It's your own fault for gamers leaving the game

Your last line, As it should, makes us disagree.
That’s my opinion and yours, It works as it should, good luck attracting players again

Diablo 4 season 4 notice the title, loot reborn, I wonder why

I’m not attacking you, only showing that there are different playstyles.
For example, there were players that liked D3 and the fact that you could get BiS gear in less than a week. For others it was extremely boring (myself included).
It’s not an attack on you or anyone. Simply, D3 aims to appeal to the casual player, thus gear is easy to make.

It’s funny you mention that because BiS gear in D4 is now much harder to get than it was before. Even after the gold cost decrease.

That would involve a noticeable change in direction after Tencent’s investment, which hasn’t happened. The core gameplay hasn’t changed much in recent years.
Pretty much everything was in place before Tencent invested in EHG.
You’re free to have your suspicions. But this specific one doesn’t look very solid.

(Of course, if you could refrain from airing unfounded suspicions on Youtube or wherever, that would be great. But I suppose the internet wouldn’t really be the internet anymore.)

5 Likes

Yeah, what the tinfoil hat crowd fails to realize (or just doesn’t want to look at, because that would involve facts and reality) is that PoE’s gameplay loop has always been like it is now, long before tencent even looked in GGG’s direction. Same for LE.

But, you know, it’s easier to create conspiracy theories than face reality.

If anything, LE is being criticized (by a part of the player base) more because they don’t want to change the core loop than the opposite. But, you know, aliens and stuff.

I wouldn’t hold my breath on that. It will likely have a clickbait title and thumbnail as well (sorry, according to him it’s not clickbait, it’s “asking a question”). Most of youtube these days just look like a Fox News training ground.

3 Likes

Remember when all these players came forward and cried for help about constant disconnect issues? Remember how EHG did nothing?
Remember when peak players in March was 226K, 39K in april, and 12K in the last 30 days?
Failure to identify and fix game breaking issues are whats causing gamers to leave this game.

In addition to what DJ said, the core gameplay loop has been the same for years, well before Tencent invested. Don’t assume that your feverdreams have anything to do with reality.

Then they can blame the Big Evil-Corp for the devs doing stuff they don’t like.

That’s because Tencent told them not to. Obviously.

1 Like

I don’t remember that at all. Are you from a different timeline where that actually happened?

Remember when literally every game with cyclical content experienced peaks and valleys in player concurrency over time?

I think there is very obvious and low hanging fruits when it comes to this though.

I mostly agree with their filter take, we should have to look at items, but prophecies are starting to make me think prophecies should be removed and that loot added to the core game. When you only come across say 5 uniques an echo, hoving over them for 2 seconds each is nothing its fine. We dont need to filter LP when that is the gameplay loop. When the gameplay loop is “kill an enemy and 100 amulets pop out” and I have to now spend 200 seconds hoving each and every one of those amulets, with no monster killing in between, while the time per hover is the same, I am doing it in a unhealthy unfun manner. This is not good friction.

Samething with the materials currently. They at this point really do need to just instantly go into the materials pouch. We cant trade them or filter them, and they said they have no plans to do that. So I agree, we should have to click them. We should not have some weird “send to real storage” click that serves no purpose other then to make me go “why can I hold this, oh I didnt click my materials click tax haha”

The reason QoL is such a hot topic is because many frictions did at some point serve a purpose, and that friction is no longer serving its purpose so it should be filed down as that friction is used elsewhere.

like with the above prophecies example, You spend the time and friction of setting up prophecy chains, the extra friction of not being able to filter them well sucks because of friction that used to make sense for how loot was obtained, but no longer does.

Here is a tip: the numbers are going to drop in August, and even further in September.
You can start working on your next post!
Hope this helps.

1 Like

I see your point even though I disagree partially.
Especially regarding the prophecy example.

Why are you gathering 5-10 prophecies (depending on your lenses and CoF rank that is the nubmer of prohecies needed for 100 items to drop) for the same condition?
Pratically speaking you could have gotten way more out of prophecies when you spend less time rerolling just for those specific prohecies with different conditions. And than that would lead to a much more spaced out experience where you every now and then get a few of the items you want.
From my experience you can unlock 50-100K favor within 2-3 hours if you are playing at 400-600 corruption. That is not enough to buy neough prophecies for 100 items from the same condition. If you are sparing your favor so strictly to get so many items out of one condition that is a burden you put on yourself.

But I think we are also talking about slightly different types of friction here.

The type of friction I was mainly refering too would be things like overcoming certain challenges to get some type of reward. Like Legendary Crafting requiring a dungeon boss kill. This is probably not the type of friction most people would be thinking of as a first thought. Because a “boss reward” is not really a typical type of friction, but in LE’s case, because it is an integral part of item progression it kinda is.
Otherwise we would have a crafting station somewhere in town or just like regular crafting open a menu for that.

Second thing I was refering too would be the respeccing of skill sand masteries (skills losing some exp and masteries being not respeccable). This makes things much more meaningful, even though a lot of people hate it, I think it is a net positive for the game, because otherwise our characters would be lifeless shells that can be anything.

That is a exaggeration. EHG fixed a lot of things.
If they ahven’t fixed certain gam breaking bugs there is very likely a reason for it, such as not identifying the issue at hadn or something.

While having gameebreaking bugs like that causes players to drop I agree, I doubt that some of these gamebreaking bugs where so widespread that it caused thousands or ten thousands of players to quit.

While I do reckong these bugs exist, they are rare and very far between considering the whole communtiy and how many people actually have them.
A tiny fraction of the community is affected by such things.

1 Like

Let me first say I think LE is a fantastic game, even in its current state. I would expect this game to be gaining in player base.
The game breaking issues, are being minimized by the community. Those who no not suffer just see this as a great game and do not know how big of an issue this is.

I have blinders on and am not seeing anything they fix at this point because the game is not playable.
There is (well, was) a very large community that cannot enjoy this game due to disconnects.
Spend 10 mins and check THEIR forums and you will see that this HAS gone ignored.

A tiny fraction of the community is affected by such things? Buddy a tiny fraction of this community is the only thing left.

For every person reporting issues and bugs in the forum there are multitudes of people playing without an issue.

Again, I don’t say there are no such gamebreaking bugs, but the way you phrased it in your first post in this thread makde it sound like those issues are the reason the player base is declining.

Surely there are some people who quit because of it, but in a genre where player retention between major updates is already something to account for anyway, you can’t make correlations between that and a problem that affects an unknown number of people.

There even is the potential that many of the disconnect problems are not even due to the same root cause.
Some might have been fixed already, some EHG is still looking for fixes.

Also just because the current active plaer number dropped doesn’t mean all of these players not playing the game anymore have neglected and quit the game for good. The majority will return for sure with 1.1 or another major update after that.

They always put fixes out for various differen things. It is unfortunate that you have an issues that doesn’t seem to be fixed for your specific case, but that doesn’t mean EHG is doing nothing and ignoring people.

There is no reason to believe that EHG is not willing to fix these issues, some might just not be as easy to identify and solve.

Or maybe the issue is maximized by the loud minority :wink:

1 Like

Mostly this.
I’ve tried before to point out obvious issues, and I was always met with the same couple of fervent defenders gaslighting me, and coming up with bunch of “its your fault for this or that” excuses that didn’t make sense.
I got tired of it, and now I’m just sporadically visiting the forum to catch up and see if any of the issues I’ve had have been fixed, but nope.
I’m talking about game breaking bugs like shield throw builds being useless as the shield sometimes just hits invisible walls, or about the inconsistency of the grind and how long it takes for you to obtain any meaningful gear on non meta builds in a timely manner. After all, the game was marketed as something between D4 and PoE, a more casual experience where you won’t have to spend your entire life on it to complete a single character.
If I put my tinfoil hat on, I’d say there’s design to keep people playing by not giving them what they need on purpose. On my battlemage, I couldn’t find a single level to mana strike affix, on another character they dropped every now and then.
In come the defenders about how my filter is not setup properly, or how my build is not good enough, or this or that. I just got tired and stopped playing, and I won’t play until anything meaningful is changed. In PoE you can get a divine orb extremely early, which will mega boost your progress, and it’s fun! Nothing of that sort can happen here. There’s is no surprise, just endless painful grind.

These are two different things, though.
The shield throw bug (and other skills like shield rush) definitely need a fix. No one disputes that.
The grind is a design choice and it’s something that some players enjoy. No matter where you draw the line on grind, there will always be players that think it’s too much or too little. So it’s up to the devs to decide where they want their game to land, what type of players they want playing their game and what’s their game’s identity. Because the grind is a part of the identity.
Then it’s up to the players to decide if they want to play the game or not.

Personally, I like the way the grind is in LE. I think D3/D4 is much too easy and PoE is much too hard. LE, to me, is in the goldilocks zone.

Of course, each player feels differently about this. But it’s not a game issue that needs to be fixed, it’s a game philosophy that players need to decide if they like or not.

2 Likes

The players are deciding.
They marketed the game as such. Where you won’t have to spend much time on a passive tree that’s huge, or need 3th party tools to make a build viable.
There’s also always the option of Hardcore where they can pander to the players that want huge grinds. We’re talking like we can’t have both things. We can. One is casual, as they marketed the game, and there’s already a HC there for people looking for a challenging grind and fights. Am I taking crazy pills? What are we even talking about here…

That is fine. Not all games need to appeal to all players and not all games want to reach #1. Some just want to provide an experience to their playerbase.

There is no difference at all between hardcore and softcore. The grind is exactly the same. A hardore character that’s still in hardcore and a softcore character that has the “deathless” tag are objectively the same thing.
And players that like to play hardcore aren’t looking for extra grind. They’re looking for the challenge of not dying. It’s completely unrelated.

They never marketed the game as casual. The only people that marketed the game as such were players/streamers. And, if they were doing it right, they were marketing it as more casual than PoE. If you want a casual game, there’s D3/D4 for that.

We can’t. Not unless they introduced another game mode. And making an “easy loot” game mode and a “hard loot” game mode would effectively change the game’s identity to D3 2.0.
While that would appeal to some players, it would also cause many of the current playerbase to leave.

The idea that “It’s an option, you don’t have to use it” is a false argument (and a dishonest one at that), since having an option that effectively cripples your character isn’t really an option for almost everyone. Just for the few that like challenges.
Much like introducing an option for “God mode” would still be an option but would very effectively kill the game.

Yes. What you want is D3 loot. What EHG (and a significant portion of the playerbase) wants is something else.
It doesn’t matter where you draw your line on where the loot grind is just right, lots of players will hate it and leave because of that. So EHG has to decide where they want their line drawn.
Right now it’s harder than D4 and easier than PoE. And it seems that is where they like it.

It’s not a game issue, it’s a game philosophy. One needs fixing by the devs. The other doesn’t. That doesn’t mean that they won’t change it at some point and make it easier (or harder). And when they do, most likely the players that were happy with it will leave and new ones will come in. But it still won’t be a game issue and not something that needs fixing.

From everything EHG has done so far, it seems like they are much more interested in making a good game that they (and players like them) would like to play, rather than trying to reach #1. If they do fine, but their game identity, for now, is more important than that. Which is just fine for a significant portion of the playerbase.

2 Likes

More gaslighting. Just like I said above.

Grind is grind. The game is a grind. Nobody is disputing that. The game is literally killing monsters. What you’re conflating is grind with how you grind, and before I get more gaslighting I’ll elaborate.
Grind is killing monsters to achieve a goal. Those monsters drop loot that make said grind easier and easier and more satisfying. That’s literally the game. That’s it!
What we have now is just grind, and unless you spend tons of time in the game you’ll never reach that satisfying part of killing monsters easily, and you’ll never have the sense of achievement. Just a blunt time wasted. You do understand what the sentence “Progressing in a timely manner” means? If I spent just as much time here as I spent playing PoE, I’d still be at corruption 200.
Everyone marketed the game, and EHG did nothing to elaborate. They just went with it. I couldn’t be fked to be honest, but I’m pretty sure they also mentioned that in a developer video on youtube where they talk about what the game is going to be.

Go fervent defender. Forward! I’m going back to my cave, and I’ll come back in 3 months when maybe something changes. You’re just unwilling to understand the issue. For you, there’s no issue. It won’t be long when more players leave and the actual situation finally penetrates that thick skull.

You should search what gaslighting actually means. It’s not just a keyword for people to throw when someone disagrees with them.

Progressing in a timely manner is a personal metric that will change according to the player. For some players LE is slow in this metric, for others it’s actually fast.
Just like for many D3 was way too easy and they left the game.
Just like for many PoE was way too hard and they left the game.

Right now, LE’s gear progression is easier than PoE’s and harder than D4’s. Whichever way you try to shift that line, there will always be players that like it and ones that don’t.
You don’t like the current line. That’s fine. If this is a dealbreaker for you, that’s fine as well. You don’t have to like every game. And not every game can appeal to everyone.

Especially regarding this, because you can’t please everyone. If LE would change to make it so that you like the gear drops and feel that it’s in a “timely manner”, many other players wouldn’t like it and would leave.

No, it seems that you’re the one that doesn’t understand. Because there really isn’t an issue. Much like Dark Souls doesn’t have an issue. It just makes a hard game and players either like or don’t. If they made the game easier, maybe they would have more players, but that’s not what they want.

So yes, more players will leave when they understand that this game isn’t for them.
Much like many players left PoE when they realized that it wasn’t for them.
Much like many players left D4 when they realized that it wasn’t for them.

You just want the game to be like what you want. But what you want isn’t what everyone wants. Or what EHG wants. You can leave and come back later but it’s not likely that it will change, since it’s a game identity issue.

2 Likes