Loot Filter should be higher priority

definitely.

Or… they colored tier 6’s and 7’s purple. How much coding would be required to color any item with a tier 5 on it different shade of yellow? How much coding would be required to color any item that drops with a rare affix a different shade of blue?

That would certainly reduce my troubles and definitely hold me over until their more “robust” loot filter is ready.

2 Likes

Maybe we just don’t see eye to eye and how rediculously easy it is to make a basic loot filter. I’m a developer, you can do it in a simple callback from the item stream, conditional check on the affixes you desire to be selected against the random generator results and pipe the output after. If we wanted to be really lazy we could also just highlight the color of the dropped text to be a desired item filter color rather than hiding non-match item drops and it could be done in 30 minutes. The whole point of modern development is rapid iterative process of putting whatever they have out there, we pick it apart, and they revise - rather than the previous development model where they sit in an ivory tower creating what they think is perfect and end up missing the mark substantially because the feedback loop is nonexistant - it’s simply I like this and I’m releasing it. Not asking for perfect I’m asking for a starkly missing component that prevents me from testing a recently released gameplay mode with some degree of fun.

This is a highly controlled early access context, if you were that concerned about reception put an experimental flag in the options with a long disclaimer about how this is something of the most basic sort until the real loot filter is introduced later in the development process. Make it a footnote in the release notes rather than something you hype up to manage expectations so we can actually play the gameplay mode that was just released without scanning junk for 95% of the time if one was playing idiomatic to design.

2 Likes

What may seem “basic, simple and modern” to you may not be so in the developers’ eyes.

If it really is that easy then I’m sure you could knock up the code in 30 mins and email it to them - we could have full implementation by 17:00

Yeah that would certainly help to see what might be worth picking up. I’m no developer so have no clue what is involved in doing something like that. Hopefully there might be something the devs could do that is a pretty straightforward change to make just to keep players happy until a proper loot filter can be included.

1 Like

I’d much rather they waited and implemented it properly, rather than a quick-and-dirty placeholder.

The positive feedback the devs have got from their Road to 1.0 post is a strong signal that - for the most part - players are willing to wait a bit longer for something better rather than rush things.

Delayed gratification, again!

The monolith rework was content, them then changing what happens when you die (only getting pushed back a few timelines) was patched in 0.7.9d.

I think the rework of the monolith its shifting of the player base to running monoliths and hunting for loot (dare I say, farming) has made the need for a loot filter more pressing. I’m sure the devs are now aware of it & hopefully they are trying to bring it forward.

I think removing the lower levelled bases would help but trimming too much loot from the game wouldn’t feel great.

I’m pretty happy as things are to be honest and I’m happy to wait as long as it takes. I was thinking more for some of the people posting in this thread that say they would like something to improve things now, even if it’s not a loot filter.

Yeah, it would need to be balanced around quality/quantity. We don’t want PoE level’s of trash loot where pressing ALT can crash the game but on the other hand it needs to be enough of a lootsplosion to keep you interested.

The reason I said MoF was a QoL update is because the MoF already existed prior to the rework. Just think about that. They are reworking existing systems in the game before even putting in things that are currently missing from the game. (Classes and the remaining Chapters)

Another example of QoL that was almost universally praised was the stash implementation. This was 100% not necessary at the time it was done, but it sure got people’s attention.

I don’t know a lot about coding, but it also seems on the surface that a functional loot filter would take much less time than a lot of the extra content they are adding to the game. Maybe the issue isn’t so much the difficulty of the task, but who would do it and what task they would be redirected from to do it.

It is when you start to criticize me having an opinion as if my opinion is worth less than anyone else’s. I also didn’t mean to respond directly to you in that initial post. I just hit the wrong reply button.

1 Like

It’s not what makes them the same that matters. It’s what makes them different. I have faith in you Llama…

Honestly I am ok waiting with a Loot Filter, but I will definitely play waaaaaaaay more when one comes out. As someone who doesn’t have the best eyesight, scanning all the items on the ground is a large visual strain. That’s why I spend most of my time hunting for bugs and errors rather than pushing chars.

1 Like

So because roulette is different to a slot machine it’s not gambling? Or like FIFA Ultimate Team packs “aren’t gambling” because they can’t be redeemed for anything of monetary value despite pulling all the same psychological levers that gambling does?

Something I just thought about and involve loot after a MoF.

I think it would be much better to have a massive Chest after a Quest Echo only (Or even every 5 echos) instead of 1 every echo.

I played enough echoes to realize than most of the chests are quite disappointing, the loot explosion is annoying to look at, and inspecting everything is not a option for me anymore. I even start to stop opening it.

But I only feel that way because it happen way too often.

If it would be a (larger) chest after a quest echo (every 5 to 10) I’ll probably be Ok to look at every items drop.

It is when you start to criticize me having an opinion as if my opinion is worth less than anyone else’s. I also didn’t mean to respond directly to you in that initial post. I just hit the wrong reply button.

No, I am throwing out there that there might be a reason why your opinion might be worth less while providing a valid statement behind it. That is not called singling you out, it’s called having a discussion. If you don’t agree with me, that is perfectly fine by me but to be clear if you assume some weird hostile intent to my statement it doesn’t exist.

QoL changes are like fixing character pathing or making objects drag more smoothly. MoF doesn’t fall under this umbrella because it was a massive update that added a massive about of content. MoF is supposed to be one of the end game features; i don’t know if it was just me but what they had before felt like a place holder till they were able to work on it to meet their desired outcome.

I think you’ve answered all your questions right there!

Agreed.

Please guys,

They are an indi company, continuing to develop and release content and updates despite the current state of the planet.

Does that need repeating?

Give them a break, ffs.

2 Likes

This is not a pressure to release loot filter now.

We are just making clear why it would benefit EA to have it sooner than at the end of the development cycle.

1 Like

I personally would like them to make a simple loot filter and iterate on it - as there is no way they can satisfy everyone unless it somehow allows the same level of flexibility as PoE with the ease of use of Grim Dawn filters. And I HIGHLY doubt that anyone can accomplish that.

Aside from a thread literally asking for all the things people want from a filter there is no way for them to know exactly what is needed without gradually iterating on it.

1 Like

Lootfilter or riot ! :rage::anger:

1 Like

This is neither constructive or helpful to the discussion. I’m sure the devs have read this thread but they are a small team and the game is in early access. Please be patient and give them a chance. We are still missing some major aspects of the game and a loot filter is not at the top of the list at the moment.

2 Likes

How big of a team made Neversink’s loot filter? (not rhetorical does anyone know?)

I seriously doubt his intentions are to actually start a riot. Every person who’s paid their money in this early access has every right to vent their frustrations in playing a game with a loot system that is predicated on hard to spot affixes in a sea of otherwise worthless loot.

Me too. I’ll wait as long as it takes. But I won’t be playing it/play testing it until the loot filter arrives.

1 Like