Lack of Avatar Customization Will Lose You Players

Before I share this I want to make it very clear that I support this game and so far I have been very impressed by it, but this one thing is really weighing on my decision to keep playing so I wanted to share it here. I downloaded Last Epoch as an alternative to Diablo IV. Right away, I was impressed by the game’s visuals and combat. It’s bright and colorful, the spell effects are satisfying and the combat is much better than I was expecting with all of the reviewers constantly saying D4 has it beat in that department. But there is one thing about this game that is ruining my experience, and it’s the fact that you are forced into playing someone else’s vision of what your character should be.

Sure, that makes sense in an offline, story driven game where the centralized characters have enough personality that they cannot be customized. But it makes literally no sense in the format of Last Epoch. I aboslutely HATE that in order to play Mage, I have to be an old man. Warlock looks like it’ll be a lot of fun and is very interesting, but I’m not going to play as a goth woman. It’s just not something I can immerse myself into. And why restrict anyone into playing a specific avatar when it’s not important to anyone but the developers? My wife wanted to get into this game, as we enjoyed playing Diablo 3 together, but was put off by the fact that she always plays Druids in every game but would have to play as a muscle-bound bearded man if she wanted to be a Druid in this game.

I’ll site here a couple of points as to why this should not be the case in your game, and why it would make the game infinitely better if this were rectified.

#1. In an interview with one of your lead developers between him and DM (DarthMicrotransactions) he sites the reason for not being able to reroll your mastery as to make that character “special” to you. He even goes as far as saying “We want you to feel like if you have a Fire Sorc that is YOUR Fire Sorc”. Well if that is the case what an odd decision to avatar lock all characters, given that now if I want “MY” Fire Sorc and “MY” Lightning Spellblade they have to look like the exact same dude. That is literally the opposite of how you make a character “special” to the player.

#2. It’s a terrible feeling when you go into a town and see 3-5 other characters that look exactly like you. Of course to some degree with armor sets etc, you can never truly avoid this. But seeing avatars that look EXACTLY like you ruins immersion.

#3. It adds an immense amount of replayability to a game. I know that seems stupid but I can’t tell you how many times my friends and I have rerolled on video games to change our avatar’s appearance on various games.

#4. It provides you a way to make money to continue the growth and development of a game that has a great amount of potential. You can sell avatar changes in your cash shops. These are non game-effecting and harmless money makers that no developer should feel shame in selling. Being able to change your avatar makes complete and total sense in a world where magic is real and abundant. This is simply an all around win for the developers AND the players.

#5. However few, you will definitively lose players because of the decision to avatar lock classes. I can assure you that my interest in the game is already waning because of it, my wife already decided not to play because of it, I see many people online complaining about it and it’s something that is a readily accessible feature in your biggest competition, Diablo. And before people flame me for comparing to Diablo IV, please remember that D4 has the same concurrent player count on STEAM alone. That is literally only the people that have Diablo IV on Steam, which has got to be an insanely small percentage of players compared to people that have the game on battle net.

#6 It’s not a time consuming or costly feature. Female/Male avatars can use the same skeleton. Meshes and textures are fast to create and easy to implement. This is something that could realistically be done in a few weeks, to add at least a bare bones character creator. Gender/Hair Color/Hair Options. They could even be minimal. Literally ANY customization is greather than none.

5 Likes

Hello and welcome to the LE community and forums

Your TL:DR is something a lot of people have brought up before and the devs are not totally against it, but it is just not priority.
While you and some other people might think it is a big deal and it will hamstring your longterm fun with the game. There are at least that many people who eitehr don’t care or who prefer it the way it is.

The argument that “they will lose players” can be said about basically everything. Whatever feature or thing they would NOT implement, when they instead get more work into character customization, gender, voice etc, might be the feature that otehr people will miss and open a thread about the exact same complaitn you are having.

Some of the things you request are so much work, that it would significantly impact how much other things they can do.

But I do have a couple of questions.

I can understand not wanting to play an old man as a mage.
But regarding Warlock and not wanting to paly a “goth girl” I don’t get it. I would not call her a goth call, but yeah she is a rather dark character, but my question is, what do you expect form a warlock? Some Witch with a Pink hat throwing charming spells around her or what?

Your captial part, that are suppose emphasize the message of the devs are compeltely wrong

Mike said it like this

“We don’t want this to be your MAGE, we want this to be your SORCERER
The primary emphasize is the mastery as a permanent character choice.

You are not playing a Sentinel (that could possibly be all 3 masteries). You are playing a PALADIN

I don’t want to sound rude, but how much did you play LE already?
Even if there would be all of the things you request, would you really spend that much more time with the game?

Because the main endgame loop is very repetitive gameplay and the only outstanding things are build diversity. Would it really matter if there is an Old Man beneath the fully decked armour? You couldn’t even see if its a Young Athletic Man instead.

EHG tried raising their quality since the 7.X.X patch cycle drastically, so much to the point where they would not just do some cheap adjustments.

Do not presume how much work something is. You do not knwo how much work it is, at least with a quality level that EHG feels like be worth it.

I can tell you already, if Male and Female character use the same skeleton without any adjustmetns most of the animatiosn will look off.

Also for 3D armour art, just changing the body shape will not make armour pieces look great.

12 Likes
  1. I can understand not wanting to play an old man as a mage.
    But regarding Warlock and not wanting to paly a “goth girl” I don’t get it. I would not call her a goth call, but yeah she is a rather dark character, but my question is, what do you expect form a warlock? Some Witch with a Pink hat throwing charming spells around her or what?

Answer: You can understand not wanting to play as an old man but you can’t see how a man may not want to play as a female? That’s pretty close-minded. Sounds like you’re letting your personal preference choose what others preferences should be.

1. **** Your captial part, that are suppose emphasize the message of the devs are compeltely wrong

Mike said it like this

“We don’t want this to be your MAGE, we want this to be your SORCERER
The primary emphasize is the mastery as a permanent character choice.

You are not playing a Sentinel (that could possibly be all 3 masteries). You are playing a PALADIN

Answer: This wasn’t a question but a statement.

1. I don’t want to sound rude, but how much did you play LE already?
    Even if there would be all of the things you request, would you really spend that much more time with the game?

Because the main endgame loop is very repetitive gameplay and the only outstanding things are build diversity. Would it really matter if there is an Old Man beneath the fully decked armour? You couldn’t even see if its a Young Athletic Man instead.

Answer: Yes I would genuinely play the game more, and may even get to end game. I can tell you as of now this game’s lack of avatar customization is a deal breaker for me. The game is too multiplayer focused to not have this feature. And it genuinely bothers me to be locked to an avatar that I don’t enjoy playing as. Enough to ruin an entire class. I am not alone in this.
EHG tried raising their quality since the 7.X.X patch cycle drastically, so much to the point where they would not just do some cheap adjustments.

1. Do not presume how much work something is. You do not knwo how much work it is, at least with a quality level that EHG feels like be worth it.

I can tell you already, if Male and Female character use the same skeleton without any adjustmetns most of the animatiosn will look off.

Also for 3D armour art, just changing the body shape will not make armour pieces look great.

Answer: This just isn’t accurate. The models can remain almost identical with a few minor tweaks to make the character look male or female. For example, Rogue could have the same build as the female but with a new face model and a breast reduction. Yes you would have to adapt armors, but after the initial armor adaptions you’d only be doing the work for the new armor sets which I would have to assume are not coming out so frequently.

You can understand the first one but not the second one?

Um. Okay. That’s pretty odd but, hey. :man_shrugging:

As to the other stuff from the OP a lot of this has come up before, it’ll come up again. There’s a road map and priorities and who knows what will be added in game over the coming years but this constant need for people to come in and say, “You’ll lose players” or “this is a bad choice” suggests that LE hasn’t been thinking/prioritizing and working to try to get where they can get with each iteration and, well, some people are just not going to be pleased. Whatever. Post this in feedback where it should be.

I don’t want to have to deal with the stress of customizing my avatar. It keeps me up at night, with chilling sweat. If I have to customize my character, each time, I will quit. Having to pick a name is already almost more strain than I can bear…

8 Likes

Lack of Avatar Customization Will Lose You Players

Not in any amount that matters, and not the type of players that are likely to be constructive or useful in the community anyway.

Tell us you don’t know anything about 3d modeling and texturing without telling us.

5 Likes

I can understand the sentiment. I definitely get more attached to my character as my own if I get to customize it. The way I see it my character is not the figure on the screen, but the build decisions, items, and skill specializations I chose to get to where I am. It would be icing on the cake if I could also design the look of my character but that’s about 5% of the character to me.

If that’s a deal breaker I think you’ll have to wait until some later patch cycles where EHG has both the time and resources to focus on a character model overhaul if they ever get to that point. I do hope you eventually get the end goal that you want, however I don’t think it’s going to be coming any time soon.

3 Likes

It’s not a dealbreaker, but the character models don’t meet my expectations. It would be an improvement if I didn’t have to see them up close on the character select screen.

Call it stereotypical, but what do you expect from a Acolyte/Dark Sorcerer from a visual standpoint?

I think a lot of classes have more variety in what they can be without feeling off.
I understand it is a subjective thing, but that is why I seriously wanted to know what kind of character do YOU think a Acolyte should be?

But your statement was wrong, you misinterpreted what Mike was saying.

I understand that and I know you are not alone, but still the amount of people that care this much about it, that would seriously not play the game at all or play it a significant amount less are very likely not worth the ressources at this point.
I still think this would only affect your early experience, because after some time when the campaign is over and your character is decked in amazing gear all of that customization will become secondary.

You don’t know and I don’t know how much work it would be exactly to statisfy EHG’s quality standard. But we are talking about 5 classes, with then 10 models.
Each class having ~10 body armours and dozens of skills. Each of these animations and models would at least needs minor adjustments, some a bit mroe than just minor.

Regardless of how much work you think it is, it is not negliable and EHG already said they are ope nto it. But not just yet.

5 Likes

I probably worded it very poorly.

I do understand that someone don’t want to play certain characters.

But when it comes down to sorcerer and acolyte, I think th stereotypical Acoylte is much less flexiable then a stereotypical Mage. I fully reckon this is very subjective and different people will have different stereotypes.

That is why I was genuienly curious what kind of character OP expects fro ma Acolyte/Dark Sorcerer

1 Like

Gender Lock will make them lose players, no customisation will make them lose players, lost players will make them lose players, the color green will make them lose players, earths magnetic field will make them lose players… the list is ongoing.

Will there be a lot of players that give EHG flag in their first released game when not everything is equaly good as from a multi billion dollar company? For sure they will because some people have nothing better to do then nagging and complaining.

To me this is no reason to not play the game but nitpicking. If it runines the fun for one just move on there have been a lot of games people haven’t played because they disliked it :slight_smile: . Those changes maybe will happen if there is ever a big expension of sorts and I realy realy realy hope EHG fixes more important things first before the give the people the opportunity to have a toon with pink hair and a boob slider.

6 Likes

About that, two things:

• While Diablo 4 might be the biggest fish in the pond, the most direct / most similar competitor is Path of Exile. An incredibly successful game, over 10 years old and still rocking. Without the smallest bit of character customisation. In other words, yes it is a nice thing, but it doesn’t make or break a game.
  • Diablo 4 looks and feels like a next generation arpg, due to a gigantic development budget and team. Years ahead of all the competition. No other game available today (again, in the arpg catefory) gets even close to comparing to it in terms of graphics and atmosphere. None. Expecting a small company to reach immediately a level of quality nobody else has ever achieved is a bit unrealistic.

Fair enough, Druid is also my favourite class in Diablo 3.

4 Likes

Almost like you aren’t a native English-speaker…

I always preferred the Druid in D1, far more realistic and fleshed out compared to the one in D3. Quite why they skipped the class in D2 I don’t know.

2 Likes

Coming from POE, this is really not even a care. i see my character maybe for few minutes in act one and then i never see it again since is fully dressed up. Sure i get this what you’re saying and would be nice but not a priority.

9 Likes

This is exactly what I’ve been saying since the beginning. If it were a game like D4 where you see the character up close in all the cinematics then I’d agree with them, but a lot of the LE characters are in heavy face-obscuring armour & there are no in-game cinematics where you see the character other than the pre-rendered ones on character selection.

6 Likes

I imagine this might be sarcasm, but I’m tired so I’m gonna let hit go whoosh over my head and reply that D1 didn’t have druid, but it did have monk in the unofficial expansion. And D2 had druid but no monk. And D3 had monk but no druid. And D4 has druid but no monk. So it seems like Blizzard just hits a toggle between those two every release. Which means that D5 will have monk and no druid again.

Just shower me in nice supporter packs, i will take care of customization xd. I hardly think players will be lost because of this. Diablo 4 has great customization and graphics and lost 99% of its players. It makes no sense, the reason why people are praising EHG is the customization of our gameplay, that’s why even as a small studio is so hyped. Arpg players don’t give 2 pennies on customization before the game starts but they care what happens after the game starts. I’m sorry my friend but you are in minority. “Btw, i meant to reply to someone else sry xd”

3 Likes

Yeah, I was going to point out similar. The customization in D4 makes sense because you actually see it. It would be an absolute waste of time in LE to do the same, because you’d see it for about three seconds on the character select screen and then never again.

2 Likes

Exactly, now check what Houlala said.

TBF, you’d see it on the character selection screen as well.

2 Likes

Yeah, I figured it was that. Still, I find it funny that Blizz just switches back and forth between those 2.

1 Like