The Issue With Bows (Rare Ones)

Please don’t worry about the change in title at all! I didn’t feel forced, I just felt you were right and it may be more constructive to have a more fitting title. I do think that increased elemental damage could go a long way, as I also feel like cinderstrike has such potential and is just underperforming.

edit: I think the title reverted as it is showing the old one, i’m not sure what happened there or how to change it again.

I apologize if I seemed patronizing, that was not my intention, and when I read your reply I truly did think some things got lost in translation. When I was giving examples of mechanics that seem like basic game knowledge, (the conversion one for example) I included it less because I didn’t think you knew it, and more because it demonstrated the mechanics I was trying to comment on in a way that was less likely to be misinterpreted.

In regards to the flurry+multishot portion, I thought you were trying to say that someone may be trying to increase flurry damage (and therefore an opportunity cost of an affix or unique gear choice benefitting multishot damage) on a flurry+multishot build, which I was quite confused about.

I agree with this, the fact that detonating arrow went from 0 representation to t1 arena clearer for marksman is evidence of it, but I do feel like there is currently lower diversity potential in playstyles for marksman than some other builds, simply by virtue of it being introduced more recently than the other classes, and ailments being in need of a retuning. (which so much of the kit seems to focus on) I do think there are going to be some more builds pop up, but probably at a lower frequency than for other classes is my point.

Even if you disagree with me on a few points, you have to agree that with ailments in need of a retuning, and much of marksman kit focused on either ailment or hybrid hit/ailment (which is worse than pure of either in every case I can think of) that it could benefit from some adjustments/new mechanics/new mods for bows.

Say you had a new mod that did something like ‘+1 arrow to puncture’, '+1 arrow to flurry, ‘your flurry attack has a X% chance to pierce enemies’, ‘puncture inflicts double the amount of bleed/poison stacks on hit’ or something like ‘puncture no longer pierces but can ricochet to another enemy for each stack of bleed it applies on it’s first hit’.

I think that moving a few powerful effects that would normally go on a specialization tree to the mod pool for bows would go a really, really long way for new builds, as having ‘+2 to flurry’ is kinda useless if that +2 doesn’t even get you enough points to get the travel cost to the node you really need to make a build work. Even if you stack that mod on multiple pieces of gear to get there, all of a sudden you have lost a ton of super powerful prefix slots like those on bow, quiver, and body armor/helm which are your best sources of increasing your damage.

I apologize but I strongly, strongly, disagree with your opinion that bow suffixes are relevant in the slightest (due to their availability elsewhere) for anything other than stacking it for poison/bleed builds, which I think almost everyone here has agreed are currently not the most effective playstyle.

1 Like

Yeah, my first comment was actually about how non poison ailments were in a bad state generally, and also agreed with Trikster on how they are generally worse in a competitive environment. Not sure that I agree that the Marksmen toolkit is significantly skewed more towards ailments than most other classes though.

You don’t have to apologize for disagreeing, but I really don’t know what else to say on the matter. When we play in tourneys these are pretty high value affixes for many builds. Bows aren’t really any different in that regard. Having a quiver certainly helps but many builds need more than just the two suffixes, either to stack more debuffs or to increase the chance of stacking those debuffs. And if you are running a DoT build, which many many people do despite them not being the best for competitive play because they’re perfectly viable, and in the case of poison often really strong for Mono, then these are even more premium affixes.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.