Immense RAM demand under Linux (Manjaro)

Hello Last Epoch Cummunity,

I was hoping the new patch would fix performance issues under Manjaro but unfortunately - at least in my experience - no improvements.

related post: Random crashes patch 0.7.6c - Linux (openSUSE + Manjaro)

My System:
CPU: I5-4570
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Saphire RX 470, 4GB

Problem:
The game is asking for over 8GB of RAM just idling in the menu. While playing, this can go up as high as 13GB causing a complete system freeze. The settings are usually set to ultra, but I have experimented with lower ones with barely any changes (less than 1GB difference). I’ve tested with low animation-heavy builds like Vengeance Paladin as well as with a Lich and a Sorcerer, with little difference. CPU usage is very fine (usually 50%, spiking at 70%). The freezes can happen in different situations: fights, loading and in-town. Weirdly, this game also causes my case fans to go really fast even though all temperatures are more than fine around 50° CPU and 70° for GPU. I have not seen behavior like this with any other games under Manjaro, even those with better graphics.

I’m curious to hear if any other members have experienced similar issues playing this game under Linux.

Hey… cant comment on Linux specifically, but running on Ultra settings with your config on Windows 10 would make the game virtually impossible to play with any enjoyment. I run a i5-7500/1060/16gb ram at 1080p with all settings on low to get a decent average of 60fps and the game is dog slow in gameplay (i.e. out of town) if I set things to ultra. CPU & GPU utlisation are fine and similar to yours and while memory does get up to 8-10gb it doesnt get much more.

Perhaps you are expecting too much of it… especially as the game is definitely not properly optimised yet?

I came here to see if they fixed this. I have 16GB of RAM and I don’t play it on max settings, more like medium. It starts with around 13GB and it goes up from there until the game crashes. If I’m lucky it takes an hour and I can play a little bit but it can happen after 15 min.

We had this problem forever. They used to tell us they were working on it but now if you look at similar threads they don’t even answer anymore, they don’t care. They got our money with lies and now we get the middle finger.

Guess what they didn’t forget to add? Micropayments. They want you to pay for the game then buy more things. If it looks like a scam and they act like scammers, it’s a scam.

Hey… So obviously the issue is specific to Linux cause the memory doesn’t creep up much beyond 10gb on Windows 10 (* on my system at least) no matter how long I play.

Cant speak for EHG but they have been fixing things regularly so I dont agree with your comments about them giving us the finger. The game has not even officially released so to make that kind of a statement seems premature… If they officially drop support for something they promised and you paid for, then sure, you are entitled to be pissed, but the game is still in EA and they haven’t said they are dropping Linux support.

Micropayments - this is a separate issue entirely and has been discussed and frothed over in other posts.

I don’t care if they have been fixing things regularly. This problem has been around since the very beginning of the beta and there’s no solution. And as I said, they don’t even answer anymore.

What good is an EA if you can’t even play it? While they focus on changing some minor animations some of their supports can’t even play.

Anyway, I don’t care anymore. If the game becomes playable in the future maybe I’ll play it. If it doesn’t I won’t lose my sleep over it.

Similar issues on an Ubuntu variant w/NVIDIA proprietary drivers and Proton. It was even worse running w/o Proton.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.