LE trading is dead to me

The only thing I think that trade needs (at least I haven’t seen anything about it) is a way to return items (not resell). Basically, you’re looking for something and you see an item that looks like what you want but you didn’t notice something and you can’t use. Maybe you bought an armor that is rogue only and you’re a sentinel, or you were looking for health regen and bought effectiveness (maybe you misclicked the filters).
Rather than getting stuck with an unusable item and down the resources, there should be a way to undo the sale, where you get your resources back and the item itself goes back for sale. Maybe add some time limit of maybe an hour to be able to do this and don’t actually give the gold to the seller until this time expires.

Other than that, I’m really happy (in theory) with the way trade works. No more toxic markets where you try to buy stuff and the top 20 people don’t even reply to you because they’re price fixing, no more scammers that try to remove the item just before you click accept, etc.

3 Likes

Which would prevent Bronco from trading which would make him sad. What’s your point?

IMO, that falls under caveat emptor, and while it sucks when it happens, the only thing the game needs to do about it is provide buyers with a very clear UI so that any mistakes that are made are their own.

+1

7 Likes

So they want to trade but only the way THEY want to trade, everyone else cant use the system fully. Bought an item and used it and dont need it? cant re sell it. Its scummy. LOL what a tool

I can trade with my friends after getting some resonence and that’s all I wanted ingame.

2 Likes

If this were the case, you would be able to… /gasp!.. roll a toon that the item would work on. Just because you can’t sell it again doesn’t mean you can’t stash it and use it on an alt. Maybe the alt would become your new main? As far as I have seen, there is no ‘bound to character’ like in WoW / D4, so you would be able to utilize the misbought item on another toon.

2 Likes

It isn’t scummy. It prevents people from making the market artificially inflated and unaffordable to literally everyone else. Having a market where only the 1% can afford to buy stuff doesn’t make it fun for anyone.

Think of it like WoW. Before ‘auctionator’ got introduced as an add-on, the WoW auction house was affordable. After auctionator got intro’d , people could play the market like stocks and buy/sell to maximize profit, yet limitiing access to valuable resources for everyone else.

2 Likes

IMO, that falls under caveat emptor, and while it sucks when it happens, the only thing the game needs to do about it is provide buyers with a very clear UI so that any mistakes that are made are their own.

Make it so that it highlights the class in the UI for the item. if the class doesn’t match your current class, it highlights it red. If it matches the class you’re currently on, it’s green. If it matches a high-level alt of yours, it’s yellow. Problem solved?

1 Like

Nah, easiest solution is a warning when purchasing an item you cannot equip. FFXIV does this for their auction house and it’s helpful and not very intrusive.

1 Like

So is sniping & taking advantage of people who don’t know better (pricing). “L0l”

No, resonances allow you to gift an item if the other person wasn’t playing with you when it dropped. MG allows you to trade with your friend (assuming they also chose MG and you both have the favour for the trade).

There isn’t.

That’s how the stash currently works for class-specific items. The game can’t know whether you want to use any given item.

MS Office also had an “unobtrusive” “helper” for simple tasks, it didn’t go well.

1 Like

This is the most absurd take I have seen about anything in weeks. “The portion of the population that doesn’t impact how I play STILL won’t impact how I play, and never did to begin with, so I’m mad and throwing a fit on the official forums.” What are you even talking about?

3 Likes

Even better, you can freely give items that drop while you’re playing with them without needing to use resonances. You just need a resonance if you want to give them something that dropped when you weren’t playing with them.

Some people are being overly harsh to the OP as they certainly aren’t alone in wanting a limitless trade. They just kind of worded their post in a way that invites conflict.

With that said, I’ve been advocating for GGG to add bind on trade/transfer to POE for years. I think the negatives of item flipping, and thus market manipulation, far outweigh the benefits of limitless trades.

And the fact that EHG was able to so quickly come up with such a clever and innovative solution after strong feedback was very impressive.

The only negative I see with the systems is that CoF benefits people that group up all of the time far too much and so if I go CoF it will be on a solo only ladder to avoid that if I care about leaderboards.

3 Likes

It’s taken them a couple of years.

For me remain to be seen.

But losing favor due to undercutting and not able to trade mats or change the price that the item is listed without paying extra favors is just a big downside.

But on the bright side if this trade system fails i will appreciate even more POE and they way they balance the game around trading.

And if it succeeds?

Not sure how u say will succeed when u can" trade" items in cof also by gifting. Just more steps you need to do to gift that item.

Play couple of hours with that player in party(make sure he is also in COF) find some resonance or what ever they called and apply to that item. Then you gift that item.

Just an example to bypass trading in COF.

This process invalided all the benefits of the trading and you telling me that will succeed when there are other ways to trade and keep you cof bonuses in that game?

Gifting really isn’t trading. It’s one-directional & the gifter doesn’t/can’t get anything back. If you both had items that had dropped while you’re both in-zone then yes, you could call that a trade (though it’s a barter).

Yes, that is the entire point of resonances. To be able to give your friend an item that dropped when they weren’t around. We have no idea how many hours will be “required” for one to be likely to drop. So if you’re willing to play together for that long I guess that’s a win?

It’s also still not trading 'cause as the gifter, you get nothing in return. That’s why it’s called gifting. Plus, the whole gifting-via resonances thing can be done as MG as well.

The benefit of trading compared to CoF (not sure why I appear to need to explain this), is that you don’t need to play with the other person in order to give it to them, plus they give you something in return (gold). And the seller doesn’t need to be online when the buyer buys (not sure if that is required for gifting via resonances).

If you want to play for a few hours with randos in the hope that you/they will get some resonances & that they will drop some items useful for you & feel generous enough to give them to you, have fun with that I guess? I’d be surprised if most people who might want to trade would be willing to do that.

2 Likes

Besides what @Llama8 said, there’s also the issue that you can give them your CoF items, but they will need to also have CoF ranks to equip them. So if you have a friend that is MG and you gift him a CoF unique, he’ll still need to get the CoF ranks.

Also, the biggest problem with trade in PoE is sniping and price fixing. They could easily fix that by simply making the trade automatic (meaning you pay and it gets removed from the seller’s stash automatically), but they have no interest in doing that.
Not to mention RMT, which is completely denied by LE’s system.

GGG has no interest in fixing their trade system.

They came up with and announced a completely different system and within a couple of months they devised the factions system in response to criticism.