Random crash on Linux (console output attached)

Hi!

I’ve been playing since alpha and the game runs generally fine, but from time to time (at least once per session) I get a random crash. I’m including the game log and also the Steam console output in case it helps:

Game process updated : AppID 899770 "/home/renard/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=899770 -- '/home/renard/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Last Epoch/Last Epoch.x86_64' -steam", ProcID 5642, IP 0.0.0.0:0
Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/version(1653101165)
Game process removed: AppID 899770 "/home/renard/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=899770 -- '/home/renard/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Last Epoch/Last Epoch.x86_64' -steam", ProcID 5642 
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 5767
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 5766
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 5642
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 5641
Game 899770 created interface SteamController007 / Controller
Game 899770 created interface SteamInput001 / Controller
Game 899770 created interface SteamUser020 / 
Game 899770 created interface SteamUser020 / User
Game 899770 created interface SteamUtils009 / Utils
Game 899770 method call count for IClientAudio::GetVoiceOptimalSampleRate : 1
Game 899770 method call count for IClientUtils::RecordSteamInterfaceCreation : 6
Game 899770 method call count for IClientUtils::GetAppID : 8
Game 899770 method call count for IClientUser::CancelAuthTicket : 1
Game 899770 method call count for IClientUser::GetAuthSessionTicket : 1
Game 899770 method call count for IClientUser::GetSteamID : 1
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam

(process:5710): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 15:08:15.183: g_object_unref: assertion 'G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
src/steamexe/main.cpp (253) : Assertion Failed: reaping pid: 5710 -- gameoverlayui

src/steamexe/main.cpp (253) : Assertion Failed: reaping pid: 5710 -- gameoverlayui

Log File

Here’s my specs:

AMD Radeon RX 6600
Ubuntu 22.04

Let me know if you need any more info from my side.

Thanks!

Hey there… the log is behind the google login and additionally requires requesting permission…

You can just attach it directly to the post - the forum allows for attaching logs or zips…

Please can you also attach your le_graphicsmanager.ini file ( in-game settings).

Also, your specs are a little sparce…
Memory? AMD CPU? GPU driver versions? Using Proton (version)? etc. These things are important on windows, but doubly so for Linux because of the increased configuration
variety possible.

Have you attempted to verify the game install - not sure on the option on Steam for LInux, but its important to do this to ensure the game install is ol.

Are you using Steam Overlays? This is known to cause intermittent issues on some systems in Windows - perhaps this is also an issue on Linux… Try disabling it if you are using it.

Have you tried the Standalone Linux version of the game to compare if it has the same issues or if this is only happening via Steam?

Hi there! Thanks for the swift reply.

Sorry, the forum told me the file was too big and that’s why I attached it as a link. I’m attaching a new one from a crash a few minutes after starting the game:

Player.zip (37.6 KB)

Also the settings file:

le_graphicsmanager.ini (478 Bytes)

My setup is:

RAM: 12 GB
CPU: AMD FX™-6300 Six-Core Processor
Mesa version: 22.2
I’m running the native port, not proton.

I’m going to try to disable Steam Overlays and see if that helps. I’m not using them at all anyway. If that also fails, I’ll try your other suggestions.

Thanks again for your time! :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Bernat.

No problem…

Steam Overlay ok. LE doesnt use Steam Overlay either so there really isnt any point in running it.

There is a reference in the game log about the overlay renderer, but as far as I know its meant to gracefully ignore this kind of error not crash… maybe disabling it will prevent this.

You are also getting the Logitech keyboard error - its not meant to cause an issue on unsupported systems/drivers/Linux - but just check that this feature is disabled in the settings… It keeps trying to load it and repeats the error a LOT of times in the log, so maybe its clogging things up over time and the game just gives up… (*its virtually 90% of your log).

Also… from your settings, you are trying to run the game at Ultra settings… This is not recommended for your level of GPU… In fact, right now, with the performance of the game in its current unoptimised state, that kind of quality setting is recommended for 3080 level GPUs… Attempting to run the game with Ultra settings (even on 1080p) is likely to cause some of the known performance instability issues - especially on less capable GPUs…

You are also not using any framerate limit - LE will attempt to max out your GPU in certain situations if you do not put a limit on it and this WILL cause the game to crash if too much is asked of the GPU at that moment… This is a common issue and can be replicated very easily on almost any setup… Your monitor (S27E330 27) only supports 60hz (i.e. 60fps) anyway so there is zero point in not using a limit… I would recommend that you enforce the ingame limit to 60fps to match your monitor… You will definitely notice improved stability just by doing this.

I would be more conservative with your in-game settings in favour of stability. I’d settle for Medium or may High… imho, eye candy can wait till they address the performance… but thats just me.

Also… Linux users have varying performance recommendations depending on distro etc… so you may experience better (or worse) performance by trying out the other options available (Proton/native etc)… Some swear by one and others prefer other configs but it does seem like there is no “ideal” linux config that can be applied for every linux situation as yet. This also means that problems tend to be very specific to each setup.

It seems to not be possible to disable the option from the settings. Clicking on the checkbox does nothing at all :frowning: Any ideas?

Regarding Ultra, the game does run great on these settings for me. No stutter or lag at any point. I’ve capped the FPS though, since you’re right there’s no point in asking for more than can actually be rendered!

Logitech… not sure - could be a linux specific issue… might have to see if a dev can help on this particular issue - pretty sure it repeating seemingly endlessly in the log is not a good thing. :frowning: Maybe one of the linux users can check this one on their setups too.

Ultra - its more of a stability recommendation than anything else… historically people running in ultra quality (at least those not on max tier GPUs) tend to experience stability issues vs running at lesser quality (High for example)… I am not one for eye-candy over performance/stability, but to me there isnt much of a difference in the heat of battle between Ultra and High quality anyway.

The FPS cap should make a big difference.

Seems to be an issue for others under Linux as well: Reddit - Dive into anything

I played for a while yesterday after applying all those changes and it didn’t crash. Will see today! :slight_smile:

I spoke too soon. It just crashed again :confused:

Do you know how can I contact a dev to see if they can check on the Logitech issue?

I know there are linux users playing fine that dont mention the Logitech issue but honestly I dont think anyone has figured out exactly what the difference is between what works or doesnt work for Linux users because of all the different variables - even down to the specific linux distribution.

Maybe @KissingAiur could chip in here specifically about the logitech issue flooding the logs? :smiley:

Hey… Turns out someone else using linux (pop_os!) has the exact same issue with a flooded logitech message in the logs… LInked just below your first post…

Not sure if its exactly what is causing the problem but at least you are not the only one having the same issue.

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0000000000000038 at address 0000000180DE7F4F (thread 012c), starting debugger…
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 475639
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 470191
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 475642
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 470168
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 470151
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 470145
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 470139
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 470119
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 470116
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 470110
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 470108
pid 470112 != 470111, skipping destruction (fork without exec?)
Game process removed: AppID 899770 “/home/esygrim/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=899770 – ‘/home/esygrim/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier’/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun – ‘/home/esygrim/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Proton 7.0’/proton waitforexitandrun ‘/home/esygrim/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Last Epoch/Last Epoch.exe’ -steam”, ProcID 470187
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 470187
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 470127
ThreadGetProcessExitCode: no such process 469930
Game 899770 created interface SteamController007 / Controller
Game 899770 created interface SteamInput001 / Controller
Game 899770 created interface SteamUser020 /
Game 899770 created interface SteamUser020 / User
Game 899770 created interface SteamUtils009 / Utils
Game 899770 method call count for IClientAudio::GetVoiceOptimalSampleRate : 1
Game 899770 method call count for IClientUtils::RecordSteamInterfaceCreation : 6
Game 899770 method call count for IClientUtils::GetAppID : 8
Game 899770 method call count for IClientUser::CancelAuthTicket : 1
Game 899770 method call count for IClientUser::GetAuthSessionTicket : 1
Game 899770 method call count for IClientUser::GetSteamID : 1
Uploaded AppInterfaceStats to Steam

random crashing about once every 1-2 hours i use manjaro - its distro independant. i dont think distros should make much difference how unity is handled on linux. maybe someone can enlighten me why im wrong about that. also steam overlay is turned off.

Please create your own thread in the bug/technical sections and link them to others that you think might be similar… Bug reports & technical can be very hard to track if everyone just adds in stack traces like you have without any reference point and there are numerous examples where one persons problem might have a similar result (like a crash) but actually be caused by something different… Everyones setups might seem similar but could actually be subtly different making it hard to isolate issues.

Someone might find a solution to their problem that doesnt work for you & they might just close their thread… Its also hard for the devs to track issues if they are all lumped into one thread.

When you create your own thread, please be sure to include your game logs, settings files and system info along with a detail example of what is happening.

Thanks

Apparently, nor disabling the RGB flag nor lowering the graphics settings fixed it. It keeps crashing randomly from time to time.

Here’s a new Player.log attached without all the Logitech fluff:

Player.log (78.3 KB)

A quick glance over the file didn’t reveal any obvious reason for the crash to me…

Just to clarify, did you remove the logitech entries from the player.log manually? or its just properly disabled and not logging them anymore?

There are a few items in the log that could point to a less than perfect installation or some components not working (Like Object reference not set to an instance of an object.) and the various FMOD errors (sound driver related). Particle system meshes errors are usually performance related… It could be a combination of issues that over time translate into crashing rather than one big “WTF” moment causing a crash…

Regarding graphics settings - the games in beta so playing on Ultra will cause totally unexplained crashes… as will most of the higher end configurations… sometimes even a special feature like AA or even the Grass density will be the culprit… On windows there is a quantifiable improvement in general stability on lower more conservative settings but I have no data on the same for Linux… I would assume so, but I cannot confirm this.

One last idea here… Is your system performing ok from a usage/temps/power draw/memory perspective? Random crashes on Windows have sometimes been caused by intermittent overheating or bad power delivery - LE, especially on high res/Ultra quality, does stress out CPU/GPU and use a fair amount of memory… Please can you double check that nothing like this is happening and everything is running within spec “Comfortably”

My expertise doesnt extend to Linux gaming so I cannot say if your combination of system drivers & versions could be an issue here - its very possible, but I am going to ping a Linux user who is playing successfully and logging bugs - they may have some better insight into things to try?

@amidelapoesie - As you have recently shown an interest in posting Linux related issues - any chance you can chip in here with this person and see if you could suggest anything to improve their experience… appreciated…

Okay, so the Logitech issue definitely pollutes the logs to the point of it being useless, so you can fix this by doing this:

1/ Quit the game

2/ Locate your Last Epoch config directory. For me it’s here:

~/.config/unity3d/Eleventh Hour Games/Last Epoch ❯❯❯ ls
Filters  Saves.bak  le_graphicsmanager.ini  Player-prev.log  version.txt
Saves    Unity      Player.log              prefs

3/ Edit prefs, locate the following lines:

<pref name="RGB_Enabled" type="int">1</pref>
        <pref name="RGB_FlashLowHealth" type="int">1</pref>

and change to:

<pref name="RGB_Enabled" type="int">0</pref>
        <pref name="RGB_FlashLowHealth" type="int">0</pref>

OR, if you trust my scripts :see_no_evil:

❯ sed -e 's/\(RGB_[^"]*" type="int">\)[01]/\10/' -i prefs

4/ Save and restart the game.

I don’t think that would cause the game to crash however: I was able to run the game for 6 hours with this on, on my machine (producing 34GB of useless logs in the process)…

1 Like

@bromagosa Interestingly, you and I seems to be on similar set of hardware. I’m left <, you’re right >:

10,11c10,12
< Display 0 'DELL U2717D 27"': 2560x1440 (primary device).
< Desktop is 2560 x 1440 @ 60 Hz
---
> Display 0 'S27E330 27"': 1920x1080 (primary device).
> Display 1 'S27E330 27"': 1920x1080 (secondary device).
> Desktop is 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
13c14
< [Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path /home/sylvain/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Last Epoch/Last Epoch_Data/UnitySubsystems
---
> [Subsystems] Discovering subsystems at path /home/renard/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Last Epoch/Last Epoch_Data/UnitySubsystems
15c16
< Renderer: AMD Radeon RX 5500 XT (navi14, LLVM 13.0.1, DRM 3.46, 5.18.6-arch1-1)
---
> Renderer: AMD Radeon RX 6600 (dimgrey_cavefish, LLVM 14.0.0, DRM 3.42, 5.15.0-39-generic)
17c18
< Version:  4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 22.1.2
---
> Version:  4.6 (Core Profile) Mesa 22.2.0-devel (git-3d5ba0e 2022-04-23 jammy-oibaf-ppa)
26c27
< OPENGL LOG: Creating OpenGL 4.6 graphics device ; Context level  <OpenGL 4.5> ; Context handle 30635200
---
> OPENGL LOG: Creating OpenGL 4.6 graphics device ; Context level  <OpenGL 4.5> ; Context handle 33590160

One thing that I noticed:

1. I used a more recent kernel than yours (I’m on 5.18)
  2. I use the stable mesa driver 22.1.2, you used devel & patched version of it

You’ve got a lot of NullReferenceExceptions. That’s usually a bad sign and could result a crash later on, as part of the program are likely undefined-behaviour.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  at LE.UI.Party.PartyOverviewController+<RefreshParty>d__8.MoveNext () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0 
  at LE.UI.Party.PartyOverviewController.Init () [0x00000] in <00000000000000000000000000000000>:0 
LE.UI.Party.<RefreshParty>d__8:MoveNext()
LE.UI.Party.PartyOverviewController:Init()

I’ve played for 30 minutes and in my entire log, I have just one NullReferenceException (which is above and that we also have in common).

My recommendations to try:

1. Update kernel if you can
  2. Downgrade mesa to a stable version

Try to record your screen if you can. A lot of the exceptions seem to be related to exploring Map & Quest UI elements (or so it seems).

Hope that helps :+1:

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.