Lack of Avatar Customization Will Lose You Players

That’s what I said!

1 Like

Yeah, I read it as the initial one for character creation. Sorry, quite tired due to year end + month end + bonus shenanigans.

1 Like

Not only that, but you can see it in inventory and other players see it when they check on you, which makes a big impact, but again, as far as looks go. if i inspect a player and i see him having a broken item looks way more beautiful for me personally xd.

You sure about that?

Oh, did you mean D4?

Yep D4, that’s why for them it made sense to focus on that.

Get some sleep fella!

I would if I didn’t have so much work to do. Then next month I’ll likely have pay rise spreadsheetery to do as well.

This shit’s almost like work I say!

For a bit of ancient history completely unrelated to the thread, the monk in Diablo 1 came in Hellfire. Which was developped by Sierra, not Blizzard.
Blizzard was actually quite opposed to it, but it was forced on them by their parent company, who also owned Sierra.

“When we were more or less forced to do the Hellfire expansion, it was over our protests, kicking and screaming all the way,” said Pat Wyatt. “Even though Diablo was Blizzard North’s baby, both North and South fought against doing Hellfire because it had become everyone’s baby. We felt the quality would be destroyed by having someone external work on it.”
(Taken from How a Diablo expansion led to behind the scenes trouble - Polygon)

Edit: Hellfire was excellent.

Yeah, I know. Which I why I said it was in the unofficial expansion. Even though Blizzard completely killed the Diablo franchise for me lately, I still love D1 and D2 and I have every Diablo so far, including expansions. And since I’m a sucker (and money isn’t much of an issue right now) I’ll probably even buy the D4 expansion as well. I just keep hoping for the best.

Funnily enough, I have played more hours in D1 since 2012 (when D3 was released) than I did D3 and D4 combined. And way more D2 (last one probably even more than PoE).

Well as someone who still relativ actively plays Diablo 4, i also enjoyed the Feature in Wolcen (despite many other issues it had), - and in general appreciate Character-Costumization for most of my games in a wide range (from Saints Row to Souls to Baldurs Gate 3 - it sometimes even effects if i’m really interested into a game or better rephrase it, it might be not as interesting for me with pre-defined chars like Souls as example… one of the main reasons i never liked sekiro much), because i just prefer to build and play my own characters. Not to say there aren’t Series, Genres and Games where i also dig pre-defined Characters (Uncharted, Zelda, Mario, Batman etc), but my overall preference is my own characters (i also like if it’s the thing inbetween - like a predefined character in many areas, but you can define it (like visually but also in terms of gameplay) in other areas). I totally get you.(I also get the point about gender-choice, was also one feature i highly appreciated in D3) And ngl. If Last Epoch had an Character-Creation like Diablo 4 would have, game would make for me another leap forward to an even better game as it already is.

That being said, while i’d apprecieate the feature (and kinda wish for it for the future) i also can see and understand that it might take quite some resources and stuff, which they might not have (right now) or don’t wanna waste for it. And even without the Character Creation i still will have a blast with the game.

I will just leave this here. :popcorn:

A warlock is a male practitioner of witchcraft.

All games where the player character occupies quite a bit more screen real estate? Plus BG3 which is an actual RPG where character customisation is kida the point.

Yes, yes it is and it disappoints me no end that EHG didn’t decide to use one of the many female-specific words for a practitioner of magic/witchcraft (though tbf, Witch doesn’t sound as interesting).

I though we were all supposed to be pro female empowerment & not ignoring their presence but what is worse than writing them out of the universe by using male words to describe them? Apart from actually denigrating, belittling & not valuing them for what they do & who they are.

1 Like

Not at all how 3d modling works

Unironically, yes, this is literally what I want from a witch.

1 Like

My two cents: fashion progression is important and I want it to be a bigger part.

I think that transmog is more important than character customization for that, so I hope EHG will focus on this.

I know Mike said this and it’s their game so ofc they can do what they prefer.
My opinion on this however is that everybody can say all they want but the fact still stand that:
You start a sentinel which EHG is calling a class.
After that you play a mastery 1 out of 3.
So in fact we are playing a sentinel (class) as well as an paladin (masterie).
I never had anything in this game before were i felt that it’s so wrong except for this.
Lets not act like this system is different with choosing a class and a masterie afterwards compared to a POE and some other ones.

Saying you are playing a PALADIN doesn’t change how EHG is presenting the system in the same way. This leads me to my last point which is, it’s only logical that a lot of people (me included) don’t feel like you ARE a PALADIN. It feels a bit forced to me like you need to have this same feeling while others ARPGS just have this same thing.
Don’t get me wrong EHG has all the rights to treat it this way. It just feels strange to me that its almost like, don’t ask for a refund on masteries because that’s your CLASS.
But guys my class is Sentinel, it literally says that when you create a character.

I do get the other explanation Mike gave recently about it takes so many hours to master a skill. That made more sense together with we want you to feel like this is the journey of your sentinel that mastered Void Knight.
The first explanation of Mike felt (to me ) like an attempt to stop further discussions like i said before. Iam not trying to be rude to Mike or EHG i absolutely love what he’s doing, i’m just being honest and disagree on 1 part. I hope my writing reflects that (despite it being bad english writing).

2 Likes

It reflects my (native English speaker) views almost perfectly.

I think this is most likely just a hold over for way back when everything first started to happen and as a way of presentation it has just remained in place despite fairly early on them emphasizing that you’re playing Individuals (The Paladin, The Warlock, etc.)

One simple way to do away with the notion of the the broader scope categories (Sentinel, Rogue, etc): at character creation just choose The Path of The Paladin, or The Druid, or The Sorcerer.)

When you get to the the point at The End of Time, you finalize it. Give the option as something like “DO YOU CHOOSE TO REMAIN ON THE PATH OF THE BLADEDANCER. YOU HAVE ONE FINAL CHANCE TO CHANGE THE FATE OF YOUR PATH.”

Or something like this.

1 Like

I look at it like in D&D: you can choose a rogue, then specialize into assassin/arcane trickster/etc. At that point, you’re technically still a rogue, but you no longer say that you are one. You’re an assassin. Or a thief. Your subclass will effectively define what you are.

I’d rather have EHG improve other aspects of the game than to spend time implementing D4-like customizations in a game that is centered around gameplay mechanics and not cinematic.

5 Likes