Lvl 77 and Lagon just melts me

Lvl 80 MoF. I’ve read the guides and watched the YT videos and, for the most part, can pretty much dance around that nasty beam of whatever Lagon fires at you. I even managed to get to the 2nd phase where you kill tentacles and get teleported back to Lagon. After that though, there’s tidal waves that come crashing at you from both sides along with ads on top of Lagon’s normal routine… and even though I can manage to stay out of that nasty beam on 2nd phase, there’s just something that keeps melting me. My skills are set up exactly like Boardman21’s video says ("The Regifter" a 300+ wave/echo capable paladin that face tanks all. 0.8d Last Epoch - YouTube), and here is my gear: Gear Planner

My resistances are:
Fire: 75% (196%)
Lightning: 75% (155%)
Cold: 75%: (193%)
Physical: 48%
Poison: 75% (76%)
Necrotic: 41%
Void: 75% (125%)

I mean c’mon, I have attempted this 17 times and on each time it sets me back 4 echo’s. I’m to the point now where I’m so frustrated, I feel like rage quitting. Some of the prior posts I’ve read about this fight I keep seeing ppl say it’s all about timing and getting lucky. IMO… this boss’ beam of whatever is VERY over-tweaked. BTW… what damage type is it, and is there any defense for it??

Thanks for reading and forgive my frustration.

2 Likes

Youre getting critted, and you dont have enough health to tank it. You need atleast 90% crit avoidance, or a lot of health/ward. Or very good movement/player skill to avoid getting hit in the first place.

2 Likes

Ah, I’ll start crafting for crit avoidance. Thanks!

1 Like

Hey… I have a regifter build just like Boardmans and you are not using the correct build. The regifter is a health regen build that requires maxing health regen to be able to tank anything… I have easily cleared all MoF using it… Lagon is a wimp vs the regifter correctly spec’d

The key here is the unique items (swords/relics) to give you massive base health regen (Boardman gets to to 1500+ per sec if I recall). You are going for a leech which could work but your build is way to low health to tank for the second or two while your leech re-heals you. Imho you need at least 1500 health to be safer.

However, without following the build precisely - i.e. making your own variation - it definitely sounds like a one shot problem… if the gear planner is correct (i.e. your exact stats) then you have as Raidri says, a health problem. Its too low to tank a Lagon crit and probably too low to tank overlapping waves themselves when they come too fast. I bet even the sharks from the open area below have given you a scare. You definitely need to max out crit avoidance (probably more important than resistance caps) and you need to find some health somewhere.

You do not need to craft, there is a uniq body armor easy to farm, which gives you immunity to crit.

I didn’t know you could tank the damage! I figured since he is a god that attack is just an instant kill. Watching someone tank that is nuts.

Another instance of of showing how inferrior gods are to humankind… oh wait…

Well you clearly don’t have enough hp&sustain&damage mitigation. I tanked him easily with my self made variant of boardmans regifter build (using 2h, relying on leech more than regen, lots of armor via sigils etc.) So unless you can mimic boardmans gear on his build i recommend going for leech instead of hp regen. Also using dual wielding has it’s cons because you take more damage.

I’d say that you are lacking life leech since I’ve just beated it this morning on a crappy geared lvl 54 acolyte with no reisstances over 20% and 0 crit mit and 0 glancing blow.

But I have focused on life leech, healing effectivement and I had around 850 HP and 0 ward.

Ok, so here’s the deal… the whole reason I’m trying to kill Lagon is so that I can enter the Stolen Lance timeline so that I can obtain those 2 swords! Unless I’m wrong (which I probably am), the only way to get to that timeline is to defeat Lagon lvl 80 MoE. Please, if I can obtain the swords and bypass Lagon, I will.

Are you talking about Story/Questline Lagon or MoF Lagon? Yeah, sure, Storyline Lagon was easy.

The beam isnt meant to be tanked. It has a very clear telegraph that should allow you to side step it. Pherhaps you need more damage cause the faster you kill it, the less times you need to avoid the beam. if it takes you 5 minutes to kill him you may need to dodge the beam 50 times but if it only takes you 2 minutes, then you only need to dodge it 20 times

You can run the first Timeline(Fall of the Outcast) again and after killing end boss you get an option to unlock lvl62 (Stolen Lance) Mono, which you can enter from there

1 Like

Thank you. After a ton of grinding for that relic, I now have both swords and the relic. So, now I’m at lvl 79 with this new gear setup:
Gear Planner

… Lagon still 1-shot’s me. I appreciate everyone’s comments and help, but at this point it’s just no use. I’ll chalk it up to this still being in Beta and this boss seriously needs to get re-tweaked by the devs. Back to lvl 187 rifts in Wolcen.

Your welcome. I can understand your frustration about Lagon, even after 1300 hours in this game i can easily die to him with a melee hitting char because its so much harder than caster/range/minion builds. Mostly because you have to go in close and therefore its harder to see when his attacks starts, and also because he has such a large hit box that it can be tricky to click away from him without actually engaging him.
It can be done ofc, but i think the reason youre having such a hard time is your going for a build that requires some heavy gear to work well(unless youre very experienced in the game), and by that i mean your going dual wield without enough res/armor/regen/run speed (notice Boardman has 3129armor/max res/46 run speed/957 health regen), and no offence, but you are currently very far from that, and if you dont have the gear, a char with no dodge/block/low run speed and extra damage taken becasue of dual wielding will be very fragile.

Im not that experienced with melee sentinel, but currently my advice would be (for lagon fight) :
-lose the dw for now (so you dont take the extra damage)
-get a shield and respec to some block (to mitigate his physical attack)
-get cold/lightning/physical res to max
-get atleast 35-40 run speed+ (very important)

Im not familiar with this build, but im sure some experienced sentinel players in here could give you advice on how to respec it so it would fit your current gear better for this particular fight.

2 Likes

What are you getting hit by? Beam? Lightning slam?

Both those abilities are really well telegraphed. You stay in the middle and you watch his eye. There is a clear rotation of his abilities. You can completely dodge all of them extremely easily. I would not recommend tanking them.

Lagon isn’t about tank and spank. It’s about having good movement and about paying attention to what the boss does.

Beam. And yes, I duck, weave, dodge, but there’s always that 1 time where I may have been off my 100 milliseconds and just a hair gets hit by that beam and BOOM… it’s all over. I’ve gotten to the 2nd phase now with no issues, but those waves that come in from the side usually push me right into a perfectly timed beam avoidance maneuver… and those waves are just non-stop! I spent so many hours building this character and to hit this kind of wall sucks. I would love to re-spec or swap some skills around to try out different styles, but this game is FAR too brutal in letting you adjust anything once you’ve chosen it. Re-skilling or reallocating points into current skills is punishing beyond belief. Yes, Last Epoch says they make it this way because they want you to get “attached” to your character, so let’s just crucify anyone wanting to test out skills and builds. Ya know?

Anyway, I truly appreciate everyone taking the time to help and offer their advise. I know this Lagon topic has been hashed over and over, so again, thank you everyone!

You should be able to survive a couple ticks of the beam unless you are literally eating the whole thing. I have been hit by the beam and clipped by it many times and always survive by screaming in RL and spamming my pots (hehe). This is one of the reasons why I mentioned you have to keep track of his eye. When you know the beam is coming position yourself to the middle of the map. When he sweeps to one side, if you are on the opposite side you are 100% safe. If you are on the sweeping side you will always have enough room to run all the way to the edge and only take a couple hits of the beam at most with maybe spamming pots if needed.

Another suggestion if you need to survive a couple ticks of the beam is throw on a Prism Wraps, they will decrease the elemental damage you take by 30%. It should help since the beam from my knowledge is pure elemental damage (either lightning or cold or both) degen.

Lagon is supposed to be a mechanics check. A lot of his abilities are designed to be avoided and punishing if you fail. With how direct the animations are, I think this is fair. I have fought boss on every class, many builds (mostly melee), even on zdps builds, and I guarantee if you are being killed over and over by the beam it’s because you aren’t paying attention to the movement of his eye and positioning yourself accordingly. What makes this fight fun and rewarding is being able to meet the mechanic checks and successfully execute them for the kill.

PS - I would also like to mention, looking at your gear it looks like you are wearing a Bleeding Heart? Maybe taking that off would be smart for the fight. There isn’t much in the game right now to mitigate degen but a handful of “reduced damage taken” which are limited depending on your class, items you have and level. HP regen is the only other counter to degen, so if your Bleeding Heart is rolled badly it could be one of the reasons you are struggling to survive a few ticks. Could help to drop it for the fight and replace it with a crafted Oracle Amulet necklace with health and regen on it. It would really help your survivability

1 Like

There’s nothing brutal about respecing skills and passives. A few lvl 80-100 echos and you can get from lvl 10 back to lvl 20 skill in no time at all.

Passives cost a bit of money. You get that from the same echos. I’ve respecced 3 out of 5 skills at lvl 80, and in about 15-20 min I had my new skills at lvl 20. Whats so brutal? Like literally just kill the first 5-6 mobs from a high lvl echo and you go from 10 to like 15 almost instantly.

I would argue that respecing is very lenient in this game.

Fair enough. I’m mainly coming from other ARPG experiences D2/3, PoE, Wolcen, Grim Dawn, etc… Last Epoch is far less forgiving albeit, as you stated, not impossible and once you’re up there in those higher levels, not too bad to get maxed out again… at least how I QQ’d it to be. :stuck_out_tongue: