Lvl 77 and Lagon just melts me

I suppose you weren’t around for the release of Diablo 2 (2000) and played for the next ten years before March, 2010 when patch 1.13 finally added respec’s to the game. Before then, you couldn’t respec at all. I remember re-making a level 96 character just because I could gain 1 more attribute point. The character had to be perfect! :laughing:

2 Likes

Yeah, I was around (born in '73), but didn’t start playing Diablo until well into LoD

1 Like

Hey buddy,
People already gave great advices here. I want to summarise the most important and add my 2 cents.

First, I don’t know the build philosophy of the Regifter Paladin besides that it is stacking health regen.

But to survive and to have the regen refill your life bar, you need to survive the initial hits.

• Lagon is doing cold/lightning damage. You only have 30% mitigation. Get more res (also if it is only for that particular fight).

• Your max hp is way to low for 30% res. Around 1,5k would be ok

• Dual wield adds another 12% more damage taken. That is a lot. You don’t need to respec for shield or 2h. Just not use dw in that fight. Swapping in a shield alone will increase your survivability by a large amount. But 2h will be ok, too. Just don’t dw.

• DON’T TANK THE BEAM! If the waves in phase 3 distract you too much so you can’t concentrate on avoiding Lagon attacks, this is a result of your weak defence against cold. You need more res so the waves don’t mean a lot of harm. You can’t avoid Lagon attacks AND the waves. I had some builds with the same problem. More cold res and getting rid if dw will help

@Cujo already very well described what to do with your gear. I just don’t think it is necessary to actually spec into block. But if you feel it is needed, do so.

With 50-60% cold/lightning res and without dw you will already feel a lot tankier.

1 Like

The beams are relatively easy to avoid. If Lagon ducks down, he’s going to do the non-sweeping beam so you just need to move to the side. If Lagon waggles his head he’s going to do the sweeping beam & which way he sweeps depends on which side of the ledge you’re on, if you’re on the left side of the ledge he’ll sweep to the left, if you’re on the right side he’ll sweep to the right. The easiest way to avoid them is to stay a bit to one side of the centre-line then when he starts waggling his head you run to the other side.

1 Like

Get Movmentspeed … really.
And a movment skill!

The fight is 10 times harder if you have 0% speed.
Get some a t5 roll on boots and you will notice it is a LOT easier to dodge things.

The same build cleared it @ level 75 with 700hps regen. you HAVE to watch the signals to move away from the frost beam and nova. That will kill you for sure unless you are completely maxed out with avoidances and regeneration.

Sure… no point in doing a boss without learning how to easily beat him. :wink: But there are plenty of tanky builds that can take his hits and survive. I have done it with a SpellBlade Ward build (think it was around level 80 at the time) which could take his hits if I miss timed move to safety. Not suggesting the average build toe-to-toe the guy but its not impossible… :crazy_face:

Another defensively overpowered (or perhaps, “hyper-effective” is better) build.

Lunge has issues against Lagon. you can often get stuck if you use it in melee against him.

shhh… dont say it too loud… don’t want the nerf hammer to find it just yet… :wink:

I really think it is GREAT to have 2 or 3 bosses (other bosses need some rework then? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:) which constantly bring people to the point they’re open a new thread on this forum to disguss what to do next/now/better/ect.! :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

Like the mechanics of Lagon, its a gear and skill check, and you should not be able to “just” face tank a boss.

Lunge and Smite both. I turn off AUto Cast for bosses with those and use them only when it make sense / needed. They can launch you right into a nasty mechanic you won’t be able to recover from.

1 Like

no, 90% crit avoidence is not enough -any less than 100% and you may as well have 0% as you will still die to a random crit.

while 100% is definitely better than 90%. 0% is not the same as 90%. With 90% you’ll be able to go further on average as on average there will be 9 crits effectively reduced allowing 90% further progression on average.

1 Like

I refer to the fact that you get hit with hundreds of attacks along the way of doing stuff. Quite a few of them are going to crit, if even one gets passed crit avoid you will have a bad time.

And that means most of the time that you just instantly die from something you didn’t expect.

We can talk about how it is on average, but that doesn’t change that what kills you in this game is allways the surprise burst.

You can make the same argument about dodge but I don’t think I’ve seen anyone say that unless you’re dodge-capped you might as well have 0…

For 90% of the content, capping crit avoidance isnt necessary. The unavoidable attacks in the fight should not oneshot you if they crit. This may be unavoidable when playing an infinitely scaling mode like arena. But if a crit of a tidal wave oneshots you, you need more of something else. Having 0% or 50% crit avoidance in that fight is a huge difference as you can recover from a crit by leeching/reg or using a potion.

But if it really is the case that you can’t stand a single crit, I’d just put on a Woven Flesh for that fight.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.