Multiplayer Beta (Patch 0.9) Launches March 9th, 2023!

It is what it is.

The thing is, how they’re developing it, they’ve developed all the content for SP then spent the last ~9 months converting all of that content to work in the MP environment. So if they shelved working on MP until they’d finished adding the content, they’d never get MP finished. It’s, unfortunately, not just a case of copying & pasting the code from the SP version to the MP version.

2 Likes

Who are really suprised that StarCitizen will delay things again ? I mean… Last Epoch… my bad

3 Likes

People on this forums sure love throwing random numbers from certain places as the interest around MP.

I am glad that there is finally a date. At least now I know not to wait for it any time soon. Maybe if the MP increases cash flow, EHG decides to increase resources so we can get more frequent updates. I sure hope this indie slow development is not something planned for forever.

Regardless, no point on dwelling on these kinda stuff on an internet forum. I will just go play other things and follow development.

2 Likes

EHG already delivered dozens of updates within a 8-12 week timeframe before this one longer patch cycle.

I am very certain that they will return to that patch cycle timeframe once MP is out and in a stable state.

I don’t think new character skins, skill animations, Unique items, monsters + skins and maybe a slight round of balancing was relying on MP code. They could have done a content patch when they realized “oh shit, we still need another 5-6 months to get MP out there”, to appease the supporters who allowed them to get this far. Not everyone is excited for MP, and accepting the long, drawn-out drought of content as a result of it.

2 Likes

If that MP isnt ready to fly from the off when March comes around, the game will be D.O.A. considering the amount of time spent on it.

In the words of the great Sir Alex Ferguson “Squeaky Bum Time”

I am not as confident about that one as you are.
MP will launch no matter how hard EHG tries it will not be perfect and they will spend quite sometime hotfixing it unless they so what they always done - note issues / bugs and fix whenever they feel like doing so instead of asap. Imo 0.9.1 is like 6 months from MP launch or more.

2 Likes

We have to see, but I don’t think they need their entire/majority part of their dev team to deliver fixes after MP launch.

Also I am almost certain that some departments might also have done work for patches following 0.9, because not every department/dev can do stuff for MP.

I can see that the first weeks/months after MP launch will be primarily getting it INTO a stable state, but after that I would pretty much expect a regular 8-12 week schedule again.

2 Likes

Eh, I would imagine with MP comes an entire slew of additional headaches that have to be tested for. How does this interact with other players? Their pets. How does it impact performance if more than 1 person is doing it? How does if affect balance? Are there any wonky synergies we have to worry about, now that there are more than 1 person interacting with the environment/npcs? etc etc etc.

Sticking to the old patch cycle might prove problematic, depending on the size, and what, is being patched.

1 Like

Yes MP will bring its own issues with it and EHG already acklowedged that they will realisticlly not get “everything right”, there will be issues, there will be hiccups.

But you are speaking as if they are only devloping and putting MP out without any testing.
Hell they even had 4 digit CT testers applying to the CT programm a few month back.

And with the different events before the MP launch (both test weekends) I feel like they are aware, that there will be issues and they wanna fix them.

But with how much time they took for the MP I also just hope that they really took the extra time, because the end result will be as good as it realistically can be.

Maybe its even the opposite, because in the past they effectively developed 2 seperate clients (SP and MP) internally, so brinign new things out was double the work.

Now when they merged those 2 clients it might help them putting patches out faster.

Also they did a couple of “patch stress tests” during some of the previous patching cycles where they released multiple hotfixes over 1-2 weeks to test their capabilities.

So I feel like for small issues they might even be able to hotfix alot of stuff very efficiently.

1 Like

Great, this will give me time to play again witcher 3 Next gen which will be released on december 14th.

How can I try to play beta MP? or its just random selestion from all players?

They’ve not said yet.

From EHG_Steve in discord:

We have a deeper announcement on that coming.

Short answer:

Invite = Select small group. Must already own game. (Specific testing phase)
Week = Pack the server party. Must already own game. (Specific testing phase)
Open = Anyone can play. Do not need to own game. (Hold onto your butts)

1 Like

The multiplayer development seems like it cost this game about a year of new content development. Which sucks, because multiplayer will finally launch and the game will lack the new stuff that people get excited for.

1 Like

Dont know what it may contain eventually but Mike did say the following on Discord tho (29th Nov):

21:31*]* Mike W*:*

No, we haven’t set a date for the next major content patch after 0.9 yet. Just to be clear, 0.9 is a major content patch itself.

Spoiler alert:

Summary

It doesn’t.

It does.

‘Trade’ does not function, hence the comment.