Network lag/issues Megathread

I would love if it they acknowledged whether the flood of tiny UDP packets I saw in my network capture that went above 2000 packets per second is either 1) expected but it’s causing issues they didn’t foresee, or 2) not expected, and they’re trying to understand why it happens, or even 3) not what they think is happening to other players experiencing this issue, etc.

That level of engagement I think gets much closer to the issue than sharing videos of people getting desynced which at this point I think are very minimally useful. It certainly sounds like there are plenty of players here with enough technical knowledge to do some local debugging, but they need to give us a direction.

I’ve given up for now and am playing offline, which kind of sucks since now I have a split stash. Oh well.

2 Likes

Well said @ Darkvamper97

We need more constructive posts about this issue. We all are aware that there is large part of the player base is playing the game without a problem. But this needs acknowledgment from the devs. Because it is not a trivial issue.

I got this game back in 2019 and i wanna see it succeed. This is not steam review page where everyone bitch and moan, we are here trying to provide information as much as possible. Look how much info has been gathered without a direction, and now imagine how much more can be gathered if someone actually worked with these people.

3 Likes

Just Here to Pus 1, after 0.9g2 patch cant play at all, essentially opening the game kills my internet connection. And cant play even then LE-51 errors right away and games gets stuck there cant even play offline sadge :frowning:

1 Like

Im still experiencing desync and online mode issues while playing solo online after 0.9g2 im assuming these hotfixes were targeted at rollbacks and progression lost bug though.

Im still waiting in hopes the next patch will make it so I can play w/o having to constantly relog.

I’ve been playing on my Sorcerer for three days now and my third day has been riddled with connection issues (introduction of the new patch). After opening my second monolith, the server stops responding to my actions and i cannot play anymore. It does not matter if i use a teleportation skill or not, i still have the same issue (a fix that was suggested by others).

Hoping this gets resolved fast as this prevents me from playing the game.

1 Like

Linking these up for you:

I haven’t been disconnected but I am experincing a delay that is more like 250+ping even though I have 38 ping. I have 100mbit connection, wired, and have NEVER had an issue with an online game like this, so it’s not on my end. It’s really unsatisfying playing online when your hits doesn’t register straight away like they should.

This video illustrates it perfectly:

I wish the devs would adress this more, it should be their #1 priority before anything else right now. The game just feels unsatisfying like this.

Yesterday for whatever reason I’m experiencing way less desync than before. It still happens sometimes, seems to be slightly more common in the “survive X waves” maps and during the “charge the beacon” style map endings, but usually more short lived than before and overall way less frequent.

If I were to bet, I’d guess that the trigger for this behavior just became less common, but the bug itself is still around. Maybe that’s load on their servers causing the game to get into a packet sending storm and load is just better now. That would line up with others generally noticing that more monsters, more minions, more particles, etc. seem to accelerate the issue.

Mostly fine last night, and this morning (7am EST) suddenly quite a few desyncs in temporal sanctum. Hard to imagine the ISP or their east coast servers are overloaded at 7am though. No idea what the correlation seems to be.

It is still the same for me. Tried to lvl a new character. But nope cant :frowning:

When the game start to load a map, something i am watching from my network lags.

Hope they are aware and working on a fix even though they are very silent about this

1 Like

I saw the patch notes about rubberbanding being fixed but this is certainly not my case.

EU with 15ms ping. Mere running forward and spamming teleport or any other movement skill causes rubberbanding 100% of the time. I play HC only so teleport is a must. Just lost a lv 52 because of this issue.

I am talking about solo play as online character. In a group, it’s even worse. Something is seriously wrong with the netcode.

1 Like

This game will lose a substatial amount of players if this continues. The “beta” excuse only holds up for a certain amount of time (and frustration). I will play PoE when the new season starts. When I come back and LE is in the same state, I am sure that me and my friends will lose interest in this game. We’re avoiding multiplayer already, but the singleplayer is in a bad state as well.

I am going to have to agree with DNICE. Me and a friend were ready to do some mono’s together. He ended up quitting the game early because of massive visual lag spikes. Excellent ping. 5-10 second bounce backs that would kill him. about 30 minutes later while on single player. same thing was happening to me.

Same thing just happened to me and my friend. We’ve been playing fine for a few days now and all of a sudden today it’s unbearable.
Jumped on Diablo 3 and surprise, no issues whatsoever. Had a break, tried Last Epoch again, desync and rubberbanding galore, back on Diablo 3, no issues again.
People keep trying to blame it on the individual players internet, when we can play any other game without a problem so it has to be something with the game over drawing bandwidth or the servers themselves just not coping during certain hours.

I’ve had this same issue on my home machine. I have a steady 900 down/18 up connection. Constantly desync, only way to fix it is to log out and back in. The only solution I’ve found is connecting through my VPN. On VPN I have a steady 250 down/18 up, but can play for hours with no desync. I can’t figure out why that would resolve it but it’s irritating.

If it really is like that then the problem you have is routing. Google it, if you don’t know what that means - you likely get more technical and in-depth results when you google the term peering instead of routing. A VPN sometimes fundamentally changes the route to the targeted server taken - most of the time or ideally more directly.

But routing isn’t the main problem LE has and your issue is not the same that the majority of people with connection delay have. Currently it looks like LE is using a network library for Unity that isn’t being worked on anymore and doesn’t provide the networking LE needs. A user reported on it in-depth elsewhere in this forum.

That is very likely the main reason there are package-bursts causing lag and increased connection-time the more players are in your party (changing zones for example).

Thanks for the reply! Would the routing/peering issue by game specific though? Every other game I play whether it’s warzone, PGA, diablo, none have issues until LE. I figured it was a router setting at first, but when the VPN fixed it I kind of get stumped.

It wouldn’t be surprising if it is game-specific. AAA games usually host their games with a hosting partner, a big one. Their partners used to be Tier 1 carriers for the most part until Amazon and other cloud providers showed up. So essentially all the big players are grouped within some of those big providers.

Smaller games would likely use Azure/Amazon as well, but you never know. I am too lazy to fire up the game now and check to where it connects, but it would be common for them to host with a regional/local provider or a big, but not-that-big-provider to which your internet service provider doesn’t have a good peering. Problematic peering is more common than you might think, most of the time we just don’t notice it.

I’ll have to do some research on that. I’m in northern CA, and the VPN that resolves it is in LA. (I haven’t tried other locations) Thing is I love LE, so I’ll play it how it works but it would be nice to know what the real fix is. That’s why it’s early access, let’s help them make the best experience possible.

The other thing that a VPN does is change the size of the packets between your computer and the servers.

If youre getting a stable connection on a VPN but not off the VPN, your computer / router or somewhere between you and the game servers (Last Epoch uses Azure PlayFab and AWS) might be dropping the fragmented packets. Packet size is controlled by a couple of settings, notably:

• MTU and
  • Jumbo frames

I dont have the game open as im at work (nor do I experience this issue myself) so I cant test this myself against the specific servers right now.

Edit: if this is something you would like to investigate heres a link to a simple guide, which uses yahoo.com as the target server.

Ideally to test this you would check the server your game is trying to connect to in the player.log file and substitute the yahoo server address for that