Loot Filter should be higher priority

That is your subjective opinion from what you want. The game is bigger than just loot

Wrong. This is not an opinion of what people want. It’s what the game needs. This is an ARPG, a game genre that lives or dies by its loot. That is the entire point of the genre, as much as I wish it weren’t the be-all-end-all of these games. If the grind for loot is unsatisfying, it needs fixing a.s.a.p.

2 Likes

I think KissingAiur was talking more about developer priorities than loot per se.

We all want loot, and as you said it’s what drives us to play more. And a loot filter will not change what drops, just what you see on the screen.

KissingAiur was saying there are more pressing priorities for the devs than a loot filter, that’s all :slight_smile: he was remarking on darkdeals priority for having loot filter in place -

“One man’s meat is another man’s poison”

1 Like

Loot is one of the major pillars of any aRPG, along with the flow/feel of combat and how shockingly bad your writing is (if you’re D3).

But the flow of the game, as Llama8 mentions, is disrupted by the fact that loot explosions happen and then you have to spend ages trying to sort through it all. This is a major sin to ARPG players, and might drive off those who were looking to possibly support development through the supporter packs.

I want to see this game succeed. It’s leagues ahead of wolcen when that game was released, and it’s still in fairly early development, which means it’s got great potential. But adding early QoL to keep the support going strong is something that should be considered.

2 Likes

Yes, for a complete game. I like to remind everyone that this is a small team of developers and this is still beta where core classes are yet to be added. Where core abilities are yet to be added. Where zones, end game changes, legendary gear, bosses are still actively being developed and waiting to be launched. Loot filter is a function that the developers said they will add but I just feel like the community is so impatient. I can guarantee there is more pressing development concerns than QoL looting.

I know this is going to get me raked over the coals, as it were, but this kind of rhetoric (NEEDS, NOW, DEMAND, I"M LEAVING THIS GAME) always makes me question if people understand the term Beta.

Some diehard players on here may other than those already mentioned may have said a loot filter is needed, but they don’t demand the devs drop everything to stick in a rudimentary loot filter that they may have to go back and completely redo when more of the game is released.

Grim Dawn didn’t have a loot filter for the first three years AFTER it’s release. LE has said there will be a loot filter BEFORE release. Given some of the rhetoric here it seems they’re damned no matter what they do.

If not having a loot filter is 'KILLING THE beta version of a GAME FOR YOU" that’s totally fine. That’s a personal thing.

And this is not really directed at the OP, but it seems every time one of these posts comes up the screamers and shouters start showing up because they louder you are the more you’ll get your way.

And yes, the game needs a loot filter. I know it’s coming so I’m good.

4 Likes

I’m fully on board with the loot causing the flow of the game to be cumbersome and often annoying. It gets to me aswell sometimes.

I’m an old D2 player, - played them all - recently(ish) dropped 400 hours of Wolcen to play 867 LE.

Loot being so intricately linked to crafting is both very interesting and at the same time utterly tedious and annoying. It really does slow me down. Single rare affixes on blues having (for me) a better chance of getting a shard from shattering than the same affix on a yellow.

I’m sure that all the loot issues will be looked at … low base items, filter, show tier levels, crafting success and complexity etc … and I’m confident that the devs will get around to addressing them.

Still … I am thoroughly enjoying LE and have no wish to go and play any other aRPG. It has a “certain something” that other aRPGs have been missing over the years, I’m encouraged by the development and see a bright future for LE.

It does have it’s issues. The devs do read the forums and the filter will get done I’m sure.

Some fully released games took months - sometimes years, sometimes never - to address player issues.

1 Like

The thing i don’t understand is how are people not considering the loot filter at least a priority in general for the game at this point.
How am i supposed to test the endgame for example and give feedback, because after all this is a beta, when i cannot motivate myself enough to explore the endgame, when the grinding for gear(core part of an arpg) is so utterly dull right now?
Can anyone imagine playing now from scratch Grim Dawn or PoE without a loot filter?
I won’t argue if it is a top priority or a low priority or whatever. But yes it is needed and it is a priority(low or high).
I watched @Thyworm 's video and i think he is very much on point.

@Madriax I felt the same “certain something” on this game instantly when i played for the first time. And i am more than happy with the development process so far. Honestly. Great constant patches, great communication. I mean you cannot ask much more from a dev team. That’s why i am giving my honest feedback right now, because i see the LE icon on my desktop and i don’t double click it to play the game.

1 Like

I said it was my opinion, just as it is your opinion that it isn’t a priority. (Saying ‘subjective opinion’ is redundant btw).
I also find it funny that of all the people here demanding a loot filter, you single me out, and I said that it isn’t top priority. I would much rather have all the classes in the game.

This is an open beta. Everyone can play. When the game is open to be played by everyone, there should be some concern for player retention. QoL is a MAJOR part in player retention.

If you really wanted to get down to priorities, the dev team has already shown they are okay with QoL. The entire rework of MoF was QoL. They are missing classes and storyline chapters. You can argue that MoF needed worked on prior to having a finished product, but how is it a higher priority than actual missing parts of the game?

1 Like

I feel like they are waiting for a community developer fan to make one for them at this point.

But instead of waiting for one, a easier and faster solution for a place holder would be to have way less low level base dropping at high level character.

2 Likes

I would be surprised if they let a non-employee monkey with their code.

Anyone who doesn’t work at 11th hour is a monkey (that is how I read this the first time).

2 Likes

I also find it funny that of all the people here demanding a loot filter, you single me out, and I said that it isn’t top priority. I would much rather have all the classes in the game.

So commending on your reply to my post is now singling you out? I am confused here. I just simply replied to your comment that i think its little bit ridiculous that people are demanding a loot filter when there is large parts of the game missing that are higher priority.

If you really wanted to get down to priorities, the dev team has already shown they are okay with QoL. The entire rework of MoF was QoL.

Where did I say the developers aren’t interested in QoL changes? They have done QoL changes throughout patches all the time. That isn’t my argument, I am saying they are lower priority, as they should be and players should be more patient because for example, working on stuff like releasing a smooth Multiplayer system this year system is extremely more pressing. Also I don’t think MoF actually qualifies for QoL. It was a massive endgame expansion with unqiue rewards, bosses, unique zones, time lines and story.

BAZINGA!

1 Like

So I’ve thought through this a few times and here perhaps would be my rebuttal -

The monolith and arena and essentially a story mode/game in of themselves. The story of monolith is twofold - complete all bosses/empowered timelines and then eventually push lvl 100 timelines as deep as possible. That’s a story of your mastery of mechanics and character build. This story/game at minimum is like 50-200 hours with a loot filter the average classic D2 veteran could spend spend and enjoy doing with the essential archtypal variety of talent personalization and gearing options available.

The second end-game story/game within the game is pushing arena. Mostly same value propoisition and structure as the former game Again another probably 20-50 hours for the average player.

The third story/game within the game is playing through the mainline story, which took me I think about 8-10 hours.

What’s going to have the biggest impact on the funding and success of this game is a consistently engaged playerbase that is always trusting of the developers to prioritize features well and few periods in which any one of these stories is rolled out hapharzardly in way where completeing them does not worth it. That’s all there is to it. They rolled out the foundation of an entirely new game-mode which sets up big expectations and is very hard to smoothly release out the door and I’m not up and arms about the fact they messed up not including a loot filter but it was a mistake and a deperature from the otherwise smooth expansionary modules they have made to the story in my experience.

So far the primary story of the game as they have rolled it out was fun to play through and they have done a good job of expanding it over time, I look forward to all acts being finished, but in the nature they have managed delievering it I have absolutely no issue. On the otherhand they are asking people to test an end-game system which is not a self-contained “complete” module in the sense that every veteran has come to associate a loot filter at minimum a nessecary component to accomplish the 50 hour baseline end-game story in a way that is fun and feels worth it.

So that’s the rub. This is why in the OP I tried to really focus the issue of the loot filter timeline an issue with the monolith system rollout, these really should of been a package deal and everybody would of been over the moon happy. I would of much preferred hearing of the monolith news a month later, coming to test the game, and be playing through a stage 40 timeline but nobody is perfect and my only hope is that they see this thread and learn from this rollout.

1 Like

I have to disagree. No, they would not have been over the moon, they would just have another thing to complain about and ragequit over because it doesn’t work exactly as their vision of it You end up with 50 versions of a moon and 37 ways to travel over it.

There were issues with the monolith implementation which took a couple of hotfixes to address and we still have boss mechanic issues.

Adding in a loot filter at the same time would have been a nightmare to implement.

Imagine all the comments about “this loot filter is s**t” … “I’m quitting until it’s the same as PoE” … “LE sux coz of filta” etc … etc … etc … all this completely overshadowing the efforts the devs put in with monoliths. Oh the whinging and the whining!

As an aside and an example, here is a joke …

There was an old bull and a young bull in a field on a hill, overlooking a whole field of cows.
“Let’s run down there and f…k a cow” the young bull says.
“No”, says the old bull “… let’s walk down and f…k them all”.

Well I feel like I laid at a cogent criticism, not really too encouraged to entertain a disagreement based on “No” and the expectation that whatever loot filter they would of released with the monolith expectingly would of been bad? If what you say was true then why bother releasing anything.

1 Like

First off, none of this is personally directed at you :slight_smile:

It happens quite often that game developers try to do too much at once, try to release to a sales department deadline etc or some other arbitrary factor … has to be released by xmas … needs to be released to coincide with sports event xyz.

Trying to get too much done at once can lead to major problems later … and staged releases help mitigate this. It happens all the time and many failed games succumb to trying too hard to please everyone and then fail to satisfy the majority.

Road Map to 1.0

Why didn’t the devs just wait 4 months and release monoliths, loot filter, shiny sparklers, 14 new character types and models, 317 new unique items, an overhaul in crafting etc etc and do them all in one release? If they can release 2 things at once (monoliths and loot filter) why not release 43 things at once?

Everything the devs release is laid bare to both fair and unfair criticism by people who have no idea of a development process. This is a general thing across many, many games. People with little or no knowledge overestimate their abilities.

My point was not to attack you or your cogent criticism … but to point out that adding a loot filter at the same time as new monoliths would not have made people over the moon happy and would just give the idiots something else to pick apart and moan about because no matter how it is implemented, there will be those who it doesn’t satisfy and “think they know better” because they are under-informed, over-confident in their viewpoint, think a bit of scripting is “creative development” and have been allowed unfettered access to a keyboard without adult supervision. (harsh - yes, cruel - yes … but true).

cf Dunning-Kruger Effect.

More (quantity) does not equal better (quality).

We may get the most perfect loot filter in the world (in the devs view) and be utterly pants for players … or the opposite - trying to satisfy loot filter shenanigans and the personal visions of players causes delays and knock-on effects for other areas of the game.

Delayed gratification - hence the bull joke.

This is a really good suggestion and would help a lot. Far too much loot drops and far too much of it is very low level.

Make less loot drop overall and make the loot base types that do drop much closer to the characters level.

definitely.

Or… they colored tier 6’s and 7’s purple. How much coding would be required to color any item with a tier 5 on it different shade of yellow? How much coding would be required to color any item that drops with a rare affix a different shade of blue?

That would certainly reduce my troubles and definitely hold me over until their more “robust” loot filter is ready.

2 Likes