Service Outage - 07/18/2024

Got into the character select screen. Just can’t login for online play

Now it all makes sense re: LE using Azure. Figured I would update my Nvidia drivers while we wait and when I restarted the machine, I noticed that XBOX is basically down as well.

https://imgur.com/asOnYuY

Honestly, can’t really blame them for this. Basically MS’s fault.

1 Like

but hulk hogan tho! lol

1 Like

yeah i was gonna play xbox while i waited but everyone’s account images are the defaults and messages are not synced with the app

Just remember something, folks…“The Cloud” is just someone else’s computer. That’s really it.

2 Likes

honestly i feel like they shoulda just linked the azure status

1 Like

Bummer though… Kid is at grandparents tonight and I finally caught up with work. I was going to put a solid session in and bam. Even if the servers go online, I always worry about them going down again and needing a rollback. Don’t feel like losing a bunch of progress.

Since you have the evening to yourself, try playing some Strip Solitaire. There is no dependency on online services and even if you lose, you win.

1 Like

Done! Already down to my underwear. We’ll see how it ends sir.

well i can finally see my characters to there is some good news. hopefully we can play soon.

2 Likes

just kidding game still sucks

1 Like

I would never let my server be run by a third party i would have my own…

1 Like

azure dev ops is back up, they now have access to their source-code if they’re using it…shrug

I don’t blame them for Microsoft’s sever going down.

I blame them for the appalling communication or lack there of over the course of the last four plus hours.

Idk what I expected from the people that can’t even make functioning dungeons though.

Still haven’t made it through a single temporal sanctum or lightless arbor without using 6 keys per run due to the desyncs and crashes.

1 Like

Figured they would have done something about the service they use considering the sh!t show on open launch.

2 Likes

The MS Azure status page points to their loss recovery options. There are a few fail-over options, with one of them (active/active) having the potential to be automatic to a different zone. Is EHG not using this? Or are they using it, but it failed?

This seems a bit of poor design to have Offline characters blocked by this issue as well.

1 Like

You need to change your launch options for LE to launch in offline mode.

1 Like

Thank you for the tip!

1 Like

Can’t speak for EHG but as someone in the tech industry whose company uses Azure, these failover services can be ABSURDLY expensive at scale. If you do a quick search prices will look relatively cheap but that is essentially just for the feature itself. You still need to pay:

• storage costs (now in every location you have available for failover)
  • transaction costs (the more often you replicate the more you have to pay and for a live game database you would want to replicate basically as often as possible)
  • egress/ingress costs (they charge a lot for moving data and you will have to be constantly doing so to keep the alternative locations in sync)
  • complexity (this type of setup greatly increases the overall complexity of the system)
  • and some more; employees, caching, etc…

Basically it isn’t as cheap as the $25 a month price M$ shows you, not even close. It can still be worth doing but considering Azure has in general over a 99.9% uptime (approx 8 hours of downtime a year) it may not be worth the cost.