Level 100 and the time it takes to get there

After all this discussion, I’ll just wait and see what will be at release…
I’m not sure this game is for me… it seems as it was for me Grim Dawn… a very damned fun and well done game, but terribly slow to cap the toon (and too much ripetitive there).
In the end after playing 2 chars, I start to “cheat” with mods and it was not fun anymore so I quit it.

…then threatens to not play if his conditions aren’t met. Gotta love this mentality.

That being said, I’m indifferent to either way. I find xp penatlies annoying, but at the same time add an element of thrill to the game when tougher encounters are present. I also really liked the Sacred 1 model of an increasing gold/magic find bonus for not dying.

However, given both systems, I have found myself pushing harder content, even with an xp penalty. While with the scaling reward model, I found myself favoring extreme caution because it took way longer to build up that reward than to regain a static xp-loss.

Hmm… saw this kind if suggestion a few times now. I don’t think its necessary as a global mechanic.

This already is the core mechanic of the monolith: you get increased xp and mf modifier, when you die, it’s gone.

I guess when new endgame modes are implemented they each get their own reward/failure mechanic.

I like it when the different modes also have different reward systems.

1 Like

Yeah, variety is good.

I think there should be a death penalth on XP, and you should go be send back in town when you die.

Today you ressurect to the way point or a close point. It’s too easy. Players has to avoid dying, and feel delicious risk. It’s the core of this kind of game!

In D2 you had a XP penalty, get back to town, and you loosed some gold too.

No, play hardcore then.

3 Likes

I have to say, I do like this idea and in a way, it kind of adds to some more “endgame” challenges. The casual players can go casual or say “F it” and go for a tougher play level and see how it goes. While the others who want the tough challenges can select the ultimate tough level challenge.

edit: also while adding increasing gear find % and gold % drops. After all, with more gold you can buy more tabs!

Hopefully this becomes a topic the devs are open to having votes on.

A death penalty (exp) can be implemented in a way that stalls the game for some, or more consistently affects everyone. I would be interested in knowing what the devs believe is the intent of a penalty. If it is risk vs reward, then how is that intended outcome achieved at level 100 unless a player can de-level from death? If it is intended to make death be of a constant concern with a sense of loss, then I think the community has provided various ideas for the devs to consider.

For a casual gamer such as myself, I found the exp penalty within PoE (as of a few years ago) to be very unforgiving around 95 (never made it past 95 or 96). Sometimes death was stupidity, lack of skill versus the level of difficulty and sometimes it was lag or other real life causes.

Devs cannot please everyone, but hopefully it is at least community driven so we can know that what we ended up with is what players determined to be the best implementation of the devs’ intended goal.

~Phatsacks

2 Likes

I will have to agree, an xp penalty would not be a great addition to this game, both arena and monolith encourages you play until you die, penaltys are for hardcore players, and well they allready have hardcore mode :slight_smile: what would be a better solution is to implement another endgame grind ontop of the lvl 100, like grim dawns Constellations, or some “paragon” diablo3/borderlands3 like system, that makes character progression stretch alot further than just levels.

2 Likes

Not sure I follow this comparison. The devotion system in Grim Dawn would be closer to the Passive skill trees in this game, in that the constellations you pick grant you further stat bonuses (along with a devotion skill, which I can’t think of a comparable in this game). I would not classify a core mechanic of builds in GD as an ‘endgame grind’ especially since you can gain the majority of devotion points in just Normal difficulty alone (provided you own all the DLC’s).

Also, this would have to be something planned from the start. The whole game would basically have to be re-balanced if such a system was implemented here.

The problem IMO is the death penalty ends up inspiring far more cautious gameplay depending on the types of threats in the game.

In PoE, you can be running a fairly tanky build—one good enough to farm high end bosses consistently without dying, and still die to a porcupine out of the blue. At lv99, that’s massively discouraging. Realistically if you want to hit 100, you spam breachstones in groups and take no other risks.

Personally I found the particular balance of the death xp penalty in PoE to be too stressful for the satisfaction gained. Maybe it can be better with a different balance (i.e. smaller penalty) but for now I’m glad the game doesn’t have it.

3 Likes

I know that most of people find it pretty lame, but I really liked the paragon system from Diablo 3 (with cap of 100, not this bullshit with 3k paragon level). It was quite hard to get and it really prolonged endgame for me.

Maybe consider implementing something like to grind after lvl cap? :wink:

2 Likes

Maby i should have written it differently, what i meant was something “similar” to constellations could be a cool endgame grind, and it dosent have to be the excact same thing, just some endgame grind ontop of the levels, a way to progress your char beyond level 100.

You’ll have to be very careful with that since your main end game (Arena) is designed to be played as far as the player can take it until he or she is killed. You are basically supposed to die in Arena! And you can’t break off and resume later when you feel ready. Compare to PoE for example where the player is free to take on the end-game in stages as he feels ready.

And I agree with the guys above, an XP penalty for death is not good game design.

1 Like

Yeah, IMO the current death penalty is fine (with the end-game as it is given that’s not what the intended end-game is).

2 Likes

Thank you for this post, i guess i’m done with Last epoch sadly i have no interest in death penalties, seems i wasted my money on this game and i’m not impressed on the direction this game is headed… The skill resets are already penalty enough imo i really have no interest in punishing mechanics in my gaming experience…

This game needs difficulty modes badly or it’ll do poorly at release.

Ah well just cannot find a good arpg these days, back to torchlight 1 i guess… Wish i’d known this before i bought Last Epoch.

1 Like

Already got one in HC :wink:

If the DP was exp, it’d be meaningless at lvl cap (obviously).

And if you do put one it, don’t forget to double it for Maso toons. Turn that screw.

Just double? Shouldn’t dieing in Masochist uninstall windows & then reformat all of your drives before kneecapping you?

1 Like

Could you add the death penalty such that if one of my characters dies, one of Boardman’s gets deleted? That sounds fair to me & it would take me a while to get through his characters.

2 Likes

“You died” - 122 x :mushroom: left