Potential Fix or Workaround for Unity Crash Issue

I noticed a few people experiencing unity crash errors on startup on Last Epoch. I also had these issues, but thought they weren’t related to the game. I ended up diving into the issue and finding a workaround/fix that has helped myself and one other. We both had AMD GPUs and the ati64dxx.dll was the faulting module. I’ll share my Discord chat log with the person having this issue and also a concise list of the steps taken.
Quick Steps:

1. Last Epoch on steam right-click → Manage → browse local files
  2. Delete LastEpoch.exe and imgui.ini
  3. Verify integrity of files for Last Epoch on Steam
  4. Launch game and hopefully it works! If not look at long steps

Long Steps:

1. Check Event Viewer → Windows Logs → Application for LastEpoch.exe errors (search using windows)
  2. If you have ati64dxx.dll as the faulting module, then our issue was similar, if not I’m not sure but you can try the same steps
  3. Get the module path and open it in file explorer
  4. Go to Last Epoch on steam right-click → Manage → browse local files
  5. Find the .dll that’s faulting and copy it to LE game folder with the executable in it.
  6. Do the quick steps!

You do have to repeat the quick steps if game crashes on startup after launching successfully once, in my experience.

DiscordChatLog.txt (3.2 KB)

2 Likes

Neither helped for me. My issue is because of the nvwgf2umx.dll which is supposed to be related to NVIDIA drivers. Did also clean install of the drivers, clean install with everything closed, copying the the dll file into game folder or downloading new one into the folder.

Fortunately the game randomly starts after few attempts and waiting some time.

Another suggestion is doing the quick fix I posted and also trying different launch configs for the window size of the application.

Right-click LE in Steam Library → Properties → General → In Launch Options try “-window-mode exclusive” or other launch options (google to find the various ones)

1 Like

I have the exact same issue as you with the exact same dll faulting and I have tried the quick steps and long steps, even tried steam launch options and nothing :frowning:

this is incredibly frustrating and I hope the devs fix it soon.

UPDATE: after posting this I decided to update my graphics drivers (as I think I was running quite a few versions behind, I mean Baldurs gate 3 complained everytime I opened it about it(but still ran lol)…) and the game immediately launched. yay :smiley:

Same issue here. I have sent a report to the devs twice from different emails (even though I sent multiple follow-ups to the devs from the first email, I got an auto-response from them saying they hadn’t heard back from me).

I have tried fresh installs, updating drivers, multiple workarounds, nothing works. It will randomly launch here and there, but it’s like a 5% chance. I never had issues like this before the update, so it’s a spaghetti situation.

Another potential workaround is to try and launch the game from the EXE. I.e. launch Steam, but then instead of pressing PLAY in steam, find the exe in the install folder and run it from there.

This has worked for me on nvidia with the nvwgf2umx.dll error.

I recall that this was a problem many versions ago too and launching from outside of steam was a solution, so I am wondering if an old bug has wormed its way into the game again.

I have that dll error as well… launching from exe does not even work.

im trying a fresh install now.

Dont think I have a driver update, but I can check after this download finishes.

Quite a troublesome bug

Just bumping this, Driver updates didnt fix it.

Fresh install didnt fix it.

And sometimes verifying does not fix it. I tried all the steps in OP as well.

Seems to simply just be random if I am able to open the game or not.

@DiceDragon @vapourfire

Something you said above about it seemingly being random got me thinking.

It is a long shot but you can try verifying if ASLR is enabled and (if so) disabling it. ASLR randomises memory layout of your application for security reasons. Last Epoch uses il2cpp and it’s possible there is a bug which causes compatibility issues with ASLR in some circumstances. Normally, i wouldn’t recommend disable features which protect you from malicious software, but it is worth checking, even if only to feed that info back to EHG.

cant start the game at all since i bought it, pls dev do something

Hi. I am not one of the developers.

If you have tried all the troubleshooting steps above and none kf them worked, you can try reaching out to the EHG support team at https://support.lastepoch.com/hc/en-us

Please be advised they will ask you to do similar things as above (uninstall, verify game files, etc)

Good luck!

Always willing to test out a “left field” idea to get things working but unfortunately this on does nothing for me being able to launch from within Steam.

Even after 0.92b, I am still unable to launch from Steam - no problem launching directly from the EXE. Have additionally tried reinstalling Steam etc but nothing seems to be making any difference.

That sounds super annoying. :expressionless:

(Shame it didnt work)

Hey @Clem1 and @vapourfire

Somebody on Discord found turning off DEP helped, which definitely confirms my thinking above.

Same advice as above… not generally recommebded as it is a security feature. At least in this instance you can exclude Last Epoch specifically.

This guide has some instructions

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.