LE trading is dead to me

Neither is RMT

Theres nothing to fix

1 Like

Of course not. It’s not like the T in RMT stands for trading or anything :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s nothing to fix if you’re one of the people playing the market or are knowledgeable enough to avoid its traps. If you’re a newer player you get scammed regularly into selling stuff way cheaper.

2 Likes

It kinda is, it’s just that half of it (the RMT bit) is outside the game.

They announced gifting at least a year or two ago (though annoyingly I can’tfind the post), the community reacted… poorly & then they went back to the drawing board. I’m sure it’s been significantly more than a few months.

Or you have difficulty buying the stuff you want because everybody is too busy in maps to respond to “low value” trades (which is fair enough).

Auto-completing trades would help price fixing but not sniping.

1 Like

That is true, but one of the reasons sniping is so effective is because you always have someone selling an item that is worth 100c for 20c in the hopes that noobs will also sell for that price. If trades autocompleted then you wouldn’t have that and new players would sell closer to the real price.

1 Like

It was just about 0.9, but people lost their shit cause emotions > reading. :laughing:
Found it after some digging:

1 Like

I thought it was longer than a year ago. Maybe I’m thinking of the “Earlier in the year, we said that trade wouldn’t be included in patch 0.9” comment from Trasochi in that post?

Well, if you’ve got the time the nearly full timeline of trade that we knew and were presented is mostly documented in the A Brief History of Trade thread. From there we got the Item Gifting Dev Blog which was presented as the only version of trade we’d see and went against all expectations up until that point. Clearly that didn’t go over very well and EHG decided to collect player data concerning trade in the LE Trade Survey. Then, finally we got the version of trade that we know today in the first Item Factions Dev Blog.

But, what I think you’re likely thinking about is the Multiplayer FAQ, which stated that item gifting would be coming. That thread was created July 20, 2021.

3 Likes

I’m also against the one-time purchase restriction. I understand that this step against resellers, but is not it easier to make it so that the item can be sold many times but for a price no higher than the price of the original purchase. For example, I bought a sword for 1 million gold and for whatever reason it did not suit me. So let me again be able to sell it, but I can not put the price above 1 million. This way there will be no point in reselling items to enrich themselves, and there will be protection from accidental fake purchases.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Buying and selling will also grant you ranks in the faction, or give you progress for it, so allowing reselling, even for the same price, could simply lead to you and a friend buying and reselling the same item between yourselves over and over to bump up your ranks.

I agree that a refund option would be nice, but reselling is not.

Here’s what I want/need from a trading system…

1. I want to be able to give my friends everything and anything I find regardless of who was with me when it drops.

2. If something nice drops that neither me or my friends need, I want to be able to give it away freely to anyone in chat who wants it. I mean simple little things like a Squirrel Hat with 0lp. I also want to freely give away the huge stock of such items I currently have saved in my stash for precisely this purpose. I am a very altruistic player and like making new friends by helping people. THIS IS VITALLY IMPORTANT for a good solid community.

3. I want to be able to buy freely from the trade market and give the items I buy freely to any and all of my Alts regardless of what faction they are in.

4. I want to be able to sell anything that any of Alts finds, regardless of what faction they are in. (This one is not so important as all the others above because it unlikely I’d want to part with something really really nice, but it’s still important).

All of of these are very simple things that I think are fair expectation from any decent trading system (especially 1 and 2 which are incredibly important), and if there is one thing or more on this list that I cannot do with the new system, then it is a FAIL from me and not fit for purpose.

So, basically, what you want is the toxic trading/RMT system that already exists since D2 and continues on until today’s PoE.

Personally, I’m kinda excited to finally have a trading system that is simply a tool to help me get gear, rather than an endgame system to get rich. I’m also excited to finally have a trading system where I don’t have to be afraid of getting scammed and don’t have to pay attention to the market trends to see if someone’s price fixing, or if someone is selling something with 1/99 for the price of 99/99 stacks. And I don’t have to keep on my toes in case the trader wants to remove the item a split second before I accept the trade.

In D2/PoE and other ARPGs, trade is a core part of the game. In LE it’s simply a tool to help you get gear.

5 Likes

Could not agree more. The trading system is absolutely one of the biggest delights in playing PoE. If you have the currency you can buy what you like when you like, no questions asked.

As it should be.

I do not consider it remotely toxic, it is fantastic. One of the best things about PoE.

By currency I assume you mean real money. Yes, if you have the $ or the € or the £, you can buy anything, no questions asked.

As it shouldn’t be.

2 Likes

nah, people WILL price gear such to it makes a profit. If they cannot sell in bulk they will price each piece at a lot.

Absolutely not. I mean Orbs etc. In PoE, you trade with Orbs that are the equivalent of Runes and Glyphs in LE. I played PoE for thousands of hours and built up Orb wealth precisely so I could buy what I needed. It was very hard work but was what kept me playing the game for so long.

And nothing whatsoever in this new system will prevent RMT.

Read my 4 top needs again. Which one of them involved exploiting the system to get rich? NONE of them. If you are talking about gold wealth, I am already rich, sitting on millions. These are just basic trading needs for me to enjoy the game and help out other players and feel good.

No, in PoE “currency” refers to usable items that consume themselves to do something. Which drop during gameplay.

Chaos orbs(the main trade item for cheap things) reroll rares, Divine orbs(currently the main trade item for expensive things) reroll the actual rolls of affixes within their current tier(and thus enough of them can be used in order to get perfect rolls on uniques)

The fact that the currency gets spent prevents inflation

1 Like

I actually find the PoE system incredibly clever. The fact that Orbs etc have actual use gives them real perceived value and thus they are a legit meaningful currency (unlike gold). It’s genius.

1 Like

No they mean currency ingame…

Some people like to farm currency and trade it for more gear, its the fundamental end game aRPG loop for most players

I agree, it actually makes every other system obsolete imo

1 Like

We REALLY need gold sinks in the game besides vendors with crappy items and that one dungeon.

2 Likes