Huge frame drops from moon spires when their VFX is very close to the camera

apologies for the low quality of the gif. i was trying to capture only the FPS display but since i was busy juking the blasts from this moon spire, i flubbed the region selection and captured the entire screen instead. i thought that i had seen some comments from others on the forum that they had experienced similar problems, but i couldn’t find any to quote. perhaps they were on discord.

as can (almost) be seen in the gif, when the moon spire blast is far “north” of the player, there is minimal to no impact on the FPS, but when positioned so that the “descending” VFX passes directly in front of the camera, it causes a massive drop that quickly recovers. it’s very hard to read the numbers in the gif but i go from around 70fps down to somewhere in the 40s.

i was reminded of the recent fix for objects that fade out when blocking the camera’s view. i have no idea if the issues are related, but since they both involve things being close to the camera, i thought it was worth mentioning.

edit: also, this was a 3 spire map. the effect was much worse with multiple blasts, but i just couldn’t stop moving enough to screen cap

Yup, I’ve noticed that too. It can drop the fps by ~20-30 fps.

Got the same issue. Also happens with blood spires for me, soul spires and fire are fine.

There is another post in the Tech section with exactly this same observation… I havent had a moonspire map to test it myself yet…

1 Like

linking to that thread to increase visibility for both

Finally got a Moon Spire … same thing happening for me… At very low graphics settings I am not finding it as pronounced as the other reports but its enough to see a drop…

Also think I noticed something - could be imagining it - but it seemed to me that the fps drop only happens after the actual spire attack hits but towards the end of the animation… Only way to tell would probably record it with the fps displayed and go through it frame by frame… but i am feeling too cold and lazy to do that right now… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Moon spire FPS is a known issue. I believe we have a fix for it internally.

Thanks for the report.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.