How to Not Die in Last Epoch

I notice a lot of people post threads about dying to bosses in Last Epoch. Or generally having issues in high corruption encounters, tier 4 boss fights, stuff like that. Tenkiei posted a great video outlining many successful strats and techniques to stay alive. If you like these kind of videos and want him or others to make more, give it a look:

How to Scale your Defenses in Last Epoch (Life, Ward, Low Life) (youtube.com)

3 Likes

The simplest ā€œstratsā€ are simple, donā€™t let your hp drop to zero & obey the boss mechanics (helps with the former). And donā€™t make glass cannon builds.

One of the most important things is to fully understand boss mechanics for T4 dungeons. If youā€™re not playing an OP build, knowing the mechanics is the difference between living or dying.

Play safe.

Main things for those who dont want to see video:

• get resist to 75% to make sure enemies get 0% bonus

• get as much %none physical reduction as it applies to dots

• get affix + amulet [to have dot mitigation]

• socket in sealed affix [dots are removed on pot use]

• 100% critical avoidance or 100% crit damage reduction

*ideally 30% damage taken is retaliation to enemies if you can get it

• twisted heart: for ward generation, or a lot of hybrid health with %ofmaxhp converted to ward each second [low hp] combine this with endurance as you have low hp

• Xheal on hit/ spell hit / dot

• chance to apply fraility on hit, chance to get ward on hit

• damage is dealt to mana before health [can add 1000 effective healh on some builds]

Why? Itā€™s a % after mitigation & I donā€™t think it can be leached from (but Iā€™m not sure). There are more useful affixes you could get.

Frailty & chill are awesome affixesā€¦

I think mobility is an often overlooked defensive player skill. Not all classes can do this, but when I play falconer, I literally NEVER stop moving other to loot items.

This game has the WORST boss fight design of ALL the ARPGs Iā€™ve ever played, and itā€™s very simple to kill them, you can play with one of the gameā€™s 2 builds (yes, the game currently only has 2 builds) ultra ward staker who IGNORE everything the boss does or some flc bomb that hits 99,999,999 and kills the boss instantly

ARPG golden rule:

Skill vs Powerful build

The less you have of one, the more you will need of the other.

Exhibit A:

3 Likes

I just never leave the town. Feels super safe so far.

1 Like

games 2 builds? please elaborate. Iā€™ve seen so many powerful builds I have a hard time distinguishing the op ones as each class can be great.

This is what is killing players. If you have to do mechanics that isnā€™t fun and your build is weak. The key is making it to where mechanics donā€™t matter. You should either kill Julra before her explosion or have a build that can tank it and stand in her purple goop. Same applies to other bosses.

Yeah but then you have to be good.

In other words, dance around little red marks on the floor on an ultra-polluted screen and donā€™t care about the boss

Yeah, what Iā€™m getting from the replies is that people want a game more like Vampire Survivors rather than one that requires any actual skill.

And no, Iā€™m not advocating for Souls-like stuff.

1 Like

Me too, but sometimes I run into enemies or aoe and its over. :sweat_smile:

Boss fights take repetition. It took me a good 20 tries before I figured out the dragon bombs.

Thatā€™s what the ARPG genre is though. Itā€™s about looking at the mobs they explode and you pick up the loot. The faster and better you are at this = more loot. ARPGs are loot hunting trading games.

D2 is basically this and that game is timeless, also arguably the best ARPG ever made. PoE picked up on where D2 left off which is fast clearing and OP build for more Loot. If it takes too long to get the loot in RNG loot based games you will never get the loot you need.

Are ARPGs like D2, PoE, LE supposed to be skill based? I never knew that. I thought they were power build progression based to explode the content in order to get that Glorious Loot! Most players arenā€™t looking for skill challenges in this genre. They are looking for loot hunting. Then finding those ultra rare trophy items. Thatā€™s the excitement!

ARPGs are about the loot and builds. The point is making a new build to pick up more loot.

Since weā€™re talking about bosses, yes for PoE and LE, yes/no for D2.
You need skill to beat ubers in D2 and you need some for other bosses that canā€™t be face tanked, though there arenā€™t many of these.

PoE was the game that basically created the one-shot boss mechanics/multiple phases in ARPGs, or at the very least popularized it. Sirus, Elders, Maven, etc, all have mechanics that you need to avoid. That requires skill.
LE just adopted the same trend, though it seems the new pinnacle boss will have a different approach. Weā€™ll have to see when 1.1 comes.

1 Like

You need gear not skill. These are gear based games not skill based. Then with powerful gear we can get more powerful gear. Itā€™s a loop. Itā€™s a loot hunting game not skill based. If you increase the skill then it gets in the way of loot hunting.

Some people want to slow down D2R and say we want harder content however that gets in the way of loot hunting. If you slow down runs you slow down loot.

This then again depends on gear. My VK hammerdin couldnā€™t touch T4 julra and is a bad build for that fight. You could argue itā€™s a skill issue. However itā€™s really a gear/build issue and my HH/Bolt pally stand in the blast and goop just tank and spank.

These games are gear/build based and the goal is an efficient powerful build to find more gear and make even more powerful builds. Thatā€™s the point. If a mechanic kills you then you need MORE GEAR.

In these games itā€™s not about can you defeat X boss but how fast you did it. Those become the challenges. Can you ā€œTankā€ the mechanic. We see these in D2 in not ā€œIFā€ you can beat Ubers but how fast. Players create their own skill challenges the Devs donā€™t need too.

This genre is about loot hunting not skill. You find a powerful cool item and then you say ohhh let me make a new build around that. Rinse and repeat.