Poorly Telegraphed High Damage Abilities

4 years later, here we are.

All we need is a player outline. Well, some spells are definitely still problematic.

Some mtx could be an issue as well.

I’m having quite a hard time with telegraphs.

I think their animation and their damage are somewhat desynced.

Sometimes I happen to die to a telegraph that is still charging, other times I get hit by telegraphs after their animations have gone off and I get back into their areas.

Right now I got killed by one of Orobyss’ void bombs after it exploded and I walked back into the AoE.

1 Like

Good time of day team. Want to say due to specific tickrate or whatever technical part is it on servers, DOT damage does not look like an actual DOT, it ticks per second, so when there is a boss casting a spell or an attack which does DOT damage, you could not tell difference between what type of mitigation you might need to improve. I am not talking about ailment status but rather the spell itself which does DOT like toxic lake which some mobs throws and so on

1.0 changed visuals for elemental nova. It looks cooler, but also covers whole screen for my build, including any hints of incoming damage. So it became unplayable against bosses.

Playing with Frost Wall and Glyph, most of the enemies’ effects on the ground cannot be seen at all.
I searched for a “lower skill visual effects” option but I found none.

Yup, that’s how the damage is displayed, always has.

okay, it has happened too many times. I have been one shot by bats in the lightless arbor and it is the only thing killing me in there. they just use their scream or breath attack and I go poof. I should also note that this has only become an issue once I switched to online as the first time I completed the lightless arbor, it was offline and was both memorable and the spriggan in there is adorable. I would love to use the alternate leveling path and play through the lightless arbor again to help the spriggan. but these darn bats keep killing me.

Do you use dodge/block/glancing blow/armour as a significant part of your defences?

it isn’t something I am thinking about that much at level 20 which is when I went to run it, but I typically try and get resist then armor then health as my priorities.

Good day, in general i found that tnere are 10 situations where i die most in such a manner, some of it are easy to fix.

[1] Any case where an enemy mob dies off screen from a dot, and revives will allow it to snipe you, since you cant always be sure if its dead cause your kiting, applies mostly to casters.

Most worst offender are enemies will large aoes, as enemies will fire an ability off cooldown even if you dodge. And if said revive occurs after you dodge, you may end up being in a scenerio where one cant escape. A solution is simple, when a mob revives, they suffer 4s where they cant use anything, and then 3 sec of 90% dmg reduction to what they can do.

[2]: being clipped by a projectile after killing an enemy, their projectiles dont despawn, ice giants are worst case, as you can easily hit you by using it, moment before they die, and your right there. Because monolith immediatly kicks you on death, your loose said rewards.

Another example is any of the osprix that have a meteor like ability. You can be targetted of screen, dodge the blasr to walk into the other 4. Or just be hit cause you had a modifjer with enemy %cast speed increases

[3]: Any attack with lock on projectiles, most of these can hit through walls, and make many of my runs in soulfire bastion losses as you just cant out run them when 3-4 of them chain blast you.

The same scenerio applies to spells or beams or rays that are very wide in hallways where you cant react to enemy, as they already fired it, or will before your [safety tool] from behind a corner and you could not see them

[4] Husk of Gaspard, and Herot in particular as well as enemies with aura of decay like hits, may move so fast their hit boxe is unreactable, so they move of screen, and clip you with side. Even base, even worse id yoi got the unspeakable enemies %castspeed reduced

[5] any archer or assassin that jumps you with no indicator, and stuns you. Leading to being swarmed. Worst offender are stealth attacks

[6] enemies spawning from X/y and you have no way to know where rhey spawn, result is runninf into them, getting mauled

[7]: Bad Map terain is enemy number 1, the unkillable, as you can be running try to improvise on fly to dodge, and you cant path for some reason leading to you getting stuck and then instant death.

[8]: Any form of projectiles that are th3 same color as ground. They are offscreen jn the sense you CANT SEE THEM. Any void map is awful and the abomination type enemies that send liner attacks [purple bubbles]. Even worse when the above in scenerio 1-4 occur

[9]: Boss mechanics such as lagon just randomly shock you with lightning which can ruin your entire run as it can srop your teleport or iframe. This applies to any %stun, freeze, or blind modifers on enemies. They are off screen in the sense you ALSO CANT SEE THEM.

[10]: Any map where the modifer randomly drop a nuke on you. Mostly its fine. But if your having fast move speed, 1/2]0 will just hit you off screen.

A simple fix: let us increase rhe pov slider, and fix projectiles going through walls

1 Like

Hmmm I can’t comment much about the rest but for this one, Heorot has an animation indicator when he’s about to charge. Just make sure your traversal skill is ready before it happens. I never had issues with him in this matter. So just keep an eye of it.

And I do agree with the enemy Attacks and AoEs matching the ground color, can be really annoying.

And Idk if this falls in this thread’s category but some “Seal the X gate” monolith are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO badly placed especially when it forms a “C” shape because some tree or pillar or impassable terrain is blocking some side preventing access to it. Or if it’s placed in some “waffle”-ish terrain (maybe like Festering Sewers or that other “bloody-asterisk-shaped” map which I forgot the name of).

From the perspective of someone who first cleared both story and mono Lagon recently, his breath attacks feel weirdly telegraphed compared to everything else in the game. Those would be the cold and lightning beams that come out of his mouth.

Up to this point the game drills into your head to look out for high damage mechanics via big glowing indicators on the ground. Lagon’s breath attacks are meant to be one-shot in monos, yet they have no such indicators. This will feel frustrating for someone first fighting this, since they are looking for those big glowing indicators on the ground, not his animations. So even though the one-shot is technically telegraphed, it will feel as if it came out of nowhere. Furthermore, there are already similar one-shots that have these indicators. Lagons moon blast circle has it, so does all of the mechanics of mountain giant boss in Lightless Arbor.

Then once you are done with the boss and go back to farming echoes to fight him again, the game goes back to ground indicators and you have to recondition yourself to look out for the Lagon’s animations again when you are back at him. This feels jarring and frustrating. This mechanic definitely need ground indicators to be consistent with how the game shows danger anywhere else.

TLDR -
Virgin Lagon: Won’t tell you he has stinky breath unless you make eye contact
Chad Arbor Titan: Will declare how he will turn you from 6 foot 0 to 0 foot 6

1 Like

add THAT some of the mob attacks are telegraphed ok BUT there is like 0,001 sec time to react. Fix just increase the time gap to react

Husk of Elder Gaspar Tri-Beam ability speed needs to be reduced 50%.
I just want to get past this fight to continue enjoying the game.

Knowing that I can’t get past it makes me not want to keep playing.
I see no reason to make a new character because I will simply end up at this unbeatable boss.

1 Like

…That 1000s of players have beat, on 10s of 1000s of characters…

Some bosses seem impossible, until you figure out the trick that basically trivializes the entire thing (read as: Lagon). Gaspar is no different. Get more movement speed, plan for the beam – and avoid it – then soak (or shuffle-didge) the cold while dpsing the crap out of him.

not everyone has mario skills

even with maxed movement speed I cannot move quickly enough to keep pace with the beams movement in a circle

there is 2 things that happen either you get killed by the beam chasing you or you run into the beam ahead of you

I cannot get past this, it is literally an insurmountable challenge that I personally cannot beat. Congratulations to everyone who finds this a trivial challenge.

The key to that is finding how far out you need to be (from the center/Gaspar) to avoid this from happening. It’s the same thing with Rahyeh – The Black Sun Boss, and his Void Flare attack. You just learn how far out you need to (or can be) to not run into the next flare, and avoid getting hit from the flare behind you.

attempt 496, failed

I hate this so much

@DirePenguin isn’t the only one on that side of the fence, it really is about just running around him at the right distance. I’ve had characters that have struggled as I didn’t have enough movement speed so I stayed too close, and others that had so much that I had to stay far out. I died way too many times before I figured out how to deal with him.

It’s really about getting the movement speed and then keeping between two of the beams. You could also use a traversal (movement) skill to help with this.