly, or take the ‘mirage’ perk which raises mana cost by so much it is quite literally never worth it. Add in the fact that even if you somehow managed the mana cost, your clear would be faster with rain of arrows Acidfletch by far. Anyone playing multishot using puncture for mana management knows what I am talking about for the clear issue. Detonating arrow and Cinder shot are awful for bleed/poison, and I have yet to see a good endgame build with cindershot ignite.

Thus, there is never any point in choosing bleed over poison, and if you are going poison, there is never any point to not going Acidfletch RoA, other than to say that you did.

Rare bows, hypothetically should have the advantage of flexibility. Sure, you lose out on flat damage, but you also lose out on your bleed/poison/slow/armor shred suffixes and the damage boosting prefixes for bleed/poison too. Armor shred is thrown at you by your passives, and slow can be sourced by specializations and almost any other slot, making that argument pointless. And the other two are rendered moot by the point about acid fletch above.

Issue Number 2: Flurry Multi-shot, which is probably the most popular build for generic monolith runs since it has (disputably) the best balance of clear and bossing capabilities for Marksman.

Unfortunately, it is indisputable for this build that rare bows are just a placeholder until you get the unique bow (Drelkor’s Compass), because the best way to scale it to be comparable to other classes’ endgame build options (and the reason this build is so popular) is by scaling ‘Damage per Arrow’, and it gives 4 additional arrows. If you push this build to have t5 damage per arrow on chest and helmet, that’s 25*4 = 100% increased damage. Add in the fact that you can quite achievably get 4 idols with 6% damage per arrow each and that’s another free 96% increased damage.

That 196% free increased damage is on top of the 50 flat damage which is by far the most you can get on any bow out there, period. Also, it is the ONLY SOURCE of flat Minus Mana Cost for bow builds. Spell builds and throwing builds have it as an affix shard. At 21 mana per second, you better believe that is a massive boost.

Alright, now let’s talk about the most damning thing for flexibility. If you want conversion, your only two options are Detonating arrow, and Cindershot. Cindershot is bad for a variety of reasons, but detonating arrow can be really good so lets focus on that. Currently, the reason flat phys on Drelkor’s Compass for Multishot is so important, is that there is no way to scale two flat damage crafts on a bow at the same time with one mod. 110 is the highest total possible flat damage on any bow out there, for reference, 19 is the cap for t5 crafts. Even if you put two t5 flat damage crafts on a bow, that’s 38, and they aren’t scaling both off one damage type, so you have to convert it, making detonating arrow your only option if you want high dps. This is the only build that a rare is actually useful rather than a second-rate option. Even then, if I were to make a detonating arrow build, I would take advantage conversion specialization node and Reign of Winter to get waaaaay more flat cold damage than a rare bow can ever give you (along with some pen and a cast on hit effect). Barring that, I would take advantage of the dual scaling dex stacking on skills and Mourningfrost to scale up the damage on detonating arrow. That’s just me though.

Now there are a lot of ways to scale damage, and this is very important, I do not think the unique bows are overpowered, they are the only thing that lets marksman get on the arena ladder at all right now outside of the one person I saw run to wave 400 with detonating arrow, and they are keeping their respective builds relevant compared to other class’s builds. Rather, because of a combination of lack of options for conversion skills, only having ‘bow’ affixes available, whereas melee has stuff like ‘sword, axe, one handed sword, one handed melee, generic melee, etc……’ gives them very little flexibility, and combined with the ways to best scale marksman’s skill makes that a very rough hurdle to overcome.

If you read all the way here, thank you, and thank you to the devs for making such a great game!

2 Likes

I just wanted to a add a few things that don’t necessarily disagree with anything you’ve said, but a couple of your points are actually more general problems than bow builds:

1. Poison being better than bleed or ignite in most circumstances is a problem of poison’s stacking debuff on the enemy. Poison having a secondary effect with bleed/ignite having no secondary has been true since time immemorial in LE, and poison being better than the other two has been a problem for the same amount of time. I do hope this is changed at some point.

2. Cinder Strike underperforms right now in all environments. We sort of showcased this with a Bladedancer tournament recently where Cinder Strike was a required skill. Our arena pushes were much much weaker than with comparable skills and with other tourneys. I believe I took second with 188 waves, and first place was Lizard_IRL with a bit over 200. Compare this to our tourney last week where I believe 5+ people were well over 200 and the winner had something like 500 waves, and you can see that Cinder Strike just isn’t performing very well right now.

1 Like

Lots of points i can agree with. But i also don’t see the issue within rare Bows as you mentioned in the title.
The reason why DA, Multishot & HoA builds are the main builds in arena is more a mechanical thing, simply the fact how Ailments currently work and how insane those skills scale with Flat dmg.
So you have passives like Sniper’s Gambit giving you 30 Flat Phy dmg by only investing 6 Points and Elemental Arrows (32 Flat Fire+Lightning dmg/8 points). Then you have Detonating Arrow converting Phys dmg to Lightning/Fire/Cold with those insane flat dmg buffs with a 150% dmg effectiveness. Same goes for HoA. 300% effectiveness, but the ailment mechanic (poison/bleed) conversions are not the reason why these dmg types work. It’s again the flat dmg scaling. And for Multishot…well insane Crit Chance, Attack Speed, Off screen dmg, Stun chance…you name it, scaled with flat dmg.
Ailment builds for Marksman are basically just a bad Crit version from a playstyle perspective. Why? When i think about Ailment builds (so basically a DoT build) i usually imagine a kiting playstyle. With how Ailments are currently working, non tanky Classes like Marksman that rely on dodge, distance to the enemies and movement speed, the worst thing that can happen to you is standing still and attacking the enemies forever until you finally reach a good amount of ailment stacks to deal dmg. With DA, Multishot or HoA this can easily be performed with one Hit (Crit or the heavy DoT on HoA) only in a short amount of time, which easily makes it possible for you again to change your position. This is simply mechanically not possible with the current numbers for skills like Puncture, Poison Detonating Arrow, Ignite Cinder Strike etc.
I’m not saying i don’t like the mechanical approach on how Ailments work in LE. I love playing ailment builds, and i try to make them interesting for other players to play a little bit offmeta. But yes, when someone asks me to push Arena, i just simply switch to my Multishot or DA build. This is kinda sad, because Bow characters fit so well in this ‘‘Kiting-always moving-theme’’ and the amount of ailment support Marksman actually has in its passive tree, its a shame that the Crit/Flat dmg mechanic simply outperforms every ailment version for this class.

Not sure what to say. I think you are completely right. My experience with poison marksman is horrible. It was really good dps for single target but other than that it was extremely terrible. And i could only deal damage when i was alowed to stand still for about 3s+ to even notice the damage finaly stacking.
Now there are couple of other issues. For example HOA is a dot. and wont proc poison stacks on its own. (it will only do that while specced into the node there in the skill tree and it still wont use any extra chance outside of these provided in the skill tree).
All in all when i switched to a detonating arrow setup even when i still had full poison gear i was still outperforming my poison build massively. Even the damage was better unless i was literaly allowed to afk attack boss or so.

I cant stress enough that i believe that ailments in this game are very bad. Overall not really viable. Maybe some niche scenarious but i believe that crit+crit multi + flat damage is scaling far better. Now i am completely fine if poison (or any ailment build) was somewhat budget and only doing insane damage with having INSANE gear but right now i feel like thats nowhere near close to reality. It is massively underperforming on a class best suited for it. (poison specificaly).

I feel like thats just wrong and there are couple of others things similar to this in this game and over time when i noticed them it just made me sad. I feel like there are fake ammount of build diverstity when in reality only few of the choices are really meaningfull.

Only time will tell and eventualy this can shift and change. But right now. My verdict for ailments especialy poison marksman is… SHIT.

1 Like

There are a lot of big issue with Marksman, the issue with rare bows is that all of the ‘competitive’ end game builds for it are completely reliant on the comparatively insane uniques. I probably should have titled it more generically about marksman.

Ailments are an entire issue unto themselves, and the current implementation makes things very rough. I do think they need to be changed, but to be honest I don’t love the playstyle and would rather we have access to more viable bursty options. If they were going to be made comparable to the more immediate damage crit builds, rares need to be fixed.

Rares allow for more build variety because you can choose what to scale. If we could make rares that were comparative to the build defining uniques we are currently autoslotting, while not everything would be perfect, it would be a vast improvement. Rogue is the newest class, and so I don’t expect its kit to be as fully fleshed out as some of the prior released ones quite yet, but making a whole new item type that is so unbelievably weak compared to the other ones is just sad.

There are a few big gearing issues preventing variety of scaling methods:
Unlike PoE %AS and mods like %phys is global and can come in an equally impactful capacity from different sources, in fact, the end game rogue armor base has the equivalent of a High T4/Low T5 %phys affix on a bow for an implicit. So, when % is worthless on your weapon what do you do? You take flat damage or AS which is harder to get on gear than a % damage and has a much larger effect. However, Marksman gets tons tons of free AS from their passives and specializations, and due to diminishing returns your best bet dps wise is actually flat.

The highest base aps bow is 1.05, while the BiS unique for a AS based build (multishot) has .92. This means if you have a nice 100% attack speed, which is pretty high range for a marksman (if you include the trigger 60% AS for 3 seconds/10 .3*60=18% real AS bonus, plus some more from other perks and gear) but will show my point, this translates to a 2.1-1.84 = .26 aps difference. .26/2.1 = .1238 = ~12.4% more attacks per second. That unique is supposed to trade aps for damage per hit by design. Yet, the best in slot unique for an AILMENT based build only has 12.4% more aps which is a joke.

If you want to make a rare bow to use a skill other than RoA for ailments, you are out of luck, because nothing is comparable and no skill mechanically fits. There need to be higher (much) AS bow bases for more inventive builds to be viable with rares. AS being the determining factor for viability of ailments is part of why they are in such a bad spot, poison’s advantage over bleed and yet still lackluster performance aside. That’s only one part of it though.

If we had slightly higher base AS across the board, more affixes and they were scaled up to be comparable to melee ones (i’m looking at you +28 t5 flat damage on every one handed melee, which bladedancer gets two of btw) and a few class specific affixes for conversion of skills like flurry and multishot, marksman would be in a MUCH better place. I would appreciate a high AS skill (flurryesque) with a bit of aoe, kind of like a flurry that shoots 3 arrows with some pierce, I think marksman would be in a decent spot. It would make applying ailments to packs much easier, and it would also make clearing more viable for builds that want to, say, focus on flurry for dps rather than use it as a glorified multishot trigger. That skill, if it ever comes, won’t be for a while, and even if it did the current issues with crafted gearing would make it subpart compared to multishot arrow scaling.

In other words: Yes marksman is in a generically bad spot, as are ailments, and the gear is just one aspect, but there are some ways that gear could improve to help it out a ton while preparing a larger fix.

So I’m starting to get a little confused here with the uniques being better than rares and poison on Hail of Arrows (HoA). Let’s start with HoA and Acidfletch. Acidfletch converts it to poison, but this is already something you can do in the tree with little investment, and will want to do if you’re going for a poison HoA build because it connects to other poison nodes. Furthermore, HoA is a DoT skill by default which means that any sources of “Chance to Poison on Hit” don’t apply to HoA unless the player takes the Skystrike node, but that would only account for a single hit per HoA, which is a really bad source of poison on hit when compared to basically any other Marksman skill. Armor also doesn’t affect poison, so the armor shred is not going to help a poison based HoA build. I admittedly haven’t used much HoA because I don’t like skills with the DoT tag, but I’m struggling to see why you perceive this unique as so powerful in comparison to other options. I’d say the best thing it has going for it is the increased HoA duration, and that very well might be enough to make it BiS for this very specific build, but it’s not exactly annihilating the competition.

If I understand correctly, you don’t just think the unique is better for RoA but also better for any poison Marksmen build. Ok, let’s compare it with a crafted item. If I were to wear Acidfletch and play something like Flurry, DA, MS, or Puncture (yes, these are all viable options) and go full poison, here are the relevant stats I would get from Acid Fletch :

1.05 attack rate
24-60% Chance to poison on bow hit
10-20% Increase poison Duration
80-130% Poison Damage

Now let’s compare that to a well crafted rare Serpent Bow, and I’ll use one with only three affixes so we can keep it to a reasonable T15 item and not muddy the water with stats that are good but not directly related to how much poison damage we can do:

1.05 attack rate
24-60% Chance to poison on bow hit
10-20% Increased poison duration
64-96% Increased poison damage
64-96% Increased damage over time
38-48% Chance to Poison on hit

So what we end up with is the same attack rate and poison duration, up to 108% chance to poison instead of 60%, and up to 192% increased poison damage (inc poison + DoT) instead of 130%. In this case, I’m going to take the crafted bow 10/10 times for any skill that hits, and it’s going to do considerably more damage.

But maybe I’m missing something in why you believe crafted bows aren’t better than uniques?

1 Like

glad I read this I was thinking of making a bow build

I’ve been trying to take this post slowly to get to the heart of the concern, but since you’re thinking about a bow build I do want to say that I disagree with marksman being in anything close to a bad state. In fact I would say it’s in a very good state, and I think there are some misconceptions on the OPs part.

1 Like

I just wanted to hop in and giving some thoughts:

Disclaimer: I am not a huuuuge rogue player and probably don’t have super crazy experience with bow build, BUT.

All of the recently implemented rogue weapons, like Bows, Daggers and Quivers are probably one of the best ones in terms of endgame-viability.

OP says there are 3 viable options currently?
I disagree, i would consider 5 of the 11 bow base types endgame viable.

Except quivers and Daggers(whic hare also as new as the bows)

All other weapons only have one endgame viable base type.
Sure if you play a melee build you still have some chocies between sword, axe and mace, but within each category you only have one.

(The new wands and scepters are also a bit more viable too)

So IMO bow is one of the best weapon types currently.

I apologize for the lack of clarity, I do realize that I got a bit bogged down in details and my point got sidetracked and became a bit muddled. Here’s a simplification of the core issue:

You have 2 major play style options as a marksman: Flat Stack Crit and Ailment

Those can be separated into:
Phys Stack Crit and Ele Conversion
Ailment based (bleed or poison)
Respectively

I think my point on the 1st two came across fairly clearly in my first post so I’ll primarily address the second one here, and then tie it back to my original point.

Once you decide to go for an ailment play style you have to choose a skill for it. Because magnitude of hit doesn’t affect ailment damage, cinder strike and detonating arrow can be marked off as viable choices, leaving you with

1. Flurry/Multishot/Flurry+Multishot
  2. Rain of Arrows
  3. Puncture

I don’t think there is any disagreement up to this point.

Now, suppose you want to make an ailment build that can: 1. Clear, 2. Boss

You have low hit damage and rely on stacking ailments with many fast hits for an ailment playstyle.

Puncture gives Pierce but the attack speed is too low and the aoe insufficient to be a dedicated clear skill, with the mirage specialization passive costing so much mana.

Flurry had good single target ailment dps, but without Pierce clearing would require usage of

1. Rain of Arrows
  2. Multishot

Multishot triggers will have insufficient frequency/hit damage to clear anywhere near as well as a crit build, and the mana cost limitation for time spent attacking is a huge nerf to ailment stacking on single targets.

Thus you are left with rain of arrows+flurry, at which point rain of arrows as your clear and flurry as your dps is nonsensical because you could achieve better results by focusing solely on scaling rain of arrows both in terms of clear and boss dps.

Poison is a better ailment than bleed for obvious reasons in endgame, and what does that leave you: Acidfletch

It’s not that you can’t make a bow better than acidfletch for any other ailment build, in fact for any other skill nearly any half decent crafted bow would be better, it’s that there is a single obvious choice for an ailment playstyle skill, and a single obvious choice for the weapon to use.

Creating higher APS bases would allow rares to compete, and possibly allow for some more variety with skill tweaks for ailment builds.

Crit based builds face a similar issue, wherein the obvious choice of skills (flurry+multi) also have an obvious choice of weapon which cannot be reasonably surpassed.

Detonating arrow is technically the exception here, as two flat damage affixes on a rare can be converted to a single damage type to scale, with the added benefit of a crit multi implicit, but I feel even that is disputable as if I were ever to make one it would probably be a dex stacking build with the boots proving flat cold/dex for dual scaling on the skill (flat from boots, % from rogue skill scaling off dex) and reign of winter so that added cold from boots would double apply for both my attacks and spell triggers, alongside the great damage effectiveness and clear of detonating arrow.

At its best, I agree that marksman is in a good state. The flurry+multishot with scaling arrow number is a pretty decent setup. I don’t like that the most viable play-style requires me to lock a unique as indisputably the best endgame choice. While I have seen hit based crit RoA, even the creator admitted poison w/ acidfletch is likely inherently better. This means that there is a single skill allowing any sort of variety/creativity with your bow, detonating arrow.

I hope I have sufficiently clarified my point, please let me know if that all makes sense.

1 Like

Again, there are many facts from all you guys that i can agree with, just some additional thoughts:

I would not call it ‘‘shit’’ but i know what you mean when we compare it to crit builds :slight_smile: With all ailment versions for Marksman it is possible to complete endgame monolith. If we are talking about Arena, thats a different thing, yes! It depends a little bit what you want achieve at the end. But still the ailment playstyle on Marksman suffers the most imo.

Obsidian Bow actually has 1.1 which is a huge difference and is doing a relatively good job for Puncture. Mix it with Valdyr’s Chalice and you can make a decent bleed build with high attspeed. Idk if Acidfletch is really better than a good rolled Rare Serpent Bow. Sure it has 140% poison dmg, but thats it if you go for poison DA for example. On a rare serpent you can get another bow attack speed roll as 2nd prefix and still a high poison dmg roll. For suffix you can go with another poison chance roll. So i agree with McFluffin on that. For a Ignite Cinder Strike build you can even go with the Serpent Bow and convert all Poison Chance to Ignite chance within the Cinder Strike tree and make a decent build out of it.

Yes, LongBow (Crit Multi/DA/HoA), Dreadthorn (Crit Multi/DA), Serpent (all Poison), Osprix (Elemental HoA/DA), Obsidian (all Bleed) are all viable endgame bows.

I was always thinking about the marksman passive first^^ But yeah when we say HoA we mean Hail of Arrows which is the skill that you are also talking about.
Good and interesting thread. I always had in my mind to create a topic on ailments and some feedback for marksman but we alrdy have a good discussion here.

2 Likes

After playing Marksman for a while and testing out a few builds, here is my humble suggestion to make endgame DoTs viable on this class:

→ Improve the node “Mutilate” of skill Puncture.
Actual mutilate: instead of applying bleed, the third puncture hit consume all stacks of bleed on the target causing them to deal damage immediatly.

New mutilate: instead of applying bleed and/or poison, the third puncture hit cause all stacks of bleed and poison on the target to deal damage immediatly but doesn’t remove the stacks.

This way you’d get a very high damaging skill that scales of attack speed and not from crit, flat damage hence bring the desired diversity.
Nodes “sanguine obsession” and “scalebane” funels bleed and poison into one or the other for the green or red fans.

Idols and prefixes that further increase the bleed duration of puncture (currently 30%) would help it scale too. Poison would need to be added to this passive effect of puncture.

Top it off with a unique bow with very high attack speed and increased bleed/poison duration on puncture and you have the ailment fantasy covered.

TLDR; Puncture would be played as → put as many bleed and/or poison stacks as you can within the extended bleed duration window ; gear up with exended poison/bleed duration on puncture and attack speed.
It would feel very satisfying every 3 hits to see a burst of poison and blood explode on the target while its health bar melts ^^

My 2 cents …

1 Like

Thank you for the correction on obsidian bow aps, funnily enough even though it was initially in my build plan and I dropped a 98% phys rolled one yesterday, the crit multi on dread thorn has been too valuable to give up so it remains the one endgame base I haven’t tried out!

1.1 is better but I do still feel that the min and max aps on bows could use some moderate tweaks, however there are some other good ways to approach the issue to take so much weight off aps, I just think they would be more skill mechanic focused rather than numerical which is a bit harder to implement in the short term

I do think that Wismerhill’s comment about puncture mutilate changes are on the right track for something like this as the type of change that could be useful. Since bleed scales off phys while poison scales off sheer stacks/duration, and bleed has a higher base tick, choosing between bleed and poison for a mechanic like the one he describes (applying all ticks without removing) would be a real decision between high frontloaded damage, or potentially massive hits after waiting a bit. I do think that it’s a better solution for puncture’s bleed viability than poison though overall, simply because of how poison scales, and could use some slight tweaks.

Regardless, I’d like to take a moment to appreciate how good this whole discussion has been. As an easily 3-4k+ hours PoE player that decided to go on a break for a bit (add another 1-2k for PoB too really) I can say with near absolute certainty that, were this discussion in that community instead, it never would have remained in the respectful, well thought out, and constructive manner that everyone involved here has had, past (maybe) the first couple comments. This really is a great community!

1 Like

OK so there are a lot of assumptions in here that I don’t agree with. I’m going to do my best to point them out and explain my reasoning, but since there are a lot of assumptions overall I might miss a few. I’ll lay these out as I come across them reading back through.

I’m not entirely sure what “Flat Stack” Crit is in comparison to just a crit build, but yes, generally in this game and other ARPGs people go crit or DoT. There are other options of course, like just hit damage, but often if you’re going hit damage tacking on at least double damage from crits is a good idea. So I think we’re largely in agreement here. I think it’s worth a note that several of the Rogue skills have support for hybrid ailment/hit builds, but I haven’t tested them enough to know if they’re competitive or not.

There are strong ele builds without conversion. Particularly from Detonating Arrow (DA). Ignite is also an option for ailments, although it’s not super great now and there’s not a huge amount of support for it with rogue, plus it’s largely tacked onto an underperforming skill (Cinder Strike). There is also cold and Frostbite through DA and HoA, and a unique bow and quiver that supports the playstyle, but I’m guessing that’s part of the “conversion” you’re talking about. You may also be referring to DA in general as a conversion option since it does convert all damage sources to lightning baseline. If so, then yeah this is probably pretty representative of the options right now, sans Cinder Strike which we’ve already discussed is under performing right now and needs a solid buff.

Your point being that Flurry Multi-shot with Drelkor’s Compass is the best choice? I think DA has been pushed further than MS from people I know are pushing legitimately. I haven’t made a Flurry MS build myself (Just MS), but I could see good reason to not use Drelkor’s Compass, since it’s only cutting out 20% of the mana cost, so you still need a generator, and the additional MS arrows aren’t doing anything for Flurry (same with the idols).

Strong disagreement. you’re not considering the value of AoE, or what skill provides in the tree. Mixing DA with a generator is a really good option. The “Scorpion Arrow” node gives two free stacks of poison by itself. Cinder would be a great choice if it had poison support, but for players who want ignite it’s solid with a big AoE at no mana cost. So its only drawback are the two general problems I mentioned where poison just outperforms and CS needs some buffs. Also nodes that increase or provide more damage to a skill in the skill tree also apply to the ailments it applies (unless the node specifically states “on hit”), so magnitude does matter.

We also aren’t accounting for how support skills can affect builds, like builds that use a bow attack along with ballistae or other support skills that can apply ailments. These often synergize with some skills better than others.

I think the attack speed is fine given how much ailment support the skill has and the pierce that you mentioned, plus it can have 100% Frenzy uptime. the mirage node is cheaper than Flurry/MS, which you think is top tier, and mirage happens on every hit instead of 4th, and on top of that you can get 100% poison shred chance, which is a huge dps boost.

Or DA, or Puncture with mirages, or Ballistae. Flurry as a generator/ST opens up any AoE spender playstyle. This is also true of puncture or Cinder Strike.

This is a problem that a generator/spender setup doesn’t have. Use the generator for ST and there’s no limitation. As far as crit, this is the more general problem that Trickster brought up earlier, where if you can crit hard enough and erase the enemy on a single hit, well that’s just obviously going to be superior in scenarios like arena where things can eventually one shot. That’s a build/class independent problem though.

Except HoA doesn’t apply on hit ailments, so it’s going to scale much worse than anything that does, and it doesn’t synergize with flurry for that very reason. I think HoA is likely to be one of the weaker options for ailments. And even if it wasn’t, it still doesn’t avoid the crit problem mentioned above. It just doesn’t have much access to crit at all, so it will generally lag behind other options for that reason alone.

Except, even if I bought everything you’ve previously stated, you’ve now just heavily nerfed your flurry ST damage with Acidfletch in comparison to a crafted bow (that whole synergy problem with flurry again). I think you’re really overestimating how good Acidfletch is.

Not obvious at all and might not even break the top 3.

I really don’t see why there’s a need for more APS, with attack speed already being bountiful for a Marksman. Stack your ailment chance to where you’re applying 3, 4, even 5+ of the ailment per attack.

No. It’s not an obvious choice of skill, or of bow usage. If I’m channeling, I’m probably gonna go crafted bow so all of my attacks are benefiting from all of my stats. Another thing that we haven’t discussed is debuffs that can be put on enemies from suffix options on crafted bows. These are often very strong and need to be factored in when considering uniques.

Mourningfrost? It’s got a big downside but yeah it would be good. You would be limited in how much dex you could stack from how much cold and phys res you could cover, but it would still be a very good build. The lightning version of DA is also very strong, and the one I’ve seen people push in arena. Shock is really strong right now so anything that can benefit from it is going to be good. This isn’t really an exception though. It’s just another good skill that Marksmen has.

Ignoring that I disagree with your most viable play-style conclusion, I’m also not in agreement that having some builds with a unique as their BiS weapon is a bad thing. What’s wrong with having some builds that have a clear chase item? As long as the build works without it, this seems like good design to me. Now, if every build or even most builds needed a unique weapon, then yeah I would agree, but having some that do and others that don’t feels like good variety to me.

Good conversation! I love talking balance and theorycrafting. I hope I didn’t come off as too dismissive and please feel free to tell me where you disagree.

1 Like

I apologize but I think you may have a fundamental misunderstanding of many my arguments:
When I say ‘flat stack’ I mean that the most effective way to boost your damage is by having more flat damage, which is primarily available from your weapon.

I honestly have no idea how you got this idea, maybe because I was talking about cold. Thats how I would do but i’ve actually been rethinking it. When I say conversion I mean the following:
Say you have the following stats
10 added phys damage
10 added cold damage
100% increased lightning damage
100% increased phys damage
50% increased cold damage:
You use detonating arrow: Detonating arrow converts ALL damage to lightning by default there is not conversion perk or unique necessary, its intrinsic to the skill. So detonating arrow has 150% damage effectiveness intrinsically as well. For the sake of simplicity of making my point I will leave off the damage effectiveness of detonating arrow.
1 det arrow (no specializations or passives)=
20 lightning damage * (1+(100/100)) = 40 damage before skill modifiers

Now lets say you use any other skill (except cinder strike which would be the same as above but with fire):
10 phys * (1+(100/100)) = 20
10 cold * (1+(50/100)) = 15
= 35 damage before skill modifiers
This is a very simplified example, but the point is every affix has an opportunity cost so scaling two at once like this will always be worse without exception all things else about a skill held equal.

This is incorrect. For a crit based build whatever bow suffix you want is available on your quiver, idol, and a million other forms. Armor shred comes from passives, slow for 60% more damage for multishot can come from idols suffix (i have a damage per arrow multishot, 20% slow idol equipped) or quiver suffix, or quiver implicit, or anything really.

I use a ‘generator’ to recover my mana btw, and it is intrusive when you run out of mana while a boss is in an easy to hit phase. Also, I shouldn’t have mentioned my ideas for detonating arrow tbh bc its not super relevant.

In regards to my playstyle conclusions I believe you should look at the skills used in the ladder for Marksman. You are correct, and as I acknowledged earlier, currently Detonate Arrow is top tier for arena pushers. Outside of that, I saw one person using multishot without flurry and one person using flurry without multishot.
https://lastepoch.com/ladder

Also, I think you should re-read the portion where I stated for any other build but RoA a rare is better than acidfletch, but as you conceded, acidfletch is BiS for poison RoA. RoA is by far the most popular ailment build for a reason. Not that your recommendations aren’t ‘viable’ but there’s just no reason to choose them other than to say you aren’t playing a meta one.

The next skills you see are flurry+multishot and RoA in 99% of cases

I believe you have a fundamental misunderstanding of where the damage comes from in a flurry multishot build, maybe 5% of it comes from flurry. You jack your aps as high as you can to trigger multishot using the specialization.
https://www.neoseeker.com/last-epoch/builds/Multishot_Marksman

The -mana cost is icing on the cake, the real reason people use the unique bow for multishot is in my original post, free 200% damage increase and over twice the flat phys damage otherwise available to you.

I’m not certain that this is the best medium for us to discuss considering how much was miscommunicated, so if you would like to have a more in depth back and forth I am happy to oblige on discord.

That would be an option to make this node more interesting, yes. It’s basically how the Rogue passive Disembowel works, so you could get 8 Bleed stack in total.
Problem for Bleed Puncture is, that it suffers with AoE. When i was playing a pure Bleed Puncture you have to play really good and aim like a pro to always do decent dmg and keep that stacks up. One missed Puncture attack is a big dmg loss. I can imagine a small bleed explosion effect once you reach a certain amount of stacks to help out aoe issues. Another problem for the Poison Puncture version is the 15 Mana cost. Stacking ailments for high dmg is all about Attack Speed, its basically the biggest dmg multiplier for ailment builds. Detonating Arrow has a Mana cost of 8, Multishot 10. I never understood the high mana cost of Scalebane, focused on a ailment mechanic and compared to high crit skills like Multi/DA from a mana cost perspective. You could make a 2pointer out of Penumbral Ambush making it a 4 mana cost skill with 1 additional Mirage. 2 points invested gives you 2 Mirages and a 8 mana cost. At least it makes stacking ailments way easier and you balance it around DA mana cost which is easy to keep up.

And this is where i see the problem. I think in the current state its kinda awkward to scale both ailment and hit dmg. I either would like to go Pure ailment or pure Crit/Hit. Why can i not build a decent Ailment/Dot build with a weapon implicit of 1 phys dmg? So by looking at Obsidian Bow it CLEARY tells me, ok this is the Bleed base bow to go if i wanna scale Puncture dmg (up to 100% increased physical dmg/ and a strong 1.1 base attack speed). But the Bow also comes with a MASSIVE 45 Flat phys dmg which automatically makes HoA really strong aswell. So basically only the 45 Flat phys implicits empowers my Phys HoA dmg and it alrdy outperforms any source of Pure Bleed dmg from Puncture. Of course i scale more into Flat dmg to further improve HoA then… This is the big problem in itemization when we talk about Ailment builds right now.
I’m not the person who likes to bring up other arpgs to compare why they did it better. But as an example…i can play a Caustic Arrow Trickster with a shitty white ilvl 1 Bow and still do massive DoT dmg, which i like cause its a different mechanic and playstyle that i wanna focus around. Don’t get me wrong, i like that LE did come up with a different mechanic approach on dots/ailments, but im trying to find out and give feedback where i see the problems and how we can improve it. I don’t want the mechanic to disappear.

You are confusing Ailment with DoT dmg on HoA. HoA is not a typical ailment skill because it cant Hit (except for Skystrike node). The reason why HoA works is the crazy amount of dmg effectiveness and the Flat dmg you can scale for it. Thats why Tunk is using Reign of Winter for an insane amount of DoT dmg since you can get up to 110 Flat dmg on bow. It very unlikely to get 2x t7 Flat Phys/Flat Fire rolls on a Base LongBow to outperform Reign of Winter or alternatively Drelkors Compass. The poison or bleed stacks for HoA only appears after each second.

I think you need to change the threads title to ‘‘The Issue with Bows & Ailments for Marksman’’ soon, because from what i read i think we all agree that ailments in general are not in a good spot for Marksman :smiley:

First of all, I am very embarrassed that I thought it was RoA and not HoA all this time, Rain of Arrows seemed right idk why. Also, the importance of flat damage stacking and the absurd values on uniques vs rares was why I originally made the post lol! You are right though so I swapped the title.

Also yeah but the conversion to all damage should let you scale flat added damage with %poison mods correct? I am pretty sure thats the only reason to use it. I forgot that poison only applies after each second for it though, so thank you for the reminder. The 300% effectiveness is a massive motivator for flat damage, I know But I think that motivates my point that uniques completely outclass rare bows in too many cases for a healthy dynamic and rare bows need a buff. Rare bows on non ailment builds are still better than running an ailment build tho naturally. I don’t think anyone is defending them.

I also fully agree with you on the aoe puncture issue. I think the small pool of potential clear skills is probably the biggest issue on marksman right now outside of the obvious issues we’ve both mentioned with flat damage being so much better on uniques than rare bows. It still baffles me that they gutted flat damage on bows by 10 whole points at t5 compared to melee weapons.

Also: in regards to my edit: I thought you were saying that flat damage applies to things like frostbite and ignite, and I was very confused, I checked and saw that was not the case and realized what you meant by dot. I’m running on 3 hours of sleep so bear with me lol

You dont need to feel embarrassed. I’m a main PoE player aswell and i still call Warpath Cyclone in this game :wink: We all know what we are talkin about, i was just confused in the beginning when i did a quick read through because of the actual passive that works similar to the skill HoA which is called Rain of Arrows.
I also did not want to force you to change the title :slight_smile: I just saw it as a good chance to highlight other problems that the Marksman in general suffers at. And since we are having such a good and healthy discussion with additional feedback for the devs it might be important to call out Ailments aswell.
As mentioned before, yes there are definitly Unique Bows like Reign of Winter (HoA) and Drelkor’s Compass (Multishot) that might be BiS, or at least a way easier possibilty to boost certain builds early on without to much effort into min maxing. But yes a 2x T7 Flat dmg Bow can even outperform them, but its relatively rare to get/craft some like them.
I’m in general very happy with the current Bows and their implicits, the only thing that i brought up as a suggestion to the devs in the tester phase was to change the ‘‘increase Bow elemental dmg’’ to ‘‘increase elemental dmg’’ for Osprix Bow to also boost ignite dmg (Cinder Strike and Fire Detonating Arrow).
I really like playing DoT builds in general, and i always played Bow/Range classes in other arpgs before. So i hope that the huge amount of Ailment support, that Rogue already has will see some love in the future.
The numbers are not bad, it’s just the general Ailment mechanic around a Dodge/Kiting based class that is holding Marksman a bit back compared to Crit/Big one hitter Builds.

Yes, once Hail of Arrows dmg for example is converted to poison, affixes like increase poison dmg will both scale the converted flat poison dmg and the poison ailment aswell.

All this feedback is really intersting. I really think we should build a proposed changelog for all those suggestions in order to be more intelligible for the devs and for easier implementation.

I’ll start with the changes I think would make DoT a viable endgame option for marsmen. Please also add yours afterwards.

• Mutilate node of Puncture
    Actual mutilate: instead of applying bleed, the third puncture hit consumes all stacks of bleed on the target causing them to deal damage immediatly.
    New mutilate: instead of applying bleed or poison, the third puncture hit causes all stacks of bleed and poison on the target to deal damage immediatly but doesn’t remove the stacks.

• Penumbral Ambush node of Puncture
    Actual Penumbral Ambush: several mirages appear attacking in the same direction as you ; mana cost +15
    New Penumbral Ambush: mana cost +3

• Puncture passive:
    Actual Puncture passive: puncture has 30% chance to apply bleed ; bleed inflicted by puncture have 30% increased duration
    New Puncture passive: puncture has 30% chance to apply bleed and poison ; bleed and poison inflicted by puncture have 30% increased duration

• Prefix modifications
    New 1x4 idol prefix: +(1-3)% duration on bleed and poison inflicted with Puncture OR (10-20)% increased duration on bleed and poison inflicted with Puncture whichever is easier to implement
    New Helmet prefix: +(3-5)% duration on bleed and poison inflicted with Puncture OR (25-35)% increased duration on bleed and poison inflicted with Puncture whichever is easier to implement
    New Body Armour prefix: +(5-7)% duration on bleed and poison inflicted with Puncture OR (40-50)% increased duration on bleed and poison inflicted with Puncture whichever is easier to implement

For reference, the build I have in mind to make the DoT side of puncture viable for endgame would be something like this + modifications above (@KingM1das notice it has a rare bow :innocent: ):

Yikes. OK, so there’s a few places here were you act as if I don’t know what I’m talking about or have a “fundamental misunderstanding” of something. I don’t like to talk about my “credentials”, but let’s get past this idea that I’m just saying whatever I want with no understanding. I’ve been playing the game for 2 years with well over 2k hours and I’m a community tester, so I work on patches before they’re released to the public. If we disagree on something, all I ask is that you assume I have a solid understanding of the game and the things I’m talking about and we should try to understand where the disconnect is in our understanding.

This is not a universal truth, although in many cases it does apply or at least applies initially. Like any damage stat (except for multipliers), it has diminishing returns. Flat damage is great, but so is lots of increased damage and crit multi. Too little of any of these in favor of the other and the build is weaker.

So the part at the very end of that paragraph where I guess the conversion you’re talking about. Got it. There are uniques and nodes in skill trees that actually do full conversions from one damage type to another, so the language can be confusing when just saying “conversion”.

The key part of this is “with all things being equal”. No doubt the flat damage conversion of DA, along with increased damage effectiveness, is strong though. DA is a good skill that’s performing very well right now.

It is available on your quiver, and some are available on other sources, but not all. It being available on your quiver does not negate it’s value on a bow, especially if you want more than two suffix types in your build, which many builds do. A lot of other suffixes benefit from multiple sources (shock, poison, ignite, armor shred, etc), so there is no reason to discount the suffix slots on crafted weapons. They are very valuable and need to be considered when choosing between a crafted and a unique.

Sorry if it seemed like I was arguing that your build choices weren’t good. All the builds we have been talking about are strong and great choices for players who like the playstyle. My arguments came from the premise I perceived you of having, which was MS and HoA are the only really good options for Marksman.

I’ll also point this out here because I’m sure you’ll get it at some point. The ladder isn’t exactly…trustworthy right now. But we can certainly use it for a very general look at what builds are popular.

Are you using the ladder to show this? Often, what’s popular is what one of the more well known Youtubers has made a guide on. Apprentice over at Last Epoch Builds had been working on several HoA builds recently. They’re certainly good, and he really knows how to make builds, but I know from personal experience that other builds would be very competitive with them (this also doesn’t mean his is worse. I’m just trying to point out that there’s a lot more parity with these skills than the ladder might be showing right now).

LE is in a very different state than PoE right now. Because the community is smaller (but growing quickly!) a lot of builds haven’t really been explored to their potential, and when someone makes a good build that looks fun, it tends to catch on in the community and become popular for a while. Often, these aren’t necessarily the “best” builds, just the ones with the most exposure.

Yeah, no. I don’t have a fundmental misunderstanding. Yes, Flurry is used to proc MS, and you want to proc it as much as possible. Flurry is also used to compensate for the relative lack of ST damage that MS has on it’s own. Can you use Draelkor’s Compass with Flurry/MS? yes, absolutely. Is it BiS? Maybe, or maybe not. I use Draelkor’s on a pure MS build I’ve made (I can link if you’d like), but if I went the channeling route I would absolutely be testing it against rares, and my choice would likely come down to whether or not my AoE damage was sufficient with a rare. If it was, I would probably go with the rare for the ST boost. If not, I would probably stick with the Compass. But a lot of that would be determined by other factors like what other gear I have and choices I made in the passives/skill trees. There are multiple ways to make these builds and they’ll be competitive.

1 Like