Overall Linux Performance Issues

Last Epoch on Linux so far has been… Interesting… If you launch native with no launch parameters maps, loading screen animations, and certain interface menus do not work. If you launch with “-force-vulkan” it fixed minimap issues, improves performance (in my experience) but breaks certain menu items (buttons when in town are a weird transparent grey, and similar issues across other UI elements). Every time I reboot my PC and restart steam, it applies a 5GB update which when completed completely breaks my game… It’s almost like it’s applying the Windows Binaries when I update and it breaks. The fix is to switch to proton, then switch back to Linux native an wait 5 minutes for the binaries to be installed… Kinda annoying considering I need to do this 10 minute process every time I boot up steam… I know that there’s bigger fires going on with the Multiplayer having major issues, but please revisit your linux build as it clearly needs some work…

And before someone says “try proton experiemental, GE, insert proton version number here” yes, I’ve definitely tried that. But it’s a massive performance hit and it crashes after a half-hour of play…

Specs:
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Kernel version: 6.3.0-060300-generic
i7 12700KF
64GB DDR5 Ram
AMD 7900 XTX

1 Like

UPDATE: As of this week the issue of having to swap between Proton and Native seems to be fixed. The game always works after a reboot.

I’m playing on openSUSE with Native client and I’m not seeing any of the issues you’ve described. I do play with --force-vulkan as it does have a marginal effect on performance. Out of interest, what are the Minimap issues you’re seeing without this flag.

The only thing I don’t have on Linux is the option to select offline mode from the game properties box in Steam.

I compiled some of the new issues here last year. From what I can tell only the purple character select screen has been fixed with 1.0:

force-vulkan runs fine but has issues with 2d icons which I also recorded:

With skills being inactive in town hubs when playing online the bug also affects those icons.

Are you still having the issues you listed in the images and video? Were these with the Native client?

I don’t seem to have any of those problems with the exception of an occasional icon missing on the mini map, but that is not at all consistent.

Issues I have found are:

Steam:
The drop down list for choosing how to enter the game is missing. It only shows when using the Windows version with Proton.

Game:

• In online mode the latency figures are missing from the login screen and also in-game.

• Leaving the game always returns to the login screen or the play offline screen and not the character screen.

There are also issues with item information overlays taking a long time to hide, particularly in the crafting dialogue.

I also had a problem with mangohud and the sound driver. When mangohud was loaded the in-game sound settings lost the driver options. Removing mangohud fixed that.

Yes, I just tried installing and running the native linux client (patch 1.0.2.1) with the default OpenGL renderer and still encounter the issues I reported back then. The only issue that was fixed for me is the purple character select screen:

I fixed some/most of the water shaders in the past:

When running the native linux client with the vulkan renderer (-force-vulkan) I still run into the issue shown in the video above.

I also run into the latency not being displayed - same as you. What is interesting though: If I start the native client from terminal while steam is running (~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Last\ Epoch/Last\ Epoch.x86_64 ) instead of clicking “play” on steam the latency display works fine.

Getting these issues too, running Nobara Linux. The initial problem was that the loot filters I’d created while playing on Windows weren’t available on Linux. Discovered that was because of them being put in a separate location on my C drive (Steam is on my D drive on Windows). Tried to see if I could import them because for some bonkers reason my Linux install of LE could see them on my C drive and had set it as the default location for them. After I reinstalled LE it created the unity3d folder that it should have done originally, but it will only use that folder if I don’t use Proton, which means I get the issues with maps and such. I’m guessing that it’s somehow Steam related, but if I use Proton it will still see the folder on my C drive, even after I uninstalled LE on Windows and completely removed all the remaining files and folders associated with it.