Lack of Avatar Customization Will Lose You Players

I will say that I will play Last Epoch regardless of character customization. I def wish though that there were just a few faces and skin tones. Different faces and a skin tone slider seem pretty easy to implement without having to re-design gear to fit body types.

How dare you! Telling the toons what genders they are!

On the more serious side. if you ask your wife if she would wait another year untill the game releases or play it on the 21st what would she say? I like a practical aproach where stuff like customisation is getting into the game later on or the removal of genderlock for example. I think all the needed changes to make customisation possible and to remove the genderlock will take a serious ammount of time and work.

She is playing, however she is just locking herself into the 2 female classes only. Which makes me roll my eyes tbh as I know she would love the Druid and Mage classes a ton.

I’m my head, every time my Mage casts a spell, she shouts, ‘IT’S MA’AM!’. And her purpose in the game is to destroy all the npcs that are mis-gendering her.

Avatar customization is actually a thing many people care deeply for, as proven by years of heated discussion about it. I do believe and hope it’ll eventually come, thus far I’ll consider myself lucky in that I enjoy the fantasy of an old mage and a… druidy druid, while not caring for the other classes much.

That being said, PoE comparisons do not stand. In PoE, you can play the same fantasy on different characters, with very few exceptions, and with different pros and cons - I’ve played the same exact fantasy (RF) with a trickster (young male), an elementalist (young female) and a hierophant (old male), with equal degrees of success. That’s point one.
Point two is that you can make your character look like anything, making the gender and age of your avatar a non-issue - hell, all of my characters look like the Elder (an eldritch abomination with tentacles, for those not familiar with the game) because I’m a huge Lovecraft fan. And that’s just one example, there are cosmetics for just about any absurd fantasy, so people are free to don whatever guise they wish (for a price). LE currently lacks that degree of customization (which is also what fills PoE’s coffers, people love to say that most people only buy stashes in PoE but never have I ever saw a hub without an angel, another kind of angel, at least a couple of demons, a lich, some blood abomination, a lovecraftian abomination, a skeletal pirate &c.), so the comparison quite simply does not stand.

I do understand there are other priorities before launch, obviously. PoE didn’t launch with the amount of cosmetic option it has now, either. Still, I stronly hope LE will follow a similar route, while hopefully also adding more customization options for the avatar as well aside from transmogs/cosmetic MTXs. And that’s because I want the game to succeed, nothing more, nothing less.

P.s. since I mentioned PoE, I’ll also mention D4. It succeeds in one field: maintaining revenue despite being a disaster gameplay-wise. That’s in part because it appeals to a very different and broader audience, granted. But to claim that character customization doesn’t play a big part there too would just being disingenuous, and that affects “casuals dads” and the “sweaty & disgruntled”. Because what is it that generates revenue among the casual D4 players? Cosmetics. And the casuals are those who stay and play over a longer period of days, as opposed to people like who complete the seasonal journey in 3 days and only go back to check whether a patch did something good, and/or for events.

Specifically post #20.

I guess it would be “nice to have”, i am honestly one of the people that click finalize and then never really care to much. But we are all different, and i agree that something like this should be available in someway hopefully in the future!
I will say that i hope gameplay, graphics, and endgame is abit higher on my tier list to work towards first.

Agree. Adding to this I would like to play a white paladin and also a black druid. I would like to play males instead of females. You might say it is racist or whatever -ist I do not care, but it is pisses me off that all games need to be so enlightened and woke. Yes I am eastern European and we have rich history of knighthood and no we did not have black knights (or population at all - no slaves, no guilt). Knighthood comes form Europe in the middle ages and not form Africa. On the other hand I can easily imagine to play an African shaman/druid. And please do not come to me with ‘oh it is a fantasy world and not a historical game,’ bs I do not care. We having enough of this crap on Netflix and Disney. So I hope I was clear and you guys (DEVELOPERS) take it as a constructive criticism on ideas and not against any race, gender or ism.

Interesting take on the subject with lots of unnecessary salt. Let me ask you one question:
Since you don’t seem to be interested in listening to other people’s arguments and trying to understand their position, why should anyone listen to yours?

1 Like

I know you certainly will not, but that is all right. I have achieved my goal already with stating some facts, like it or not. :slight_smile: Are you offended? It is your problem Mate.

No, not at all. I don’t really care about this topic or your opinion on it. I just skim over it from time to time to learn about the perspectives different people have on it. But thanks for considering. Also, there’s no point in arguing when “subjective facts” are involved. :wink: Have an awesome day. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You are being needlessly confrontational and trying to bait people and, as usual in these types of posts, using flawed arguments. I could say that you seem to have a mentally stuck in the middle ages, a low intelligence and you sound like a wife beater. I’m just stating some facts, like it or not. :slight_smile: Are you offended? It is your problem Mate.
I don’t think this kind of rethoric is either necessary or warranted.

But to address some of your points:
-Yes, knights come mostly from the middle ages and mostly from Europe. They weren’t exclusive to white people but that is not relevant, because LE doesn’t have knights. They have sentinels, which is something that didn’t exist in history, so EHG can make them look however they want. Not to mention knights were typically mounted warriors and there are none in LE either.
-Yes, shamans are many times equated to Africa. However, druids are celts and they were not usually black. Since primalists is also something that never existed in history, EHG can make them look however they want.

It’s possible that we will have some customization in the future. But it’s not a priority as gameplay stuff is more important to address now, like bug fixing, missing stuff, more endgame, etc.

2 Likes

:smiley: wife beater and low intelligence :smiley: You see this is what I have expected from ‘enlightened’ people. Even though I have not addressing/attacked anyone personally, you did. Thinking you have the moral high ground because I have ‘stuck in the middle ages’.
Does all above mean that you have higher intelligence? Do you consider yourself a smart person? I am happy for you Mate. Though clearly you did not understood the ‘oh it is a fantasy world and not a historical game’ part.
Again, I do not have problem if anyone wants to play ANY kind of race or gender as far as there is a choice. Usually one of the games most important part is IMMERSION where players can forget about the problems of the real world and can be a part of a different one with a character which he/she would like to impersonate especially if it is an RPG (even if an ARPG).

Oh, and my wife and daughter says hi and thanks for your concern of their well being! :slight_smile:

It’s possible the lack of customization will be an ‘issue’, but I think LE will be just fine without either of those two people, honestly.

You clearly (purposefully?) misunderstood my point. I wasn’t saying you’re those things, I was saying that calling things out and then saying that it’s the other person’s fault if they’re offended is a flawed argument.

I don’t think they can be cosidered facts if they are subjective.

That used to be called the Knight. Plus there’s the Paladin and Void Knight masteries.

Weren’t Samurai the same kind of thing as your stereotypical European knight? I’m sure the Chinese & any other martial society had them as well. So calling them “mostly European” is probably just a Eurocentric viewpoint.

So a heavily armoured warrior on foot wasn’t a knight?

I’m pretty sure he was trying to make an example of stereotypes rather than call you that, but it clearly got lost in translation (as I kinda thought it would).

Clearly, but not deliberately. What you said could easily be taken as an insult if your English isn’t good enough & if you’re a native English speaker it could be taken the same way but in a passive-aggressive manner.

1 Like

The void knight doesn’t really count, though, does it? I might be a little fuzzy on my history but I think a knight wielding void powers would have stood out :joy:

Knight, as we use the word, are simply warriors or nobles that were granted knighthood by the ruling power (or the Pope). They don’t even have to be warriors, as evidenced by the fact that people are still granted knighthood to this day.
Other societies might have had equivalents of knights, but we have other words for them, like Samurais. Although there are plenty of meaningful differences between them to warrant different words.

I did say typically. One of the definitions of knight in the merriam-webster dictionary is “a mounted man-at-arms serving a feudal superior”.

Fair enough. Text doesn’t always convey meaning well, as we all know.

How “realistic” do you want this putative character class to be? 'cause it’d suck playing it. The Sentinel used to be called the Knight, we have a Paladin class (I’ll let you go away & google what a Paladin is) & one of the other masteries has “Knight” in the name.

we dont need any customization. we dont need your gender agenda

That’s what I was trying to point out by phrasing it like that. :wink: